• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Venezuela resorts to floating storage as onshore tanks fill up amid ship seizures

Venezuela resorts to floating storage as onshore tanks fill up amid ship seizures 150 150 admin

By Marianna Parraga and Arathy Somasekhar

Dec 23 (Reuters) – Venezuela’s state-run oil company PDVSA has started filling up tankers with crude and fuel oil it has in storage as inventories mount amid moves by the U.S. to seize Venezuela-linked ships, according to company documents and shipping data.

The U.S. Coast Guard this month intercepted the Skipper and Centuries tankers in the Caribbean Sea, both fully loaded with Venezuelan crude, and was this week pursuing a third empty vessel that was approaching the OPEC country’s shore.

The actions targeting some vessels of a so-called “shadow fleet” of ships carrying sanctioned oil, coupled with President Donald Trump’s announced blockade of all vessels subject to U.S. sanctions, has scared many ship owners away and left more than a dozen cargoes stuck in Venezuelan waters waiting to depart.

The emerging backlog, as PDVSA produces about 1.1 million barrels of crude per day, is quickly filling the company’s onshore tanks, especially at the Jose terminal, which receives extra heavy oil from the country’s main output region, the Orinoco Belt, according to the documents.

PDVSA began draining part of those inventories to oil tankers over the past weekend, shipping and company data showed, a strategy it has resorted to in past years to avoid cutting back oil production.

Since PDVSA’s main joint-venture partner Chevron has not suspended exports of the crude grades they jointly produce, most inventories at Venezuela’s western region, where storage capacity is very limited, are close to normal levels, the documents showed.

Chevron, however, is responsible for only about a quarter of the crude grades produced at blending stations and upgraders in the Orinoco Belt, or about 130,000 bpd. PDVSA typically exports the three other quarters to China, which has been the destination of about 80% of Venezuela’s crude exports this year.

As oil exports had stabilized and rose through November, PDVSA’s onshore stocks at Jose, including crude and diluents, had reduced to some 9 million barrels last month from a peak of 17 million barrels earlier this year. But by mid-December they had again surpassed 10 million barrels, the documents showed. 

PUSHING BACK AND FORWARD

PDVSA had been pushing customers to continue receiving oil cargoes bound for China at the Jose port through last week, but convincing them is now growing difficult after the U.S. targeted two more vessels over the weekend, company sources said.

Building floating storage has become necessary as the company negotiates price discounts and contract changes with some customers, while others begin to push to return their cargoes to the terminals, the sources added.

Last week, top officials at PDVSA discussed but then declined to declare force majeure over some crude exports, sources said, in an attempt to negotiate individually with its customers. Under force majeure, a seller frees itself from its delivery commitments for reasons out of its control set in contracts.

Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Monday evening said oil cargo deliveries for Chevron to export would continue even amid the dispute with Washington, which is ratcheting up pressure on him to leave power.

“(Under) rain, thunder, or lightning, and regardless of any conflicts, the contract with Chevron will be fulfilled. We are serious, decent people,” he said in a televised speech.  

Chevron has repeatedly said that its operations in Venezuela “continue without disruption and in full compliance with laws and regulations applicable to its business.”

(Reporting by Marianna Parraga and Arathy Somasekhar in Houston, and Reuters staff; Editing by Nathan Crooks and Alistair Bell)

source

3 things homebuyers should do in 2026 (and 3 things to avoid), according to experts

3 things homebuyers should do in 2026 (and 3 things to avoid), according to experts 150 150 admin

Homebuyers who make these moves will be better poised to take advantage of market conditions in the new year.
source

Lawsuit challenges Trump administration’s ending of protections for South Sudanese migrants

Lawsuit challenges Trump administration’s ending of protections for South Sudanese migrants 150 150 admin

By Nate Raymond

BOSTON, Dec 23 (Reuters) – Immigrant rights advocates have filed a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration’s decision last month to end the temporary protections from deportation granted to more than 200 South Sudanese nationals.

Four migrants from South Sudan, along with the non-profit African Communities Together, alleged in a lawsuit filed in Boston federal court on Monday that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security was unlawfully putting them at risk of losing their temporary protected status after January 5.

That status, known as TPS, is available to people whose home countries have experienced natural disasters, armed conflicts or other extraordinary events. It provides eligible migrants with work authorization and temporary protection from deportation.

The lawsuit argues the agency’s action violated the statute governing the TPS program, ignored the dire humanitarian conditions that remain in South Sudan, and was motivated by discrimination against migrants who are not white in violation of the U.S. Constitution’s Fifth Amendment.

“This pattern reveals the administration’s true agenda: stripping protections from immigrant communities of color regardless of the dangers they face,” Amaha Kassa, the executive director of African Communities Together, said in a statement.

The Department of Homeland Security did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

South Sudan has faced repeated bouts of violent conflict since 2011, with a civil war between 2013 and 2018 killing 400,000 people. The United States began designating South Sudan for TPS in 2011.

About 232 South Sudanese nationals have been beneficiaries of TPS and have found refuge in the United States, and another 73 have pending applications for that same protection, according to the lawsuit.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, on November 5, published a notice terminating TPS for South Sudan, saying the country no longer met the conditions for the designation.

She did so after her department moved to similarly end temporary protections extended to foreign nationals from countries including Syria, Venezuela, Haiti, Cuba and Nicaragua, prompting several court challenges.

(Reporting by Nate Raymond in BostonEditing by Rod Nickel)

source

RTX unit Raytheon lands $1.7 billion deal to supply Patriot systems to Spain

RTX unit Raytheon lands $1.7 billion deal to supply Patriot systems to Spain 150 150 admin

Dec 23 (Reuters) – Raytheon Technologies, a unit of RTX Corp, won a $1.7 billion contract to deliver four Patriot air and missile defense systems to Spain, the U.S. defense contractor said on Tuesday.

Patriot, short for Phased Array Tracking Radar for Intercept on Target, is a mobile surface-to-air missile system. It detects, tracks and destroys incoming aircraft and missiles.

Developed by Raytheon, the system has been the U.S. Army’s main air and missile defense system, deployed worldwide to counter aircraft and missile threats in regions including the Middle East, South Korea and Guam.

Raytheon has partnered with Spanish defense firms, including Sener, to supply components such as the electro-mechanical control system for the GEM-T missile under its global Patriot supply chain.

Patriot batteries are highly effective against missiles and aircraft, but using them to shoot down cheap drones is an expensive proposition.

A newly produced single Patriot battery costs over $1 billion, including $400 million for the system and $690 million for the missiles in a battery, according to the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Patriot interceptors are estimated at around $4 million per missile.

The deal comes as Germany, the Netherlands and Romania have placed orders for additional Patriot systems this year.

Separately, the U.S. State Department cleared a possible $105 million sale of equipment to sustain Ukraine’s Patriot air defense systems in November.

(Reporting by Apratim Sarkar; Editing by Tasim Zahid)

source

What a 4.3% GDP increase shows about the state of the U.S. economy

What a 4.3% GDP increase shows about the state of the U.S. economy 150 150 admin

Gross domestic product grew 4.3% in the third quarter of 2025, indicating some small economic growth despite concerns over tariffs and inflation. CBS News contributor Javier David has more details.
source

Heritage Foundation staff quit amid antisemitism controversy

Heritage Foundation staff quit amid antisemitism controversy 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON Dec 22 (Reuters) – Over a dozen employees have left jobs at the Heritage Foundation or were fired in recent days, according to the influential right-wing U.S. thinktank, as it grapples with allegations from former supporters that it has aligned itself with those accused of antisemitism.

In a statement about the resignations and firings on Monday, Heritage Foundation Chief Advancement Officer Andy Olivastro said a handful of staff had chosen “disruption” and “disloyalty.”

He said the think tank “has always welcomed debate, but alignment on mission and loyalty to the institution are non-negotiable.”

The foundation has been caught in a firestorm of accusations and counter-accusations that began when former Fox News host Tucker Carlson interviewed Nick Fuentes, a self-described Christian nationalist, in October. The interview focused on their mutual opposition to U.S. support of Israel, a view at odds with that of many conservatives.

Some supporters of the foundation have said it should distance itself from Carlson, characterizing the journalist’s views as antisemitic. But Kevin Roberts, the foundation president, has continued to personally back Carlson, who he says is a friend. Carlson strongly rejects accusations of antisemitism.

One of those who resigned this week was Josh Blackman, a law professor who contributed to Project 2025, a right-wing policy initiative overseen by the Heritage Foundation. In a letter posted online, he blamed Roberts for making Heritage’s brand “toxic.”

“You aligned the Heritage Foundation with the rising tide of antisemitism on the right,” said Blackman, who edited the group’s Guide to the Constitution publication.

In an October 30 video defending Carlson, Roberts said a “venomous coalition” was attacking the prominent podcaster over his interview with Fuentes. Roberts said conservatives should feel no obligation to support any foreign government no matter how great the pressure from “the globalist class.”

He later apologized for his use of the term “venomous coalition,” which he said Jewish colleagues understood to be an antisemitic trope.

Speaking at a November staff townhall meeting, Roberts said his intention was not to endorse Fuentes, who he called “an evil person,” but to “convert” some of his audience of several million people.

Advancing American Freedom said on Monday the three former leaders of Heritage’s legal, economic and data teams had joined the conservative advocacy group, along with 10 of their staff. The group led by former Vice President Mike Pence is critical of U.S. President Donald Trump’s MAGA movement.

Three Heritage Foundation board trustees have also resigned since November.

Chief U.S. Circuit Judge William Pryor, a conservative jurist who contributed to Heritage’s 800-page Guide to the Constitution, said in an interview he did not attend a promotional event for the book due to Roberts’ “totally inappropriate” language in the October 30 video.

For some remaining Heritage employees, recent staff departures were driven by Republican Party jockeying rather than antisemitism or Israel.

“These resignations have a lot more to do with 2028 than it does with anything else,” Heritage fellow Robby Starbuck posted online. “One group wants a return to the Pence/Ryan GOP and the rest want to MAGA with @KevinRobertsTX.”

(Reporting by Andrew Hay, additional reporting by Nate Raymond; Editing by Rosalba O’Brien and Stephen Coates)

source

White House adviser Hassett says GDP ‘fantastic,’ job gains to jump

White House adviser Hassett says GDP ‘fantastic,’ job gains to jump 150 150 admin

Dec 23 (Reuters) – White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett said stronger-than-expected U.S. economic growth reported on Tuesday is a product of President Donald Trump’s trade policies and of investment in artificial intelligence, and heralds faster job gains ahead.

“It’s really a fantastic number and it’s a great Christmas present for the American people,” he said in an interview with CNBC. “This recovery is really taking off and there’s a heck of a lot of people coming off the sidelines and entering the labor force… we’re going to see (monthly payroll gains) back to the 100,000-150,000 range if we stay in the 4% GDP growth range as we head into the New Year.”

The U.S. economy grew at a 4.3% annualized pace last quarter, the Commerce Department reported on Tuesday, fueled by strong consumer spending. Economists had expected a 3.3% pace. 

Meanwhile, monthly payroll gains this year are down sharply from last year, a trend that continued in the fourth quarter and that economists attribute both to a drop in immigration amid Trump’s crackdown as well as softening demand for labor. In November, nonfarm payrolls increased by 64,000 jobs after decreasing by 105,000 jobs in October, data published last week showed.

A separate report on Tuesday from the Conference Board showed U.S. consumer confidence deteriorated in December amid deepening anxiety over jobs and income.

Hassett downplayed the dour mood, noting that consumer sentiment is often uncorrelated with real economic data. At the same time, he said, consumers have reason to be optimistic about slowing inflation and rising wages.

Hassett, one of four finalists in Trump’s search for a successor to Fed Chair Jerome Powell next year, repeated his call for a lower Fed policy rate, saying productivity gains from artificial intelligence would push down on inflation.

“If you look at central banks around the world, the U.S. is way behind the curve in terms of lowering rates,” he said.

(Reporting by Ann Saphir in Berkeley, California; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Matthew Lewis)

source

Louvre museum installs security bars on balcony used in October’s heist

Louvre museum installs security bars on balcony used in October’s heist 150 150 admin

PARIS, Dec 23 (Reuters) – France’s Louvre museum on Tuesday installed security bars on the balcony that burglars used to break in and steal some of the crown jewels.

Four people broke into the world’s most visited museum on October 19 and escaped with jewels worth an estimated $102 million, exposing glaring security gaps and revealing its deteriorating state.

They parked a movers’ lift outside the museum, jumped on the balcony of the Apollo gallery, smashed a window, cracked open display cases with angle grinders and fled on the back of scooters driven by accomplices in a heist lasting less than 7 minutes.

On Tuesday, a crane lifted the security grille into place to seal the glass door leading to the balcony.

“The Louvre is learning all the lessons from the theft of October 19 and is continuing its transformation and the strengthening of its security architecture,” the museum said in a post on X.

It also said a mobile police squad was now present at the roundabout in front of the iconic glass pyramid, and 100 more cameras would be deployed around the museum next year.

Police have identified eight suspects in connection with the heist, though the jewels are still missing.

The break-in raised awkward questions about security at the Louvre, which is home to priceless artworks such as the Mona Lisa.

Louvre officials have admitted there was inadequate security camera coverage of the outside walls of the museum and no coverage of the balcony involved in the break-in.

The heist was one of several woes to hit the museum in recent weeks: another gallery, adjacent to the Apollo, was closed because of structural weakness, a water leak damaged books at the Egyptian antiquities department and the museum was partly closed for several days after its staff went on strike.

(Reporting by Noemie Olive and Inti Landauro, Editing by Alison Williams)

source

Young People's Chorus of New York City: "Jolly Toyland"

Young People's Chorus of New York City: "Jolly Toyland" 150 150 admin

Powerball jackpot reaches whopping $1.7 billion for Christmas Eve drawing

Powerball jackpot reaches whopping $1.7 billion for Christmas Eve drawing 150 150 admin

The Powerball jackpot grew to more than $1.7 billion after no winning tickets from Monday’s drawing. CBS News’ Tom Hanson has more details.
source