• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Trump administration restricts 2 Honduran election officials’ visas over special vote count

Trump administration restricts 2 Honduran election officials’ visas over special vote count 150 150 admin

TEGUCIGALPA (AP) — The Trump administration restricted visas for two leftist Honduran election officials, citing interference in the Central American country’s special vote count.

The U.S. State Department said in a statement Friday it revoked the visa of Mario Morazán, a magistrate of the Electoral Justice Tribunal, and denied a visa application from Marlon Ochoa, a member of the National Electoral Council. Both belong to the leftist ruling LIBRE, or Liberty and Refoundation, party.

“The United States will not tolerate actions that undermine our national security and our region’s stability,” the statement said. “We will consider all appropriate measures to deter those impeding the vote count in Honduras.”

Nearly 20 days after the elections were held, Hondurans still do not know the results of the presidential race. Due to the narrow margin between the two leading candidates, electoral officials have carried out a special revision of 2,792 ballot boxes that show alleged inconsistencies and errors. Officials began the special vote count on Thursday after more than a week of the count being paralyzed.

With 99.85% of the vote counted so far, conservative candidate Nasry Asfura of the National Party — whom U.S. President Donald Trump had backed in the lead-up to the election, fueling accusations of election intervention by his opponents — is narrowly leading with 40.24% of the vote. Fellow conservative Salvador Nasralla of the Liberal Party followed with 39.64%.

In a distant third place is the ruling party’s candidate, Rixi Moncada of Liberty and Refoundation, with 19.12% of the vote. Moncada has not recognized the results.

This is the latest example of the Trump administration weighing in on Honduran affairs throughout the election. Over the past year in office, it has wielded its power in Latin America more aggressively than most U.S. governments in recent history. Trump has openly offered support and funds to right-wing allies, while applying punishing pressure to adversaries, often on the left.

Trump had also pardoned former Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernández, sentenced last year to 45 years in prison for his role in a drug trafficking operation by a U.S. court.

source

Epstein survivor Sharlene Rochard calls Justice Department's partial files release "not sufficient"

Epstein survivor Sharlene Rochard calls Justice Department's partial files release "not sufficient" 150 150 admin

The Justice Department released a new batch of files related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein on Friday. Epstein survivor Sharlene Rochard joins with her reaction. Then, Spencer Kuvin, an attorney who represents some Epstein survivors, provides further analysis.
source

Albert Brooks remembers friend Rob Reiner in CBS News special

Albert Brooks remembers friend Rob Reiner in CBS News special 150 150 admin

Friends of Rob and Michele Reiner will be sharing memories this weekend in a CBS News special honoring their life and legacy. Actor Albert Brooks is among them.
source

Anthony Joshua defeats Jake Paul by knockout

Anthony Joshua defeats Jake Paul by knockout 150 150 admin

Former two-time heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua defeated YouTuber-turned-fighter Jake Paul​ by knockout in the sixth round of their much-anticipated bout at the Kaseya Center in Miami late Friday night.
source

Trump said he has no bigger healthcare plans: Obamacare will ‘repeal itself’

Trump said he has no bigger healthcare plans: Obamacare will ‘repeal itself’ 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON, Dec 19 (Reuters) – U.S. President Donald Trump said he does not plan to unveil a broader healthcare overhaul and that there was no need to repeal the Affordable Care Act, which provides access to health insurance, because Americans will just stop using it.

“As far as I’m concerned, I rolled it out last night,” Trump told NBC on Thursday, a day after his fellow Republicans in the House of Representatives passed a healthcare bill and blocked a Democratic-backed extension of federal subsidies for health insurance premiums.

“I don’t have to do anything, because Obamacare would just repeal itself automatically because nobody’s going to want to use it. Too expensive,” he added in the phone interview released Friday.

About 24 million Americans buy their health insurance through the ACA, nicknamed Obamacare because it was passed under Democratic President Barack Obama. The U.S. government increased subsidies during the COVID-19 pandemic, but that aid expires on December 31 unless Congress acts, leaving users vulnerable to potentially sharply higher costs starting January 1.

About a dozen House Republicans have pushed for their own bipartisan healthcare reforms aimed at protecting constituents in swing districts before November’s elections, which threaten their majority control. Healthcare costs along with other higher consumer prices have fueled public discontent over the economy and could loom large at the polls.

Instead, House Republicans this week passed a Trump-backed bill that aims to lower premiums for some people while reducing overall subsidies and raising premiums for others, starting January 2027 – two months after voters cast their ballots.

“It’s a very simple plan,” Trump told NBC. “We’re going to pay the money directly to the people… we’re going to let them buy their own healthcare.”

(Reporting by Susan Heavey; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)

source

Exclusive-BofA bonuses will jump for investment bankers this year, sources say

Exclusive-BofA bonuses will jump for investment bankers this year, sources say 150 150 admin

By Saeed Azhar and Milana Vinn

NEW YORK, Dec 19 (Reuters) – Bank of America will boost bonus payouts for its best performing investment bankers and increase its bonus pool for the division after a surge in deals this year, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

Top dealmakers could get increases of about 20%, while payouts could be flat for mid-level performers, one of the sources said. Year-end compensation discussions are still in progress, and the numbers could change.

Last year, the second-biggest U.S. bank increased average bonuses by 10%. The bank traditionally informs bankers about the payouts in January.

BofA declined to comment.

The lender is ranked third in global investment banking revenue, maintaining its position from 2024, according to preliminary data from Dealogic.

JPMorgan Chase and Goldman Sachs are first and second, respectively, the data showed.

BofA was ranked fourth on the global mergers and acquisitions league table. It advised Norfolk Southern on its $85 billion combination with Union Pacific in a historic rail merger, which earned the bank $130 million, according to a regulatory filing.

The lender aims to increase its share of investment banking fees by between 50 and 100 basis points in the next three to five years, seeking to catch up as it has consistently lagged rivals JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs.

BofA plans to retain top talent in M&A and hire strategically where it has gaps, participate more in mega deals of $5 billion and above, and expand share in middle-market deals, executives told investors last month.

CEO Brian Moynihan told investors this month that he expects investment banking fees to be broadly flat in the fourth quarter, while revenue from the markets business will likely rise between a high single-digit percentage and 10%.

Broader Wall Street bonuses are expected to climb for the second year for traders and investment bankers on surging deal volume and market volatility, according to financial compensation consultancy Johnson Associates.

The bonus pool is expected to be the highest since 2021, when deals and profits surged to a record.

(Reporting by Saeed Azhar and Milana Vinn, editing by Lananh Nguyen)

source

Justice Department set to release trove of Epstein files today

Justice Department set to release trove of Epstein files today 150 150 admin

The Justice Department expects to release “several hundred thousand” records from the Epstein files today, a top official said. Follow live updates here.
source

Denmark blames Russia for cyberattacks on water utility that left houses without water

Denmark blames Russia for cyberattacks on water utility that left houses without water 150 150 admin

Russia carried out cyberattacks against infrastructure and websites in Denmark in 2024 and 2025, Danish authorities say in a new assessment published this week describing new cases not previously reported.

Moscow was responsible for “destructive and disruptive” cyberattacks on a Danish water utility company in 2024 and a series of denial of service attacks which overwhelmed Danish websites ahead of regional and local elections last month, Denmark’s Defense Intelligence Service said in a statement Thursday. The water company said the attack caused pipes to burst, leaving homes temporarily without water.

Jan Hansen, the head of the Tureby Alkestrup Waterworks southwest of the capital Copenhagen, said his advice to other companies was not to cut costs on cybersecurity and to take out cyber insurance. The attack happened, he said, because the waterworks switched to cheaper cybersecurity, which was not as secure as that previously.

The Danish intelligence service said the attacks were part of Russia’s “hybrid war” against the West and an attempt to create instability. It said Moscow’s cyberattacks are part of a broader campaign to undermine and punish countries which support Ukraine. Russian hackers have previously been accused of carrying out hacks on other water facilities in Europe — including on a Norwegian dam where Norwegian authorities said hackers opened valves to allow water to pour out.

Torsten Schack Pedersen, Denmark’s minister of resilience and preparedness, said the attacks resulted in limited damage but had serious ramifications.

“It shows that there are forces capable of shutting down important parts of our society,” he said during a news conference Thursday, as reported by Danish broadcaster DR.

Schack Pedersen added that the cyberattacks show that Denmark is not sufficiently equipped to handle such situations, DR reported.

The attacks are among a growing number of incidents that Western officials say are part a campaign of sabotage and disruption across Europe masterminded by Russia. An Associated Press database has documented 147 incidents, including the two cases reported by Denmark this week.

Not all incidents are public and it can sometimes take officials months to establish a link to Moscow. While officials say the campaign — waged since President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022 — aims to deprive Kyiv of support, they believe Moscow is also trying to identify Europe’s weak spots and suck up law enforcement resources.

The Danish agency said pro-Russian group Z-Pentest carried out the “destructive attack” on the water utility company in 2024 and that a separate group, NoName057(16), was responsible for the cyberattack on Danish websites ahead of the recent elections. It said both have links to the Russian state.

“The Russian state uses both groups as instruments of its hybrid war against the West. The aim is to create insecurity in the targeted countries and to punish those that support Ukraine,” the statement said. NoName057(16) acted, authorities said, in November to disrupt the elections, according to DR.

The Tureby Alkestrup Waterworks serves several villages some 35 kilometers (22 miles) south of Copenhagen. The waterworks said the hackers changed the water pressure, which caused a pipe to burst. It said about 50 households were without water for around seven hours while around 450 houses had no water for one hour.

In Germany, meanwhile, authorities summoned Russia’s ambassador in Berlin on Dec. 12 after the foreign ministry accused Moscow of carrying out sabotage, cyberattacks and election interference.

That included a 2024 cyberattack against German air traffic control, German Foreign Ministry spokesperson Martin Giese said.

source

Visiting the Trevi Fountain now will cost more than just a coin toss with a 2-euro tourist fee

Visiting the Trevi Fountain now will cost more than just a coin toss with a 2-euro tourist fee 150 150 admin

ROME (AP) — Tourists visiting the Trevi Fountain are now going to pay more than just the legendary coin toss over their shoulder to get the Instagrammable selfie in front of one of the world’s most celebrated waterworks.

Starting Feb. 1, the city of Rome is imposing a 2-euro ($2.35) fee for tourists to get close to the fountain made famous by Federico Fellini’s “La Dolce Vita” during prime-time daylight hours. The view for those admiring the late Baroque masterpiece from the piazza above remains free.

The tourist fee announced Friday is part of the Eternal City’s efforts to manage tourist flows in a particularly congested part of town, improve the experience and offset the maintenance costs of preserving all of Rome’s cultural heritage. Officials estimate it could net the city 6.5 million euros ($7.6 million) extra a year.

The fee, which has been discussed and debated for more than a year, follows a similar ticketing system at Rome’s Pantheon monument and the more complicated tourist day-tripper tax that the lagoon city of Venice imposed last year in a bid to ease overtourism and make the city more liveable for residents.

In such cases, city residents have been exempt from the fees. The same holds true at Trevi, while the tourist tax and new 5-euro (nearly $6) tourist ticket fee for some city museums is being rolled out in conjunction with a plan to broaden the number of museums that are free for registered Roman residents.

“We believe that culture is a fundamental right of citizenship,” Rome Mayor Roberto Gualtieri told a news conference. “We think it’s correct and positive that the citizens of Rome can enjoy our museums free of charge.”

At the same time, he said, the 2-euro ($2.35) Trevi tourist fee is a minimal amount that shouldn’t discourage visitors, but rather allow for a more organized visit. The city decided to impose it after seeing positive results already from a yearlong experiment to stagger and limit the number of visitors who can reach the front basin edge of the fountain by imposing lines and an entrance and exit pathway.

So far this year, around 9 million people have waited in line to get that close-up visit, with some days as many as 70,000 passing through, Gualtieri said. That system now becomes permanent from 9 a.m.-9 p.m., with the fee to be paid by nonresidents. Visitors can either pay in advance online, while waiting in line or by buying tickets at tourist locations around town.

After nightfall, access is open and free.

Pope Urban VIII initially commissioned the fountain in 1640. In 1730, Pope Clement XII revived the project and the current fountain corresponds to the original designs of Roman architect Nicola Salvi.

The towering fountain features at the Titan god flanked by falls cascading down the travertine rocks into a shallow turquoise pool, where Marcello Mastroianni and Anita Ekberg famously took their nighttime dip in “La Dolce Vita.”

While bathing is prohibited nowadays, legend has it that visitors who toss a coin over their shoulders and make a wish will return to Rome.

source

Ecuadorian police arrest 2 suspects in the armed attack that killed soccer player Pineida

Ecuadorian police arrest 2 suspects in the armed attack that killed soccer player Pineida 150 150 admin

QUITO (AP) — Ecuadorian police have arrested two suspects in the killing of soccer player Mario Pineida, who was shot in an attack this week that also killed his partner and wounded his mother, underscoring the rising violence in the Andean nation.

The 33-year-old Barcelona de Guayaquil defender and former national soccer team player was shot and killed on Wednesday. Latin American soccer clubs and fans have since mourned his death.

Ecuador’s prosecutor’s office said on Friday on X that suspects Cristian P.G. and Jimnery P.B appeared before a judge, who then ordered their so-called preventive arrests, based on the judge’s understanding that there’s enough evidence against them as well as a risk of them fleeing from justice.

Police said the shooting attack took place in Samanes, a northern neighborhood of the coastal city of Guayaquil, some 265 kilometers (165 miles) southwest of the capital, Quito.

Security camera footage from the scene shows Pineida and his partner leaving a butcher shop and then being shot by two men, one wearing a motorcycle helmet and the other a cap. Local authorities have not released the name of Pineida’s partner.

Pineida played eight games for Ecuador but was not part of the team qualifying for the 2026 World Cup. His last game for Ecuador was at the 2021 Copa América, as a late substitute in a group-stage game against Brazil. He also played in the 2017 edition.

In November, a 16-year-old soccer player of Independiente del Valle died from a stray bullet, also in Guayaquil. Two months earlier, Maicol Valencia and Leandro Yépez, both players of Exapromo Costa, and Jonathan González, of 22 de Junio died from gunshot wounds.

___

Follow the AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america

source