• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2022

Inflation forces increase in California minimum wage

Inflation forces increase in California minimum wage 150 150 admin

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Soaring inflation will trigger an automatic increase in California’s minimum wage next year, Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration announced Thursday.

The minimum wage will jump to $15.50 per hour on Jan. 1, the highest of any state. That’s an increase from $15 per hour for companies with more than 25 employees and $14 per hour for companies with 25 workers or less.

California lawmakers voted to increase the minimum wage to $15 per hour in 2016, but the increase was phased in over several years. The law says the minimum wage must increase to $15.50 per hour for everyone if increased by more than 7%. Thursday, the California Department of Finance said they project inflation for the 2022 fiscal year — which ends June 30 — will be 7.6% higher than the year before, triggering the increase.

Official inflation figures won’t be final until this summer. But the Newsom administration believes the growth will be more than enough to trigger the automatic increase.

Inflation has been a problem everywhere, as consumer prices jumped 8.3% last month from a year ago and diluted the purchasing power of the U.S. consumer. A labor shortage throughout the pandemic has prompted many companies to increase pay sometimes beyond the minimum wage just to attract and retain workers.

California has about 3 million minimum wage workers, according to a conservative estimate from the state Department of Finance. The increase in the minimum wage will be about $3 billion, or less than 0.1% of the $3.3 trillion in personal income Californians are projected to earn.

Bosler said the increase could cause prices to jump for restaurants, which have low profit margins. But overall, she said the minimum wage increase is “expected to have a very minimal impact on overall inflation in the state’s economy.”

The minimum wage increase is only a portion of the extra money that could land in taxpayers’ pockets this year. Thursday, the governor doubled down on a proposal to send $800 checks to Californians who own cars to help offset high gas prices. The proposal would cost $11.5 billion and would also include spending $750 million to give everyone free rides on public transit for up to three months.

Newsom proposed that in March, but Democrats in the Legislature have rejected it. Instead, they want to send $200 checks to low-to-moderate income California taxpayers and their dependents, regardless of whether they own a car.

Bosler said the Newsom administration believes their proposal is better because they would hire an outside company to distribute the checks faster than the government could.

“I think they have their points, I think we have our reasons for wanting to stick with our proposal,” Bosler said. “We’ll keep working with them.”

Senate President Pro Tempore Toni Atkins said they are working on a plan that is “not just passing a one-size-fits-all windfall that benefits millionaires.”

“Senate Democrats do not believe a rebate tied to car ownership does the job,” Atkins said. “That plan leaves out non-car owners, including low income and elderly Californians, who are also impacted by the current high costs of consumer goods and are also deserving of relief.”

While that proposal has stalled, Newsom revealed a new plan on Thursday that would send $1,000 checks to workers in hospitals and nursing homes in recognition of their dangerous work during the pandemic. About 600,000 workers would be eligible for the money, which would go to anyone who works inside a hospital or a nursing home — including doctors, nurses and other support staff.

Workers would be guaranteed a $1,000 check. But if companies agree to add in another $500, the state will match it for a total of $2,000.

“These workers have been on the front lines throughout the COVID pandemic,” Bosler said. “They also are suffering very critical retention issues and shortages and we hope that additional payment will help to address those issues.”

Dave Regan, president of SEIU-United Healthcare Workers West, said staffing problems at hospitals and nursing homes have only worsened as workers left the industry in droves during the pandemic “because of increased health risks, emotional and mental stress, and overwork.”

“With this investment in keeping skilled health care workers on the job, the governor’s proposal moves us one step closer to a future where every Californian has access to care provided by valued and respected caregivers,” Regan said.

source

Defiant U.S. Senator Rand Paul stymies effort to pass $40 billion Ukraine aid bill

Defiant U.S. Senator Rand Paul stymies effort to pass $40 billion Ukraine aid bill 150 150 admin

By David Morgan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -The top Democrat and Republican in the U.S. Senate joined forces in a rare moment of unity on Thursday in an attempt to pass $40 billion in aid for Ukraine, only to be stymied by a single Republican lawmaker: Senator Rand Paul.

Faced with the prospect of an extended delay for the package that passed the House of Representatives on Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and his Republican counterpart, Mitch McConnell, sought to move forward on the aid package only to be blocked by Paul, a longtime fiscal hawk who objects to the amount of spending proposed.

The stalemate delayed passage of the measure into next week.

The Senate has scheduled an initial procedural vote on the bill for late Monday afternoon. It was unclear whether that vote would then speed passage of the Ukraine aid. Alternatively, passage could come around the middle of next week if any senator wants to force a series of legislative steps before a final vote.

As the Ukraine aid bill became caught in the Senate’s procedural gears, Schumer pleaded for fast action: “The package is ready to go, the vast majority of senators on both sides of the aisle want it.”

“If Senator Paul persists in his reckless demands … all he will accomplish is to single-handedly delay desperately-needed Ukraine aid.”

But Paul was not moved.

The delay into next week could cause problems for Western nations trying to bolster Ukraine in its fight against Russia. The Biden administration has said that by May 19 it expects to run out available funds to draw on under an authority that allows the president to authorize the transfer of weapons without congressional approval in response to an emergency.

Paul is demanding that the legislation be altered to require an inspector general to oversee spending on Ukraine. Without his agreement, the Senate must follow a lengthy process stipulated by the chamber’s arcane rules.

In an usual display of legislative theater, Schumer was joined by his political rival, McConnell, who also addressed the urgency of the situation.

“Ukraine is not asking us to fight this war. They’re only asking for the resources they need to defend themselves against this deranged invasion. And they need this help right now,” said McConnell, who is Paul’s fellow senator from Kentucky.

The House passed the Ukraine spending bill by 368 to 57, with only Republicans voting against it.

President Joe Biden had asked Congress to approve an additional $33 billion in aid for Ukraine. But lawmakers decided to increase the military and humanitarian funding.

On Thursday, Schumer and McConnell offered Paul an amendment vote on his proposal that would have required support from 60 of the 100 senators to pass.

But Paul refused the offer and demanded the Senate adopt his amendment before voting on the aid package.

“This is the second spending bill for Ukraine in two months. And this bill is three times larger than the first,” Paul said before formally blocking the aid package. “Congress just wants to keep on spending, and spending.”

(Reporting by David Morgan, additional reporting by Richard Cowan, Moira Warburton and Eric Beech; Editing by Scott Malone and Grant McCool)

source

Psychologist testifies Johnny Depp assaulted ex-wife Amber Heard

Psychologist testifies Johnny Depp assaulted ex-wife Amber Heard 150 150 admin

Tennessee couple wakes up to find a strange dog in their bed

Tennessee couple wakes up to find a strange dog in their bed 150 150 admin

“I roll over and me and my husband I lock eyes — and sure enough, it is not our dog,” Julie Johnson said.
source

Migrant families separated by U.S. face elusive quests for reparations

Migrant families separated by U.S. face elusive quests for reparations 150 150 admin

Dozens of families separated along the U.S.-Mexico border under Trump are seeking reparations in federal court, but the Biden administration has sought to dismiss their lawsuits.
source

Biden marks one million U.S. COVID deaths after losing political battles

Biden marks one million U.S. COVID deaths after losing political battles 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Joe Biden on Thursday commemorated the COVID-19 deaths of 1 million people in the United States, marking what he called “a tragic milestone” and urging Americans to “remain vigilant” during the ongoing pandemic.

In a statement, Biden acknowledged the impact of the deaths on families left behind and urged the country not to “grow numb to such sorrow.”

The United States on Wednesday reached more than 1 million COVID-19 deaths, according to a Reuters tally, crossing a once-unthinkable milestone about two years after the first cases upended everyday life. The loss represents about one death for every 327 Americans, or more than the entire population of San Francisco or Seattle.

Most of those deaths, some 600,000, happened after Biden took office in January 2021 at the peak of a major wave of the disease.

Biden marked the sad occasion by ordering flags to be flown at half-staff. The administration on Thursday also hosted a global COVID Summit with other countries to spur international efforts to fight the pandemic.

Biden’s more muted response to the 1 million deaths contrasts with his commemoration of 500,000 deaths last year, roughly a month after he took over from former President Donald Trump, who many voters criticized for downplaying COVID’s impacts and bungling the government response.

In February 2021, 500 lit candles lined steps at the White House and a military band played “Amazing Grace” as Biden, his wife Jill, Vice President Kamala Harris and her husband, Doug Emhoff, bowed their heads in respect for the dead.

Politically, Biden now owns the pandemic. He ran against Trump on a promise to take it more seriously, and he came into office with a plan to get Americans vaccinated and an attempt to show leadership on mask-wearing and mitigation efforts.

But he faced an unexpectedly strong opposition to vaccine and mask mandates, led by Republicans, that turned public safety measures endorsed by disease experts into a political and legal battle in the United States.

A conservative-dominated Supreme Court struck down his federal vaccine-or-test mandate for companies, and a Trump-appointed judge struck down his public transportation mask mandate.

READY TO MOVE ON

The administration’s focus on vaccines as the way out of the pandemic also left it scrambling when new virus variants emerged that were resistant to them, health experts said, while some critics also faulted Biden’s team for not doing enough early on to increase coronavirus testing nationwide.

Just 67% of Americans are fully vaccinated – one of the lowest rates among wealthy countries – and hundreds are still dying from the disease every day.

Now, even with cases once again rising, mask-wearing is less common, mandates are increasingly taboo, and some Democrats, including in the administration, seem ready simply to move on.

Polls seen by the White House have shown that some key voters view the party’s response to COVID, which Biden aides have long viewed as one of the president’s strengths, as too heavy-handed.

While many Americans are eager to maintain the use of masks and other safety measures, many are also fatigued by the two-year-old pandemic and more focused on fears about the direction of the economy, one White House official said, citing public and Democratic polls.

That has been reflected in Biden’s response.

In his recent public remarks, the president mentions COVID-19 more often as a cause of inflation than as a sickness that Americans should work to avoid. The administration has emphasized the fact that COVID deaths are relatively low compared with earlier in the health crisis.

Biden has urged Congress to fund billions more in COVID aid to continue fighting the virus as new variants of concern emerge.

“We must remain vigilant against this pandemic and do everything we can to save as many lives as possible, as we have with more testing, vaccines, and treatments than ever before,” Biden said on Thursday. “It’s critical that Congress sustain these resources in the coming months.”

U.S. lawmakers had reached a $10 billion deal but the additional tranche of funding has been delayed over various concerns.

Researchers are working on yet another booster shot as the virus continues to mutate, and health experts have said greater pandemic investment is needed now to thwart future outbreaks that could cause further havoc.

The precise toll of the pandemic may never be truly known. Some people who died while infected were never tested and are not represented in the data. Others, while having COVID-19, may have died for another reason such as a cancer, but were still counted.

(Reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt and Jeff Mason, additional reporting by by Alexandra Alper and Susan Heavey; Editing by Heather Timmons, Bernadette Baum and Bill Berkrot)

source

Twitter CEO says two leaders to depart, hiring paused amid Musk takeover

Twitter CEO says two leaders to depart, hiring paused amid Musk takeover 150 150 admin

By Sheila Dang

(Reuters) -Two senior Twitter leaders who oversee the consumer and revenue divisions will depart the social media company, Chief Executive Officer Parag Agrawal told employees in a memo on Thursday, in one of the biggest shake-ups at the company since billionaire Elon Musk announced he would buy it for $44 billion.

Agrawal also said in the memo, which was seen by Reuters, that Twitter would pause most hiring and review all existing job offers to determine whether any “should be pulled back.”

He attributed the decision in part because Twitter was not able to hit user growth and revenue milestones to maintain confidence that it could reach aggressive growth targets it had set in 2020.

“We need to continue to be intentional about our teams, hiring and costs,” Agrawal wrote.

The company was targeting $7.5 billion in annual revenue and 315 million daily users by the end of 2023, but withdrew those goals in its recent earnings report.

Kayvon Beykpour, who led Twitter’s consumer division, and Bruce Falck, who oversaw revenue, both tweeted on Thursday that the departures were not their decisions.

“Parag asked me to leave after letting me know that he wants to take the team in a different direction,” Beykpour tweeted, adding he was still on paternity leave from Twitter.

“I’ll clarify that I too was fired by (Parag),” Falck said, though he appeared to later delete the tweet.

Falck thanked his team in a tweet thread and updated his bio to say “unemployed.”

“We were able to achieve the results we did through your hard work – quarterly revenue does not lie. Google it,” he said.

Jay Sullivan, who was leading the consumer unit during Beykpour’s leave, will become permanent head of the division. He will also oversee the revenue team until a new leader is named, Agrawal said in the memo.

While no layoffs are planned, Agrawal said Twitter will reduce its spending on contractors, travel and marketing as well as its real estate footprint.

(Reporting by Sheila Dang in Dallas; additional reporting by Katie PaulEditing by Chizu Nomiyama, Will Dunham, Nick Zieminski and Bernard Orr)

source

As war rages, Ukrainian joins thousands in Portugal to pray for peace

As war rages, Ukrainian joins thousands in Portugal to pray for peace 150 150 admin

By Catarina Demony and Miguel Pereira

FATIMA, Portugal (Reuters) – Armed with a candle and a blue and yellow flag, Karina Potomkina, a Ukrainian who has been watching her country being ravaged by war from afar, joined tens thousands of faithful in Portugal on Thursday evening to pray for peace.

Potomkina, a 42-year-old who moved from the Ukrainian city of Vinnytsia to Lisbon two decades ago, and about 200,000 others gathered at one of Catholicism’s most famous sanctuaries, the Fatima shrine.

The annual event marks the first of three reported visions of the Virgin Mary, also known as Our Lady, more than 100 years ago. But many like Potomkina took the opportunity to urge Russia to end its invasion of Ukraine.

“This really is a place where people can ask for peace, pray for those we lost and … for the end of this war that has no explanation,” a teary-eyed Potomkina said as she placed a Ukrainian flag on a fence next to a Portuguese one.

Her mother, grandmother and siblings are back home in Ukraine. Some of her relatives are doctors and nurses and have refused to leave, staying to help those in need.

Russia sent tens of thousands of troops into Ukraine on Feb. 24 in what it called a “special operation” to degrade its military capabilities and root out what it calls dangerous nationalists. Thousands have been killed and more than 5 million people – mainly women, children and older people – have been forced to flee.

“It’s very difficult,” said Potomkina as she waited for the candlelight procession to start.

The Roman Catholic Church teaches the Virgin Mary appeared to three Portuguese children in 1917 in Fatima, which was then an impoverished farming village. It believes she gave the children three messages, the so-called secrets of Fatima.

Pope Francis made two of the shepherd children saints in 2017.

Among the crowd and also holding a candle was 70-year-old retiree Fatima Sampaio.

“I’m moved, very moved,” Sampaio said as she struggled to hold back the tears “(I’m here to) thank Our Lady for being well (after COVID-19)… and now I am asking her, above all, for peace: peace in Europe, peace for all.”

(Reporting by Catarina Demony, Miguel Pereira and Pedro Nunes in Fatima; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

source

Jerome Powell confirmed by Senate to second term as Fed chair

Jerome Powell confirmed by Senate to second term as Fed chair 150 150 admin

“The Federal Reserve plays a primary role in fighting inflation,” President Biden said in his statement on Powell’s confirmation.
source