• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2026

Stars of "Dutton Ranch" on making the move from Montana to Texas

Stars of "Dutton Ranch" on making the move from Montana to Texas 150 150 admin

Devastating wildfires rip through Texas panhandle

Devastating wildfires rip through Texas panhandle 150 150 admin

Wildfires fueled by dry conditions and high winds are ripping through Texas and other southwestern states as firefighters struggle to contain the blaze.
source

Tesla raises prices of Model Y cars in the US for the first time in two years

Tesla raises prices of Model Y cars in the US for the first time in two years 150 150 admin

May 16 (Reuters) – Tesla raised the prices of its Model Y cars in the United States on Saturday, according to its website.

The company increased the price of its Model Y premium all-wheel drive and Model Y premium rear-wheel drive by $1,000 to $49,990 and $45,990 respectively.

The company also raised the price of its Model Y Performance all-wheel drive to $57,990 in the United States, up $500 from earlier, the website showed.

In August last year, the company raised the price of its most-expensive Cybertruck pickup truck model by $15,000 in the United States despite softer-than-expected sales and recalls.

Tesla did not provide a reason for the price increase.

The last time the company increased the price of Model Y cars was two years in 2024 ago when it raised the prices of all Model Y cars by $1,000.

(Reporting by Angela Christy in Bengaluru; Editing by Louise Heavens)

source

Venezuelan official Alex Saab, a Maduro ally, deported to US

Venezuelan official Alex Saab, a Maduro ally, deported to US 150 150 admin

May 16 (Reuters) – Venezuelan official Alex Saab, a Colombian-Venezuelan businessman and ally of former President Nicolas Maduro, was deported to the United States, Venezuela’s migration agency, SAIME, said on Saturday.

Saab was arrested in Caracas in February during a joint operation by U.S. and Venezuelan authorities, according to a U.S. law enforcement official at the time.

Saab’s arrest occurred a month after Maduro’s own capture by U.S. special forces in Caracas. The arrest and deportation of Saab suggested a new level of collaboration between U.S. and Venezuelan law enforcement under acting President Delcy Rodriguez, Maduro’s former vice president.

The Colombian-born Saab, 54, was previously detained in Cape Verde in 2020 and held in the U.S. on bribery charges. He was granted clemency in 2023 in exchange for the release of Americans detained in Venezuela.

Saab could provide U.S. authorities with information to strengthen their criminal case against Maduro, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, were taken to New York in January to face criminal charges, including conspiracy to commit narcoterrorism. They deny the charges.

Saab and his wife lived in Italy several years ago. Luigi Giuliano, a lawyer in Italy who has represented him, said on Saturday he does not handle Saab’s U.S. cases and could not confirm the deportation. Another lawyer for Saab did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

(Reporting by Reuters StaffEditing by Rod Nickel and Matthew Lewis)

source

Concern grows in central Africa over deadly Ebola virus

Concern grows in central Africa over deadly Ebola virus 150 150 admin

A deadly strain of Ebola virus has sparked concern in the Democratic Republic of Congo amid clashes between rival militia groups.
source

Frequent burials, at least 80 dead as Congo grapples with Ebola outbreak

Frequent burials, at least 80 dead as Congo grapples with Ebola outbreak 150 150 admin

Officials first announced the outbreak on Friday, with 65 deaths and 246 suspected cases.
source

Argentina’s beef consumption falls to lowest level in 20 years as prices soar

Argentina’s beef consumption falls to lowest level in 20 years as prices soar 150 150 admin

BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — At 6 a.m., in the Mataderos neighborhood of Buenos Aires, workers unload sides of beef from a truck outside a butcher shop as customers line up for wholesale purchases. Inside, 73-year-old owner Jorge García and his staff prepare meat orders before dawn.

Among the stacks of beef boxes and red meat cuts hanging from metal hooks, chicken and pork are increasingly present.

Red meat consumption in Argentina — historically one of the world’s biggest consumers of beef — has fallen to its lowest level in two decades amid economic austerity measures imposed by libertarian President Javier Milei.

As of April 2026, annual per capita beef consumption fell to 44.5 kilograms (98 pounds), down from 49.5 kilograms (109 pounds) during the same month a year earlier, according to the Agricultural Foundation for Argentina’s Development. In 2006, it was 63.4 kilos (139 pounds) per person.

“People are switching to cheaper proteins. They’re eating pork, they’re eating chicken,” said García.

Analysts attribute the decline to soaring beef prices, lower cattle supply and weakened household purchasing power. The opening of Argentina’s beef market to international trade has also pushed domestic prices closer to global levels.

“Beef moved into a completely different purchasing-power category. Workers’ wages fell far behind,” said Juampi Quintero, 25, a meat distributor who estimated consumption among his clients has fallen by more than half.

Since coming into office in December 2023 with an annual inflation at 211%, Milei promised to eliminate what he called “the cancer of inflation” through an adjustment plan that included cuts equivalent to nearly one-third of public spending, symbolized by the image of a chain saw.

The government succeeded in reversing the fiscal deficit and achieving a budget surplus — a rare result in Argentina’s recent history — but the social cost of the austerity measures has drawn criticism.

Within months, Milei’s administration eliminated 13 ministries, laid off about 30,000 public employees, halted public works projects and reduced funding for key areas such as education, healthcare and science, while also cutting subsidies for basic services such as electricity, gas, water and transportation.

“That affects household income because families now have to pay more for services that were previously subsidized by the state,” said economist Camilo Tiscornia. “As a result, they have less disposable income and must give up certain more expensive goods, such as beef.”

At the same time, household incomes did not rise at the same pace as beef prices, helping drive down consumption.

Wages for registered workers increased an average of 1.8% in February, the latest available data, compared with monthly inflation of 2.9%.

“Before, I had the freedom to buy what I wanted,” said Alberto Brajin, a 61-year-old retiree who runs a streetside barbecue stall in Buenos Aires.

Brajin said he now has to “trade down” to cheaper proteins such as chicken.

Beef prices rose more than 60% over the past year, reaching an average of 18,500 pesos ($13) per kilogram in Buenos Aires in May, according to the Argentine Beef Promotion Institute.

In July 2025, Milei’s government reduced export taxes on beef and poultry and removed production quotas to encourage overseas sales, reversing part of the restrictions imposed under former President Alberto Fernández to curb rising domestic prices. The easing of export regulations came just as Argentina’s beef production dropped by more than 10 percent due to floods and droughts, according to CICCRA, the nonprofit organization that represents Argentina’s beef producers.

Argentina’s government said this week that beef exports rose 54% in the first quarter compared with a year earlier, totaling nearly 200,000 tons worth more than $1 billion. The increase followed a U.S. decision earlier this year to expand Argentina’s tariff-free beef quota amid American cattle shortages.

With the market opening up, producers began selling beef — once affordable across much of Argentina’s social spectrum — at prices closer to international levels.

“Previously, all meats had similar prices, which encouraged high beef consumption that did not reflect its real production costs,” agricultural consultant Iván Ordóñez explained.

As beef becomes increasingly expensive for many Argentine families, chicken and pork are gaining ground as cheaper alternatives.

“We’ve chosen to buy pork and chicken because beef is too expensive,” said shop owner Ruth Simon.

Chicken costs an average of 4,900 pesos ($3.50) per kilogram, while pork ribs cost around 8,900 pesos ($6.30).

García, the butcher shop owner, said he began selling chicken and pork less than a year ago after noticing changes in customers’ eating habits.

“You have to adapt,” he said. “We can’t just sit around crying. No crying. We have to work. We have to keep our dignity. We have to fight.”

___

Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america

source

How young adults can maximize their summer job

How young adults can maximize their summer job 150 150 admin

CBS News business analyst Jill Schlesinger joins “CBS Saturday Morning” to share ways that teens and young adults can maximize their summer job earnings.
source

Republican Cassidy faces Trump retribution effort in Louisiana Senate primary

Republican Cassidy faces Trump retribution effort in Louisiana Senate primary 150 150 admin

By David Morgan

May 16 (Reuters) – U.S. Senator Bill Cassidy, a Republican moderate targeted for retribution by President Donald Trump, will find out whether he can survive a primary election in Louisiana on Saturday against two popular rivals, including a Trump-backed challenger, or become the first elected Senate incumbent to lose renomination in more than a decade. 

Cassidy, a physician who first earned the president’s ire by voting for his conviction in Trump’s second Senate impeachment trial in 2021, entered the Republican primary in third place behind Trump-backed U.S. Representative Julia Letlow and Louisiana Treasurer John Fleming, a former congressman who served in Trump’s first administration, according to polling data compiled by the website RealClearPolitics.com.

Trump, in a Truth Social post on Saturday, called Cassidy a “disloyal disaster.”

“Bill Cassidy is a sleazebag, a terrible guy, who is BAD FOR LOUISIANA,” Trump wrote. “Now he’s going to get CLOBBERED, hopefully, in today’s BIG election, by two great people!!!”

Cassidy’s chances of victory seem narrow in a state where Trump received more than 60% of the vote during the 2024 presidential election. But in a closely fought three-way battle that is likely to end in a June 27 runoff election, Trump could also risk embarrassment if Letlow, whom Cassidy has sought to brand as a “liberal,” is ultimately bested by Fleming, a former Navy physician who has strong backing within the state Republican Party.

“Dr John Fleming is the only conservative candidate in the race,” said Christy Haik, a member of the powerful Republican State Central Committee and president of the conservative group Louisiana State Republican Assembly.

TRUMP RETRIBUTION CAMPAIGN

The Louisiana primary is the latest venue for an ongoing Trump retribution campaign that delivered primary defeats this month against at least five of seven Republican state legislators in Indiana, who opposed the president’s push for a mid-decade congressional redistricting plan to protect the Republican majority in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Next week, Trump’s campaign moves to Kentucky, where the president hopes to see his hand-picked primary challenger Ed Gallrein defeat Republican U.S. Representative Thomas Massie, a Trump critic and leading voice in the campaign to release government files on convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, an erstwhile friend of the president. 

In Louisiana, Letlow, 45, won Trump’s Senate endorsement before she had even announced her candidacy. She entered Congress after her husband Luke died of a COVID infection after being elected to the House in 2020. She ran to replace him in a special election and succeeded with Trump’s endorsement. Cassidy has targeted her support for diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives when she worked for the University of Louisiana at Monroe. She has responded with ads calling Cassidy and Fleming “Never Trumpers” and emphasizing her presidential endorsement. 

Cassidy, a 68-year-old doctor who specialized in the treatment of liver disease and helped found a Baton Rouge clinic that serves low-income patients, served in the Louisiana Senate and the U.S. House before unseating former Democratic U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu in 2014 to become the first Republican to capture the seat since 1883. He now chairs the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee. He was reelected in 2020 with nearly 60% of the vote. 

With backing from Senate Majority Leader John Thune and the National Republican Senatorial Committee, he entered the final phase of the primary campaign with $5.5 million in cash, compared with $1.6 million for Letlow, according to documents filed to the Federal Election Commission. Fleming, 74, had nearly $1.4 million in cash left from a campaign that he has largely self-financed.

CASSIDY VOTED TO IMPEACH TRUMP

But that financial firepower has not propelled his campaign after a series of conflicts with Trump beginning with his role in 2021 as one of seven Republicans who supported Trump’s impeachment after the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by Trump supporters. He is now one of only three still in office. 

Cassidy later called on Trump to drop out of the 2024 presidential race after his indictment for allegedly mishandling classified documents and declined to endorse Trump after he won the Republican nomination.

Since Trump’s return to the White House, Cassidy has tried to work his way back into the president’s good graces by supporting Robert F. Kennedy Jr.’s nomination for U.S. health secretary. 

But Cassidy’s support for Trump health policy has been short-lived, with him expressing open skepticism for Kennedy’s bid to overhaul U.S. vaccine policy and joining fellow Republican Senators Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski to slow the health secretary’s agenda in Congress. 

 The most recent break came last month when Trump accused Cassidy of blocking the nomination of Casey Means as U.S. surgeon general, forcing the president to name radiologist and Fox News contributor Nicole Saphier as his third pick for the job.

Independent political analysts say Cassidy could still emerge from Saturday’s primary to face either Letlow or Fleming in a run-off. Whoever ultimately emerges as the victor, the seat is expected to remain in Republican hands.

Former Republican Senator Richard Lugar was the last elected incumbent to lose his bid for renomination in 2012.  

(Reporting by David Morgan. Additional reporting by David Hood-Nuño and Blake Brittain. Editing by Michael Learmonth, Alistair Bell and Mark Potter)

source

CENTCOM chief says Iran's hold on strait has weakened, but threats remain

CENTCOM chief says Iran's hold on strait has weakened, but threats remain 150 150 admin

Admiral Brad Cooper of U.S. Central Command told the Senate Armed Services Committee that U.S. forces have destroyed more than 90% of Iran’s inventory of 8,000 naval mines.
source