• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Islamic State, in first comment, calls Palmyra attack a blow to US and Syrian forces

Islamic State, in first comment, calls Palmyra attack a blow to US and Syrian forces 150 150 admin

Dec 19 (Reuters) – The Islamic State group said the killing of U.S. Pentagon personnel in Syria’s ancient city of Palmyra was a “blow” to U.S. forces and Syrian armed factions opposed to it, in its first public comment on the incident.

Two U.S. Army soldiers and a civilian interpreter were killed on Saturday when an attacker targeted a convoy of American and Syrian forces in Palmyra before being shot dead, the U.S. military said. Three U.S. soldiers were wounded.

In an article published on its Telegram channel on Thursday, Islamic State accused the United States and its Syrian-based allies of forming a single front against it. It used religious language to frame the assault as a decisive moment intended to dispel doubt among its supporters, but did not explicitly claim responsibility.

U.S. President Donald Trump called the incident “terrible” and vowed retaliation.

Syria’s Interior Ministry said on Sunday it had arrested five people suspected of links to the shooting, describing the attacker as a member of the Syrian security forces suspected of sympathising with Islamic State.

The ministry said security units in Palmyra carried out the arrests in coordination with international coalition forces.

Syria has been cooperating with a U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State. The United States has troops stationed in northeastern Syria as part of a decade-long campaign against the group, which controlled large parts of Syria and Iraq from 2014 to 2019.

(Reporting by Jana Choukeir; Editing by Stephen Coates)

source

Judge to decide in May on Luigi Mangione evidence

Judge to decide in May on Luigi Mangione evidence 150 150 admin

Testimony ended Thursday in Luigi Mangione’s pretrial evidence suppression hearing in his New York murder case. Mangione is accused of killing UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson in 2024. CBS News’ Lilia Luciano has more.
source

Americans facing soaring health insurance costs may get a lifeline in 2026, experts say

Americans facing soaring health insurance costs may get a lifeline in 2026, experts say 150 150 admin

By Amina Niasse and Ahmed Aboulenein

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON, Dec 18 (Reuters) – Americans facing skyrocketing Obamacare health insurance premiums could still get a break from expanded government subsidies in 2026 through retroactive legislation and possibly a special enrollment period, investors, analysts and industry experts say.

President Donald Trump and the Republican Party have been divided for months on a replacement for the Affordable Care Act’s extra COVID-era subsidies that have made insurance more affordable for most of the 24 million Americans who rely on the government-backed plans.

Republicans have been promising an ACA alternative for over a decade, but have yet to produce one with a passable consensus that maintains consumer protections of Obamacare plans

Two U.S. Senate votes aimed at addressing the issue failed to pass last week, and a plan in the U.S. House of Representatives is unlikely to advance.

Without a deal, millions of Americans must now weigh whether to sign up and be prepared to pay much higher prices or go without health insurance. Total premium costs for subsidized Obamacare enrollees are expected to increase to an average $1,904 for 2026 from $888 in 2025.

Investors are still hoping for an eventual deal in 2026, with shares of health insurers including Centene, UnitedHealth and Elevance all up since the beginning of December, even as chances of an 11th-hour Congressional action fade.

“There’s no absolute drop-dead date for extending the ACA enhanced premium subsidies. ACA enrollees would welcome premium relief whenever it comes,” said Larry Levitt, health policy executive at health research firm KFF. 

SPECIAL ENROLLMENT PERIOD

Obamacare plan enrollment opened in November and closes on January 15. If a deal were reached after that, it could include a retroactive extension of the subsidies and new sign-ups or a special enrollment period could be added, reflecting the lowered costs, said Levitt and Daniel Barasa, a portfolio manager at investment firm Gabelli, which owns Cigna shares.

Insurers have been preparing for the lapse of the credits, structuring 2025 plans as if they will expire, and raising premiums, which KFF said could more than double for many.

The expanded subsidies apply to households making more than 400% of the federal poverty level. 

“We’re going into an election year where affordability is” the main issue facing Trump and fellow Republicans looking to maintain control of Congress, said Kevin Gade, chief operating officer at investment firm Bahl & Gaynor, which owns UnitedHealth shares.

Gade, Barasa, and James Harlow, a senior vice president at Novare Capital Management, which owns UnitedHealth shares, said there will be increased political pressure on Congress to deliver a solution as more time passes. 

ENROLLMENT DROPPING

The shock of increased premiums is already pushing shoppers to drop coverage, said KFF’s Levitt.

KFF data shows most people enroll in the early weeks after the marketplace opens. Historical U.S. data shows a separate surge in early January for Obamacare sign-ups.

A December KFF survey showed 25% of Obamacare marketplace enrollees say they will likely go without insurance next year if premiums double for their current plans.

UnitedHealth has said it expects ACA enrollment to be reduced by about two-thirds.

Consumers who don’t select a new plan during open enrollment are typically auto-reenrolled. Healthcare.gov will keep them in the same plan if it remains available or move them to a similar option from the same insurer if their current plan has been discontinued.

A spokesperson for a national health insurer said the company is increasingly engaging with consumers to make them aware of auto-renewals that may subject them to plans they cannot afford and reduce confusion for shoppers navigating premium increases.

Government data released in December shows that 13.4% of people who signed up for 2025 plans in states that directly sell them to residents have renewed their plans. Renewal figures were at 13.9% during the same time last year.

Morningstar analyst Julie Utterback said concerns the insurers will end up with mostly sick members as healthy ones forego insurance may be overstated.

Three states operating their own exchanges told Reuters they continue to see lagging sign-ups compared to the year prior, with Washington and Pennsylvania saying new sign-ups were down 16% and California seeing a 33% decrease from last year.

(Reporting by Amina Niasse in New York and Ahmed Aboulenein in Washington; Additional reporting by Sneha SK and Sriparna Roy in Bengaluru; Editing by Caroline Humer)

source

ECB upgrades growth outlook, closing door to more cuts

ECB upgrades growth outlook, closing door to more cuts 150 150 admin

By Francesco Canepa and Balazs Koranyi

FRANKFURT, Dec 18 (Reuters) – The European Central Bank kept its policy rates steady on Thursday and revised upwards some of its growth and inflation projections, a move that probably closes the door to further cuts in borrowing costs in the near term.

Recent growth figures for the euro zone have beaten the ECB’s expectations, buoyed by exporters navigating U.S. tariffs more effectively than anticipated and by domestic spending that has counterbalanced a malaise in manufacturing.

Inflation has meanwhile hovered around the central bank’s 2% target, boosted by price hikes in the services sector, and is expected to stay there for the foreseeable future.

The more upbeat outlook has already led investors to draw a line under an easing cycle that saw the ECB halve its policy rate from 4% to 2% in the year to last June.

Policymakers themselves expect to keep rates unchanged next year but were not prepared to rule out a move in either direction because uncertainty – from war at the edge of Europe to a U.S. tech bubble – remains too high, sources told Reuters.

ECB President Christine Lagarde went out of her way to say all options remained on the table.

“It was a unanimous view around the table,” she told a press conference after the policy meeting ended exceptionally early, at just after 0900 GMT.

“With the degree of uncertainty we are facing, we simply cannot offer forward guidance,” Lagarde added.

She repeated the ECB’s line that it would set borrowing costs meeting-by-meeting depending on incoming data and that it was not pre-committing to a particular rate path.

Other central banks are also nearing a halt to rate cuts. The U.S. Federal Reserve last week signalled one more move in 2026, while the Bank of England said after its rate cut on Thursday that the future pace at which it lowers borrowing costs might slow.

In its statement, the ECB said the uncertain global outlook would remain a drag on growth in the euro zone and renewed its appeal for national governments to push ahead with reforms to make the economy more efficient and competitive.

The group of countries that use the euro currency will expand to 21 on January 1 when Bulgaria joins.

RATE HIKE NEXT?

In its new projections, the ECB still sees inflation dipping below 2% next year and in 2027, mostly on lower energy costs, but expects it to come back to the target in 2028. It signalled that services inflation might decline more slowly than expected due to wage costs.

Output growth was seen as slightly quicker this year because the euro zone economy is proving more resilient than feared to the impact of higher U.S. tariffs and cheap Chinese imports. Lagarde said exports meanwhile remained “sustainable” in the current climate.

The ECB now expects growth of 1.4% this year, 1.2% in 2026, and 1.4% in 2027 and 2028.

Private-sector economists, too, expect growth to carry forward into next year, supported by the German government’s planned investments in defence and infrastructure and a relatively tight labour market, where workers have finally seen wages catch up with the post-pandemic surge in prices.

Some recent comments from ECB board member Isabel Schnabel, chief economist Philip Lane and Lagarde herself have helped fuel some speculation about a rate hike late next year. 

Financial markets have begun pricing modest chances of a rate hike late next year or early in 2027 [GVD/EUR].

But most economists polled by Reuters expect the ECB to leave rates where they are through 2026 and 2027, although the forecast range for the latter year was wide at 1.5%-2.5%.

“The reality is, the bar is probably quite high for a move in either direction in the next few meetings,” BNP Paribas chief economist Isabelle Mateos y Lago said.

The ECB’s core inflation forecasts for 2026-27 were nudged higher too.

These are crucial as they factor out the effect of a delay to the European Union’s new carbon trading scheme, which will mechanistically bring down headline inflation in 2026-27 and push it up in 2028.

Among factors likely to weigh on inflation is the euro’s strength against the Chinese yuan or renminbi, which is making it even harder for the euro zone to compete with China, and against the U.S. dollar, which may fall further if the Federal Reserve cuts rates more rapidly under a new chair.

(Reporting by Francesco Canepa; Editing by Catherine Evans and Mark John)

source

U.S. attorney announces new indictments in Minnesota fraud scandal

U.S. attorney announces new indictments in Minnesota fraud scandal 150 150 admin

Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Thompson announced new charges against two Philadelphia-based men accused of traveling to Minneapolis to siphon millions of dollars from federally funded programs.
source

Trump signs executive order reclassifying marijuana

Trump signs executive order reclassifying marijuana 150 150 admin

President Trump signed an executive order Thursday reclassifying marijuana to a schedule three drug, effectively easing federal restrictions. CBS News White House reporter Willie James Inman has more.
source

Democrats release dozens more new images from Epstein estate

Democrats release dozens more new images from Epstein estate 150 150 admin

By Nolan D. McCaskill

WASHINGTON, Dec 18 (Reuters) – Congressional Democrats released dozens of new images from the estate of the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein on Thursday, a day before the U.S. Justice Department is required by law to release unclassified files from its investigation of the disgraced financier.

The latest batch of images includes close-ups of sentences from “Lolita,” a book about a man’s obsession with a 12-year-old girl, scribbled in black ink across a woman’s body — chest, foot, neck and back; redacted identification cards of women from Russia, Morocco, Italy, Czech Republic, South Africa, Ukraine and Lithuania; and a late-night text thread about sending girls for someone identified as “j” for $1,000 each. 

The 68 photos are among some 95,000 that Epstein’s estate released to the House Oversight Committee. Last week, oversight Democrats released 19 photos, including some featuring now-President Donald Trump, who dismissed the images as “no big deal.” Billionaire Microsoft founder Bill Gates, professor and political activist Noam Chomsky and former Trump aide Steve Bannon are also pictured in the latest images.

Committee Democrats said the images released Thursday “were selected to provide the public with transparency into a representative sample of the  photos” and “to provide insights into Epstein’s network and his extremely disturbing activities.”

Democrats said they had thousands more images, “both graphic and mundane,” which they are continuing to analyze.

“Oversight Democrats will continue to release photographs and documents from the Epstein estate to provide transparency for the American people,” said California Representative Robert Garcia, top Democrat on the Oversight Committee. “As we approach the deadline for the Epstein Files Transparency Act, these new images raise more questions about what exactly the Department of Justice has in its possession. We must end this White House cover-up, and the DOJ must release the Epstein files now.”

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

(Reporting by Nolan D. McCaskill; Editing by David Gregorio)

source

Trump pushes back on criticism surrounding affordability as Americans remain concerned about prices

Trump pushes back on criticism surrounding affordability as Americans remain concerned about prices 150 150 admin

President Trump laid out what he claims are the reasons that America’s economy is thriving in an address to the nation on Wednesday. This comes as Americans remain concerned about high prices. CBS News’ Weijia Jiang reports.
source

Law firms Hogan Lovells and Cadwalader plan to merge, creating 3,100-lawyer firm

Law firms Hogan Lovells and Cadwalader plan to merge, creating 3,100-lawyer firm 150 150 admin

By Sara Merken

Dec 18 (Reuters) – Global law firm Hogan Lovells and New York-based Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft have agreed to merge, the firms said on Thursday, creating a mega-firm with 3,100 lawyers and a combined $3.6 billion in annual revenue. 

The combined firm will be named Hogan Lovells Cadwalader and will unite Hogan Lovells’ international clientele with those of Wall Street’s oldest law firm, the firms said. The proposed merger is subject to a partnership vote, set to be held in 2026.

(Reporting by Sara Merken in New York)

source

12/14: Face The Nation

12/14: Face The Nation 150 150 admin

This week on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan,” Venezuelan opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner María Corina Machado gives her first U.S. interview since being honored. Plus, Sens. Bill Cassidy and Mark Warner also join.
source