Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke for four hours during his yearly address to the nation. Putin noted the war in Ukraine as U.S. representatives continue to push for a ceasefire. CBS News’ Haley Ott reports.
source
PHOENIX (AP) — Erika Kirk, widow of Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk and the organization’s new leader, endorsed a potential presidential bid by Vice President JD Vance on the opening night of the conservative youth group’s annual conference.
After telling the cheering crowd that Turning Point would help keep Congress in Republican hands next year, she said, “We are going to get my husband’s friend JD Vance elected for 48 in the most resounding way possible.”
Vance would be the 48th president if he takes office after President Donald Trump.
Kirk’s statement on Thursday is the most explicit backing of Vance’s possible candidacy by a woman who has been positioned as a steward to her late husband’s legacy. Charlie Kirk had become a powerbroker and bridge builder within the conservative movement before he was assassinated in September.
Vance was close with Charlie Kirk, whose backing helped enable his rapid political rise. After the assassination, Vance and his wife joined Erika Kirk in Utah to fly her husband’s remains home to Arizona aboard Air Force Two.
Vance is set to speak to Turning Point on Sunday, the conference’s last day. The convention has featured the usual spectacle and energy that have characterized the organization’s events, but the proceedings have also been marred by intense infighting among conservative commentators and estranged allies who have turned on each other in the wake of Kirk’s death.
As Trump’s vice president, Vance is well-positioned to inherit the movement that remade the Republican Party and twice sent Trump to the White House. But it would be no small task for him to hold together the Trump coalition, which is built around personal loyalty to him more than shared political goals.
Various wings of the conservative movement already are positioning to steer the party after Trump’s presidency, a skirmish that’s becoming increasingly public and pointed.
Turning Point, with its thousands of young volunteers, would provide a major boost for Vance in a fractious primary. Now 41, Vance would be the first Millennial president if elected, a natural fit for the organization built around mobilizing youth.
Trump has repeatedly mused about running for a third term despite a constitutional prohibition. However, he’s also speculated about a 2028 ticket featuring Vance and Secretary of State Marco Rubio.
Although Rubio previously ran for president in 2016, he has said he would support Vance as Trump’s successor.
___
Brown reported from Washington.
Nvidia Unveils Plans for Campus in Northern Israel
American chipmaker Nvidia has formally unveiled plans to build a major new campus in northern Israel, confirming that Kiryat Tivon has been selected as the site.
The project, described by the company as a long-term strategic investment, is expected to reshape employment, housing demand and regional development across the north of Israel. Construction is slated to begin in 2027, with Nvidia planning to move its first teams into the site in 2031. Total investment in the campus is estimated at several billion shekels spread over multiple years.
According to financial daily Globes, Nvidia has agreed to pay NIS 90 million, before VAT, for the initial parcel of land, in addition to covering infrastructure development costs. The first phase includes roughly 90 dunams, or about 22.5 acres, with further expansion anticipated later.
Government approvals for the project have already been secured. The Israel Land Authority signed off on the allocation of the site, while Defense Minister Israel Katz provided the required authorization because the land is being acquired by a foreign-owned company.
In November, Construction and Housing Minister Haim Katz said the planned campus would span about 160,000 square meters and eventually employ more than 8,000 people, though Nvidia has not yet publicly confirmed those figures.
Albert Brooks said he’s still in shock over the death of his friend Rob Reiner, whom he met at 14 years old.
source
Dec 19 (Reuters) – The U.S. has imposed new Venezuela-related sanctions on seven individuals, the Treasury Department said in a statement on Friday.
(Reporting by Bhargav Archaya; Writing by Christian Martinez)
ByteDance, the Chinese company that owns TikTok, reached an agreement with a group of American investors so the popular social media app can remain in operation in the U.S., according to a source familiar with the negotiation. Megan Leonhardt, a senior writer for Barron’s, joins CBS News with more.
source
SAO PAULO, Dec 19 (Reuters) – A court in Brazil’s Minas Gerais state has granted a preliminary injunction in favor of Brazilian company Coffee++, ordering international giant Nestle to stop using the Coffee+ brand, according to a court document seen by Reuters.
Judge Claudia Helena Batista granted Coffee++’s request for a provisional injunction on Wednesday, citing potential harm to the Brazilian company due to consumer “confusion” between the brands.
Nestle may face unspecified fines if it fails to comply with the ruling and remove all items bearing the Coffee+ logo from physical and online points of sale, according to the ruling.
“The defendant’s (Nestle’s) use of an identical mark belonging to the plaintiff could cause harm to the applicant, given that it may generate confusion among the general consuming public,” Batista said.
The ruling is provisional but Coffee++ has vowed it will not back down from the dispute.
“We will fight to the end to defend what we have built with legitimacy, hard work and love for Brazil’s coffee. What is at stake is not only Coffee++. We are defending the sovereignty of Brazilian brands,” said Coffee++ CEO and partner Leonardo Montesanto.
Coffee++ has been the legitimate holder of the trademark since 2020 “for products in the coffee segment,” it said.
Coffee++ is preparing for international expansion and will participate in trade fairs in Dubai and Paris in 2026, but faces “an attempt at elimination by one of the largest corporations in the world,” it said.
Nestle did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Coffee++ has already registered its trademark in more than 30 countries, including the European Union, Japan and Argentina, and is registering the brand elsewhere, it added.
The Brazilian company initially tried to resolve the matter out of court but to no avail, it said. Instead of a resolution, Nestle filed a lawsuit on September 24 seeking to invalidate the Coffee++ trademark in Brazil, the company said.
“We will continue to act with full transparency and determination, taking all necessary legal measures to protect what is rightfully ours,” Montesanto said.
(Reporting by Roberto Samora in Sao Paulo; Writing by Oliver Griffin; Editing by Matthew Lewis)
Federal prosecutors have unveiled charges against six more people accused of defrauding programs in Minnesota — adding to a scandal that has ensnared over 90 people..
source
Dec 19 (Reuters) – The Space Development Agency, part of the U.S. Space Force, said on Friday it has reached agreements with four defense suppliers to build 72 satellites, worth about $3.5 billion collectively.
The agency said Lockheed Martin, L3Harris Technologies, Northrop Grumman, and Rocket Lab USA have signed fixed-priced contracts for 18 space vehicles each.
The infrared satellites, which will be used for missile warning, tracking and defense systems, are expected to be launched into low-earth orbit in 2029.
“The addition of these satellites will achieve near-continuous global coverage for missile warning and tracking, along with payloads capable of generating fire control quality tracks for missile defense,” said the agency’s Acting Director Gurpartap Sandhoo.
These satellites belong to Tranche-3 and support the space agency’s objective of launching a new tranche every two years to refresh its satellite architecture with updated technology.
In September, the first Tranche-1 space vehicle, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, was launched from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California.
The agency plans to include a total of 154 operational space vehicles in Tranche-1, which will be ready for initial warfighting capability in 2027.
(Reporting by Aishwarya Jain in Bengaluru; Editing by Krishna Chandra Eluri)
By Daphne Psaledakis and Timothy Gardner
WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) – The United States on Friday imposed sanctions on family members and associates of Nicolas Maduro and his wife, as Washington ratchets up pressure on the Venezuelan president.
The U.S. Treasury Department in a statement said it had imposed sanctions on seven people it said were tied to Maduro and his wife. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent accused them of “propping up Nicolas Maduro’s rogue narcostate.”
“We will not allow Venezuela to continue flooding our nation with deadly drugs,” Bessent said.
“Maduro and his criminal accomplices threaten our hemisphere’s peace and stability. The Trump administration will continue targeting the networks that prop up his illegitimate dictatorship.”
Venezuela’s information ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Maduro and his government have vehemently denied links to crime and say that the U.S. is seeking to oust him in order to take control of Venezuela’s vast oil reserves.
In recent months, the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has been ratcheting up pressure on Maduro, executing a large-scale military buildup in the southern Caribbean.
It has carried out strikes against suspected drug vessels in the region, seized a sanctioned oil tanker off the coast of Venezuela, and declared a “blockade” of all sanctioned oil tankers entering and leaving Venezuela.
Trump has also repeatedly said that strikes on land in Venezuela are coming soon.
Friday’s action sanctioned relatives of Carlos Erik Malpica Flores, the nephew of Maduro’s wife, Cilia Flores. The U.S. says Malpica Flores was involved in a corruption plot at state oil company PDVSA. He was sanctioned by Washington last week.
His mother – the sister of Maduro’s wife – as well as his father, sister, wife and daughter were hit with sanctions on Friday.
The Treasury on Friday also extended a general license protecting Venezuela-owned refiner Citgo Petroleum from creditors through February 3 that was set to expire on December 20. It was a far shorter extension than the last one Treasury issued in June, which had a six-month duration.
Washington has protected the Houston-based company from creditors in recent years even amid a court-organized auction of shares in its parent company, PDV Holding. The license temporarily bans transactions with a Venezuela-issued bond collateralized with Citgo equity.
A U.S. judge in November authorized the sale of shares in the parent of Citgo Petroleum to an affiliate of Elliott Investment Management, following his approval of a $5.9 billion bid from the company in a court-organized auction to pay Venezuela-linked creditors.
The sale order, which is pending Treasury Department approval, was the last major legal step to wrap a two-year auction aimed at paying up to 15 creditors for debt defaults and expropriations.
(Reporting by Daphne Psaledakis and Timothy Gardner; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Rosalba O’Brien)
