• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2022

Perdue suit pushing election fraud claims dismissed by judge

Perdue suit pushing election fraud claims dismissed by judge 150 150 admin

ATLANTA (AP) — A Georgia judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by former U.S. Sen. David Perdue that alleged fraudulent or counterfeit ballots were counted in the state’s most populous county during the 2020 general election.

Perdue filed the lawsuit, along with an individual voter, in December a few days after he announced that he would be challenging Gov. Brian Kemp in the Republican primary. Among other things, the suit sought access to examine absentee ballots, saying that would allow the petitioners to prove that there had been fraud in Fulton County.

Investigators with the secretary of state’s office found no evidence to support the fraud claims, but that hasn’t stopped former President Donald Trump, Perdue and others from continuing to spread them.

The suit was similar to another filed by a group of voters that was dismissed in October because a judge found the group hadn’t alleged a “particularized injury” and therefore didn’t have standing to sue. That ruling has been appealed.

Perdue and voter Elizabeth Grace Lennon argued that their state constitutional rights to equal protection and due process have been violated. Perdue claims his particularized injury was that he was a candidate for reelection in November but failed to achieve a majority, forcing him into a runoff with Democrat Jon Ossoff that Perdue lost. Lennon says she sought to cast an in-person early vote in October 2020 but was told someone had already submitted a mail ballot in her name.

In an order dated Wednesday dismissing the lawsuit, Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney wrote that it “is not really about Perdue’s loss or Lennon’s personal voting experience.” Its core claims, he notes, are that several batches of absentee ballots were scanned multiple times and thousands of unlawful counterfeit absentee ballots were counted and certified in Fulton County.

Those are claims that were repeatedly pushed in the aftermath of the 2020 election by people who allege that widespread fraud caused the presidential election to be stolen from Trump. Perdue, who is trailing Kemp in polls as the May 24 Republican primary grows near, has made claims of a “stolen and rigged” election a central pillar of his campaign and frequently talks about the lawsuit while campaigning.

The lawsuit asks the judge to declare that county officials violated the petitioners’ equal protection and due process rights, but such a declaration requires that they demonstrate that if the court doesn’t act, their interests will be harmed in the future, McBurney wrote. Instead, they asked him to make a declaration about something that had already happened in the past, and the court can’t do that, he wrote.

The lawsuit also asks the judge to issue a series of orders that would empower the petitioners’ experts to “intrude upon the sealed ballot materials of tens of thousands of Fulton County voters, hunt for speculative voter fraud or error, and then determine for themselves what the ‘actual’ vote count should have been in the Election,” McBurney wrote.

“This quixotic journey will not take place,” he added.

Perdue harshly criticized the ruling saying it was “another example of how the establishment continues to cover up what happened in 2020, and we will vigorously appeal the decision.”

The lawsuit “excoriates” county officials for “having ‘negligently, willfully, wantonly, outwardly, maliciously or corruptly and unapologetically acted with malfeasance’ thereby causing electors in Fulton County to experience ‘disenfranchisement, dilution, debasement, and corruption of their vote in the General Election,’” but it doesn’t seek a remedy for the alleged violations of the petitioners’ rights, McBurney wrote.

The lawsuit seeks a declaration that the court is unable to provide and without such a declaration, the petitioners’ requests “are left supported only by sour grapes which make a wine this Court will not serve,” McBurney wrote.

___

Associated Press writer Jeff Amy contributed to this report.

source

More than 10 funds consider making strategic proposals to Toshiba -NHK

More than 10 funds consider making strategic proposals to Toshiba -NHK 150 150 admin

TOKYO (Reuters) – More than 10 investment funds are considering making strategic proposals, including a potential buyout, to Toshiba Corp after the Japanese conglomerate said it would solicit deal offers, national broadcaster NHK reported on Friday.

Those investment funds, which include both Japanese and overseas-based funds, have already signed initial contracts, the report said.

Toshiba, which has been locked in a years-long battle with some of its major shareholders over its direction, said last month it would solicit potential buyout offers, bolstering hopes of a lucrative exit for its hedge fund investors.

(Reporting by Mariko Katsumura; Editing by Lincoln Feast)

source

Relatives of fighters in Ukraine steel plant plead for help, Kyiv working on rescue

Relatives of fighters in Ukraine steel plant plead for help, Kyiv working on rescue 150 150 admin

(Reuters) -Relatives and supporters of Ukrainian fighters in the Azovstal steel plant on Thursday called for fresh efforts to save them as Kyiv said new talks were underway with Moscow on a plan to rescue badly wounded servicemen.

Russian forces have been bombarding the steelworks in the southern port of Mariupol, the last bastion of Ukrainian defenders in a city almost completely controlled by Russia after more than two months of a siege.

Civilians had been trapped at the plant and Kyiv says they have all been evacuated. But there is no deal on allowing out hundreds of fighters, some of whom are wounded.

“We have started a new round of negotiations around a road map for an (evacuation) operation. And we will start with those who are badly wounded,” Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk told 1+1 television.

Vereshchuk said Ukrainian authorities were working with the Red Cross and United Nations, which had both helped with earlier evacuations.

“We want a document signed on how an evacuation would take place at Azovstal,” she said, adding that Turkey – which has offered to host talks between the presidents of Russia and Ukraine – was also acting as an intermediary.

Demonstrators, mostly women, marched through central Kyiv, holding banners and chanting, “Save defenders of Mariupol, save Azovstal,” “Glory to the heroes of Mariupol,” and “Save the military of Azovstal.”

Maria Zimareva, whose relative is a Azov battalion fighter, said tearfully, “I want all the defenders who are there to return home so that they can continue a normal life with their children and relatives.”

People holed up in the steelworks were dying of wounds that could normally be treated, said Tetiana Pogorlova.

“Nobody attempts to save them. There is nothing we can do except for gathering at such demonstrations and making demands on our authorities.”

Mariupol resident Alina Nesterenko was also at the demonstration in the capital. “The conditions they are in are horrible,” she said. “I have no words to describe them. That’s why we are here. We are begging, we are pleading in every possible way, we are asking for our loved ones to be saved.”

(Reporting by Abdel Hadi Ramahi, Anna Dabrowska and Ron Popeski; Writing by Mark Porter, David Ljunggren and Ron Popeski;Editing by Rosalba O’Brien and Richard Chang)

source

Tom Cruise arrives in helicopter to "Top Gun: Maverick" premiere

Tom Cruise arrives in helicopter to "Top Gun: Maverick" premiere 150 150 admin

January 6 committee subpoenas McCarthy and 4 other GOP congressmen

January 6 committee subpoenas McCarthy and 4 other GOP congressmen 150 150 admin

The House select committee investigating the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol issued subpoenas Thursday to five Republican congressmen, including House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy. CBS News Congressional correspondent Scott MacFarlane has more from Washington.
source

"CBS Evening News" headlines for Thursday, May 12, 2022

"CBS Evening News" headlines for Thursday, May 12, 2022 150 150 admin

Here’s a look at the top stories making headlines on the “CBS Evening News with Norah O’Donnell.”
source

Nigerian student beaten, burned to death over ‘blasphemous’ text messages

Nigerian student beaten, burned to death over ‘blasphemous’ text messages 150 150 admin

By Hamza Ibrahim

KANO, Nigeria (Reuters) -A female Nigerian student was beaten to death and set on fire by fellow students who accused her of posting “blasphemous” statements in a student Whatsapp group, two witnesses and police said.

The school, located in Nigeria’s northwesternmost state of Sokoto, was immediately closed down following the attack.

Two suspects were arrested in connection with the murder of the student, who was identified as Deborah Samuel, said a spokesperson for the Sokoto state command. Reuters was not able to reach her family for comment.

“There is a WhatsApp group being used by the students and her Muslim colleague student posted an Islamic piece. She criticised the posting,” said one of the witnesses, who declined to be named.

“She composed an audio that contains blasphemous comments on the Prophet of Islam and posted in the group, that is what triggered everything.”

Nigeria is divided into a largely Christian south and mostly Muslim north.

“Students forcefully removed the victim from the security room where she was hidden by the school authorities, killed her and burnt the building,” police spokesperson Sanusi Abubakar said in a statement.

School security and police attempted to rescue the victim but were overwhelmed by the students, the witnesses said.

“Police have fired teargas on the students…then began firing shots in the sky to disperse the students, but they resisted,” said a student in her second year.

“The police sacrificed the lady after the students began throwing sticks and stones at them, then the students used stones and sticks to beat the lady. After being beaten, she was set on fire.”

The Shehu Shagari College of Education in Sokoto said in a statement that it had closed the college indefinitely “following today’s early morning student rampage.”

The Sultanate Council Sokoto condemned the “unfortunate happenings…that led to the loss of life of a female student at the institution.”

(Reporting by Hamza Ibrahim in Kano, additional reporting by Maiduguri newsroom; Writing by Julia Payne;Editing by Leslie Adler and Lisa Shumaker)

source

Bob Dylan Center: A window into the voice of a generation

Bob Dylan Center: A window into the voice of a generation 150 150 admin

This week on "Sunday Morning" (May 15)

This week on "Sunday Morning" (May 15) 150 150 admin

A look at the features for this week’s broadcast of the #1 Sunday morning news program
source

Judge lifts contempt ruling against Trump, with conditions

Judge lifts contempt ruling against Trump, with conditions 150 150 admin

Trump still needs to pay $110,000 in fines accrued and satisfy other conditions.
source