• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Voters sue to suspend Missouri’s new congressional map until a referendum

Voters sue to suspend Missouri’s new congressional map until a referendum 150 150 admin

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The question of whether Missouri’s new congressional districts are in effect for the 2026 elections will be up to a court to decide.

A lawsuit filed Tuesday on behalf of voters contends the redrawn map backed by President Donald Trump should have been automatically suspended earlier this month when opponents submitted more than 300,000 petition signatures seeking to force a statewide vote.

But Republican Attorney General Catherine Hanaway says the new districts took effect — and will remain in place as candidates run for office — unless Republican Secretary of State Denny Hoskins verifies the signatures are sufficient and certifies that the petition meets constitutional muster.

The court battle carries consequences for Trump’s plan to reshape congressional districts in Republican-led states, which could give the GOP a shot at winning additional seats in the midterm elections and retaining control of the closely divided U.S. House. Missouri’s new map is intended to help Republicans pick up a Democrat-held district in Kansas City by splitting off portions and stretching the rest into rural areas that are predominantly Republican.

Nationwide, the unusual mid-decade redistricting battle has so far resulted in a total of nine more seats that Republicans believe they can win in Texas, Missouri, North Carolina and Ohio — and a total of six more seats that Democrats expect to win in California and Utah, putting Republicans up by three. But the redrawn districts are being litigated in some states, and if the maps hold for 2026, there is no guarantee that the parties will win the seats.

Missouri’s constitution allows voters who are opposed to a new law to gather petition signatures to put the measure to a statewide vote. If they submit about 110,000 valid signatures — meeting minimum thresholds in at least two-thirds of the state’s congressional districts — the law is placed on hold until a referendum can be held at the next November election.

Historically, the state has treated laws as suspended when referendum petitions get submitted. But Hanaway contends a law can be suspended only after the secretary of state determines there is a sufficient number of valid signatures — a process that could conclude long after Missouri’s candidate filing period, which runs from Feb. 24 through March 31.

Local election officials have until July 28 to finish verifying signatures, and Hoskins could make a final decision after that. Missouri’s primary elections are Aug. 4.

“This is a transparent ploy to force the use of HB1’s new congressional map by delaying certification of the referendum’s signatures … until it is too late to change the congressional map for the 2026 midterms,” says the lawsuit, which was filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of two Kansas City-area voters who signed the referendum petition.

The lawsuit comes just one day after the Missouri attorney general released a statement reasserting that the new congressional map “remains in effect” while the petition signatures are reviewed.

To suspend laws immediately upon submitting a petition would “allow anyone to freeze duly-enacted state laws by dropping off boxes of unverified signatures,” Hanaway’s office said in a statement.

The latest lawsuit is at least the ninth related to Missouri’s new congressional map. Some of the lawsuits contend that mid-decade redistricting violates the state’s constitution and that Republican Gov. Mike Kehoe had no legal grounds to call lawmakers into a special session to pass the new map.

source

Hyundai to recall over 51,000 vehicles in US over risk of fire, NHTSA says

Hyundai to recall over 51,000 vehicles in US over risk of fire, NHTSA says 150 150 admin

Dec 24 (Reuters) – Hyundai Motor is recalling 51,587 vehicles in the U.S. because a short circuit in non-functioning trailer lights, caused by incorrect installation of the wiring harness, could increase the risk of fire, the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said on Wednesday.

As a remedy, owners are advised to park outside and away from structures until the recall repair is complete. Dealers will replace the trailer wiring harness, free of charge, NHTSA added.

(Reporting by Mihika Sharma in Bengaluru; Editing by Rashmi Aich)

source

Syrian church marks Christmas and reaffirms faith months after deadly attack

Syrian church marks Christmas and reaffirms faith months after deadly attack 150 150 admin

DWEIL’A, Syria (AP) — At a church in Syria where a suicide attack killed 25 people in June, hundreds of worshippers gathered before Christmas to remember those they lost and reaffirm their faith.

With a small detail of security forces standing guard outside, members of Mar Elias Church held Mass on Tuesday evening and lit an image of Christmas tree made of neon lights on the wall of the courtyard outside. The tree was hung with pictures of those who were killed in the attack.

They include three men the congregation hails as heroes for tackling the bomber, potentially averting a much higher death toll in the June 22 attack.

A man opened fire then detonated an explosive vest inside the Greek Orthodox church in Dweil’a on the outskirts of Damascus as it was filled with people praying on a Sunday.

Before he detonated the vest, brothers Boutros and Gergis Bechara and another congregant, Milad Haddad, tackled the shooter and pushed him out of the center of the church, congregants said.

“If it weren’t for the three of them, maybe not one person would remain out of 400 people,” said Imad Haddad, the brother of Milad Haddad, who attended Tuesday’s Christmas tree lighting.

He hasn’t decorated for Christmas or put up a tree at home, but gathering at the church was “is a message of peace and love” and a message that “we are believers and we are strong and we are steadfast in spite of everything,” he said.

Thana al-Masoud, the widow of Boutros Bechara, recalled searching frantically for her husband after the explosion but she never found him, alive or dead. His body had been ripped apart by the blast.

“There’s no holiday, neither this year nor next year nor the one after it,” she said.

She takes comfort in the belief that her husband and the two other men who confronted the attacker are martyrs for their faith.

“Our Lord chose them to be saints and to spread His word to all the world,” she said. “But the separation is difficult.”

The attack on the church was the first of its kind in Syria in years and came as a new Sunni Islamist- dominated government in Damascus sought to win the confidence of religious minorities following the ouster of former President Bashar Assad.

Interim President Ahmad al-Sharaa has struggled to exert authority across the country, even in the ranks of allied groups. There have been several deadly outbreaks of sectarian violence in the country in the past year.

While the new government has condemned attacks on minorities, many accuse it of failing to act to control the armed factions it is trying to absorb into the new state army and security forces.

The June attack was blamed on an Islamic State cell, which authorities said had also planned to target a Shiite shrine. IS did not claim responsibility for the attack, while a little-known group called Saraya Ansar al-Sunna said one of its members had carried out the attack. The government said the group was a cover for IS.

Christians made up about 10% of Syria’s population of 23 million before mass anti-government protests in 2011 were met by a brutal government crackdown and spiraled into a brutal 14-year civil war that saw the rise of IS and other extremist groups.

Hundreds of thousands of Christians fled during the war, during which there were sectarian attacks on Christians including the kidnapping of nuns and priests and destruction of churches. Now many are once again seeking to leave.

Since losing her husband in the church attack, Juliette Alkashi feels numb.

The couple had been sweethearts before she left Syria with her mother and brother to emigrate to Venezuela. In 2018, when Emile Bechara asked her to marry him, Alkashi moved back to Syria even though it was still in the midst of a civil war.

“Whatever is going to happen will happen, and I’ve surrendered to it,” she said. “If one goes to pray and dies in the church — whatever God has written is what will be.”

The only thing that matters now, Alkashi said, is that she and her 3-year-old son remain together.

Some congregants said the attack only strengthened their faith.

“I saw a column of smoke rising from the ground to the ceiling, and I heard a voice saying, ‘I will not forsake you and I will not leave you,’” said Hadi Kindarji, who described an intense spiritual experience in the moment of the explosion.

He believes today that even the seemingly senseless violence was part of God’s plan.

“Our God is present, and He was present in the church,” he said.

Yohanna Shehadeh, the priest of Mar Elias church, acknowledged many in the congregation are afraid of more deadly violence.

“Fear is a natural state. I’m not going to tell you there is no fear, and I’m not only talking about the Christians but about all the Syrian people, from all sects,” Shehadeh said.

As Christmas approaches, he said, they are praying for peace.

source

Taylor Swift donates $1 million to Feeding America, group says

Taylor Swift donates $1 million to Feeding America, group says 150 150 admin

What the newly released Epstein files say about Trump

What the newly released Epstein files say about Trump 150 150 admin

Early Tuesday morning, the Justice Department released thousands of new documents from the Jeffrey Epstein files, including many that mention President Trump. CBS News’ Scott MacFarlane and Willie James Inman have more.
source

Former US Senator Ben Sasse announces he has terminal cancer

Former US Senator Ben Sasse announces he has terminal cancer 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON, Dec 23 (Reuters) – Former U.S. Senator Ben Sasse, who also served as University of Florida president, announced on Tuesday he has been diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.

“This is a tough note to write, but since a bunch of you have started to suspect something, I’ll cut to the chase,” Sasse, 53, said on social media platform X. “Last week I was diagnosed with metastasized, stage-four pancreatic cancer, and am gonna die.”

Sasse, a Christian conservative, represented Nebraska in the U.S. Senate from 2015 to 2023, where he became a prominent critic of President Donald Trump. 

He was one of only seven Republicans who voted to convict Trump on a charge of inciting insurrection during a January 6, 2021, speech to supporters just before hundreds of them stormed the U.S. Capitol. A year earlier, Sasse had joined nearly all Republicans in voting to acquit Trump in the president’s first impeachment trial.

Sasse, who has degrees from Harvard College, St. John’s College and Yale University, left the Senate to become president of the University of Florida in February 2023. He stepped down last year after his wife, Melissa, was diagnosed with epilepsy.

“I’m not going down without a fight,” Sasse said in his social media post on Tuesday. 

“One sub-part of God’s grace is found in the jawdropping advances science has made the past few years in immunotherapy and more. Death and dying aren’t the same — the process of dying is still something to be lived.”

(Reporting by David Morgan in Washington; Editing by Matthew Lewis)

source

US consumer confidence deteriorates in December

US consumer confidence deteriorates in December 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON, Dec 23 (Reuters) – U.S. consumer confidence deteriorated in December amid deepening anxiety over jobs and income, consistent with economists’ expectations for a sharp moderation in consumer spending after it surged in the third quarter.

The Conference Board said on Tuesday its consumer confidence index fell 3.8 points to 89.1 this month. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast the index at 91.0.

“Consumers’ write-in responses on factors affecting the economy continued to be led by references to prices and inflation, tariffs and trade, and politics,” said Dana Peterson, chief economist at the Conference Board. “However, December saw increases in mentions of immigration, war, and topics related to personal finances—including interest rates, taxes and income, banks and insurance.”

(Reporting by Lucia Mutikani)

source

Paralympic medalist Hunter Woodhall reflects on overcoming obstacles: "I'm not giving up"

Paralympic medalist Hunter Woodhall reflects on overcoming obstacles: "I'm not giving up" 150 150 admin

In the “CBS Mornings” series “Note to Self,” Paralympic medalist Hunter Woodhall reflects on the challenges he’s faced in life and his journey of perseverance.
source

Congo halts artisanal copper and cobalt processing amid corruption crackdown

Congo halts artisanal copper and cobalt processing amid corruption crackdown 150 150 admin

Dec 23 (Reuters) – Democratic Republic of Congo has suspended artisanal copper and cobalt mineral processing, according to a decree seen by Reuters, in an effort to improve transparency and prevent illegal exports, a pervasive problem in the mineral-rich nation.

Congo, the world’s top cobalt supplier contributing around 70% of global output, has wrestled for decades with illegal, artisanal mining that diverts revenue away from the nation’s coffers.

The decree, dated December 19 and signed by mines minister Louis Watum Kabamba, orders all entities that process and market artisanal copper and cobalt to suspend operations and certify the origin of minerals used. 

A commission would be set up to carry out compliance and to verify the traceability and legality of supplies, the document said.

Reuters could not determine the likely impact on illegal exports and Congo’s government had no figures.

“This suspension will be an opportunity to identify the flow and volume of minerals processed by the processing units,” a source at the president’s office said.

LICOCO, a Congolese  nongovernmental group that aims to fight corruption in the sector said many entities operating illegally paid bribes to obtain their permits to circumvent the requirements laid out in the mining code.

Congo launched its first batch of traceable artisanal cobalt in November to clean up the supply chain and align production with international environmental, social and governance standards.  

Artisanal mining is a lifeline for many in Congo, employing an estimated 1.5 million to 2 million people and supporting more than 10 million people indirectly.

But unregulated output is difficult to track, risks being confiscated by the government and pushes up the price of ethically produced, traceable cobalt. 

(Reporting by Yassin Kombi; Writing by Anait Miridzhanian; Editing by Jessica Donati, Alexandra Hudson)

source

Mandy Patinkin and Aram Rappaport on "The Artist" and remembering Rob Reiner

Mandy Patinkin and Aram Rappaport on "The Artist" and remembering Rob Reiner 150 150 admin