• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2026

Cotton: New Venezuelan government cannot "continue Nicolás Maduro's ways"

Cotton: New Venezuelan government cannot "continue Nicolás Maduro's ways" 150 150 admin

President Trump “wants to give them a chance to turn the page in Venezuela and to help America achieve our policy goals there,” Sen. Tom Cotton said on “Face the Nation with Margaret Brennan.”
source

Numerous teenagers among the dead identified in Swiss bar blaze, police say

Numerous teenagers among the dead identified in Swiss bar blaze, police say 150 150 admin

By John Revill

ZURICH, Jan 4 (Reuters) – Teenagers as young as 14 and 15 were among those who died in the New Year’s Eve bar fire that killed 40 people in Switzerland, police said on Sunday, as the Pope offered his sympathies to the victims and their families.

Police in Valais said they had identified 16 more of those who died in the blaze in Crans-Montana, one of the worst disasters in recent Swiss history.

The newly identified victims included 10 Swiss nationals, two Italians, one person with Italian-Emirati citizenship, one Romanian, one person from France and one from Turkey, Valais police said. No names were released.

Hundreds of mourners attended a church service in the town on Sunday morning, where Bishop Jean-Marie Lovey said condolences had poured in from around the world, including from the Pope.

“Countless people join us — people whose hearts are broken,” Lovey told the service. “Many expressions of sympathy and solidarity reach us.

“Pope Leo XIV joins in our sorrow,” he added. “In a moving message, he expresses his compassion and his care for the victims’ families and strengthens the courage of all who are suffering.”

MORE VICTIMS IDENTIFIED

The youngest person identified so far is a 14-year-old Swiss girl, while two 15-year-old girls, also from Switzerland, were among the dead.

Ten of the other bodies identified on Sunday were teenagers aged 16 to 18, police said. Also identified were two Swiss men aged 20 and 31, and a French national aged 39.

In total, police have identified 24 of those who died in the blaze in the mountain resort.

Late on Saturday, police said two Swiss women aged 24 and 22, along with two Swiss men aged 21 and 18, had been identified.

The mother of a 16-year-old Swiss boy Arthur Brodard confirmed overnight that he was among those killed.

“Our Arthur has departed to party in heaven,” Laetitia Brodard-Sitre said on her Facebook page.

“Now we can start our mourning, knowing he is in peace,” she said.

NATIONAL DAY OF MOURNING

Switzerland will hold a national day of mourning on Friday, national president Guy Parmelin said on Sunday, with church bells ringing across the country and a minute’s silence planned.

“In this moment of reflection, everyone in Switzerland can personally remember the victims of the disaster,” Parmelin told newspaper Sonntagsblick.

The fire likely started when “fountain candle” sparklers were held aloft too close to the ceiling at the Constellation bar, the region’s chief prosecutor has said.

Some 119 people were injured, including many with severe burns, and several were transferred to burn units in hospitals across Europe. Work on identifying the dead and injured is continuing, the police said.

Two people who ran the bar are under criminal investigation on suspicion of offences including homicide by negligence, prosecutors said on Saturday.

(Reporting by John Revill, additional reporting by Emma Farge; Editing by Hugh Lawson, Christina Fincher and Ros Russell)

source

Hugo Chávez: The 60 Minutes interview | 60 Minutes Archive

Hugo Chávez: The 60 Minutes interview | 60 Minutes Archive 150 150 admin

In 2002, 60 Minutes interviewed President Hugo Chávez about his rise to power, the coup that ousted him, and his return to power in Venezuela. Steve Kroft described the outspoken president as “a larger than life figure” who was a lot friendlier with the likes of Castro, Qaddafi, and Hussein than he was with the United States. Chávez died in 2013.
source

Saturday Sessions: Margo Price performs "Red Eye Flight"

Saturday Sessions: Margo Price performs "Red Eye Flight" 150 150 admin

Denmark prime minister calls on Trump to "stop the threats" about Greenland

Denmark prime minister calls on Trump to "stop the threats" about Greenland 150 150 admin

President Trump has repeatedly claimed that making Greenland part of the United States would serve U.S. national security interests, given its strategic location in the Arctic.
source

Britain’s Starmer says leadership change would ‘not be in national interest’

Britain’s Starmer says leadership change would ‘not be in national interest’ 150 150 admin

LONDON, Jan 4 (Reuters) – British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said on Sunday he would still be in power this time next year, in the face of low poll numbers and speculation about a possible leadership challenge.

Starmer told the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg it was not in the national interest to “chop and change” the country’s leader as had happened under the previous Conservative government.

His Labour Party is trailing the populists Reform UK in opinion polls 18 months after winning a landslide victory in the 2024 national election.

The prime minister’s personal rating is at historic lows as Labour prepares for local elections in England, Wales and Scotland in May.

Starmer said the elections would not be a “referendum” on his government, but Labour would “fight for every vote”.

Asked if there were any circumstances in which he could stand down if a poor showing prompted a challenge to his leadership, he said he would stay the course.

“Under the last government we saw constant chopping and changing of leadership, of teams — it caused utter chaos, utter chaos, and it’s amongst the reasons that the Tories (Conservatives) were booted out so effectively at the last election,” he said.

“Nobody wants to go back to that. It’s not in our national interest. We know from that evidence what happens if you go down that chaotic path, and I’m not going to take us back to that kind of chaos.”

Conservative lawmakers in effect forced Prime Minister Boris Johnson to stand down in 2022, resulting in the premiership of Liz Truss, the shortest in British history. She was replaced by Rishi Sunak, who led the party to defeat in 2024.

Starmer said in a New Year message on Thursday that life for many Britons was still “harder than it should be”, but people would start to see positive changes in public services and improvements in the cost of living this year.

“I will be judged, and I know I’ll be judged, when we get to the next election on whether I’ve delivered on the key things that matter most to people,” he told Kuenssberg.

(Reporting by Paul Sandle; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

source

Pete Hegseth says U.S. intervention in Venezuela is "exact opposite" of Iraq

Pete Hegseth says U.S. intervention in Venezuela is "exact opposite" of Iraq 150 150 admin

“We spent decades and decades and purchased in blood, and got nothing economically in return, and President Trump flips the script,” Pete Hegseth said.
source

How high schools bring Broadway musicals to new audiences

How high schools bring Broadway musicals to new audiences 150 150 admin

Amid wildfire grief, an LA-area resident sowed sunflowers and hope where her home once stood

Amid wildfire grief, an LA-area resident sowed sunflowers and hope where her home once stood 150 150 admin

ALTADENA, Calif. (AP) — Missi Dowd-Figueroa brought life back to the fire-ravaged plot where her home once stood — one sunflower at a time.

The registered nurse and mother of three lost her 1898 farm-style house in the Eaton Fire, one of two deadly wildfires that tore through the Los Angeles area last January, obliterating entire neighborhoods and displacing tens of thousands of people.

A year later, many are still grappling with grief and sorrow. Few have been able to rebuild so far, and the rest face no shortage of challenges.

“The Altadena I know and love is gone,” Dowd-Figueroa said, referring to the suburb devastated by the fire. “Everything burned down — my dentist, my pharmacy — all of it’s gone. But there’s still something about Altadena that feels like Altadena now, even though there are no homes.”

She’s among those who decided to stay. Her process of healing started with tiny seeds that gave her hope and eventually turned her barren property into a flourishing garden.

Dowd-Figueroa and her family had lived in the four-bedroom, three-bath house for 10 years. It was the longest she’d ever lived in one place, and the sense of loss left her stricken by waves of sadness.

For months, she would drive to the empty lot and cry. Her grief and shock deepened when she realized that, in addition to her late grandmother’s artwork that was in her home, her father’s ashes were gone forever.

“I spent several days digging through the ashes just looking for his little urn, and I never found it,” said Dowd-Figueroa, 44.

Gone, too, were every family photo except those saved on her iPad.

“That was like a second grief, too. I was like, ‘Well, great.’ Now, if my dad knew, he’d be so disappointed because he was such a family lineage type of person,” she said. “I have nothing from my father. You know, I’ll never touch anything that he touched ever again.”

Then one day, after cleanup crews had removed the last of the debris from the 2,000-square-foot lot, she brought along some flower seeds. They were mostly sunflowers, but also included zinnias and cosmos, among others, and planted them in the soil.

“I was already going there every day crying, so I was like, ‘Why am I just sitting here?’ I might as well do something that keeps me busy, and I enjoy, because the house I’m in now, I can’t have a garden,” she said.

Sunflowers can take up cadmium and other heavy metals that can be left behind in the soil, though experts debate their effectiveness after a wildfire. Dowd-Figueroa hoped they would help remove toxins on her property once she ripped them out by the roots and tossed them after they died, being careful not to leave behind seeds.

For several months, while Dowd-Figueroa and her husband took steps toward eventually building a new home, the garden flourished, blanketing a large swath of the lot with a colorful display of approximately 500 flowers — bright orange and red ones, as well as yellow ones with giant heads.

“It was really healing just to come back and tend the space where I lived for the longest time in my life,” she said.

Butterflies began to appear, along with a variety of insects and small animals.

“I felt like I was helping nature come back a little bit,” she said.

Construction began on Dowd-Figueroa’s new home in late September, thanks in part to around $100,000 in donations via a fundraising site. By then, the sunflowers, most of which bloom once and then die, were nearly all gone.

That’s OK. With construction proceeding and estimated to be completed as soon as mid-June, the slowly emerging shape of her new home is now lifting Dowd-Figueroa’s spirits.

“Prior to this, I was just so depressed, like literally sobbed every day,” she said. “It just feels like now there’s a place that exists. It will happen. We can do this.”

__

Associated Press reporter Dorany Pineda contributed from Los Angeles.

source

Israeli forces kill three Palestinians in Gaza, local authorities say

Israeli forces kill three Palestinians in Gaza, local authorities say 150 150 admin

CAIRO, Jan 4 (Reuters) – Israeli forces shot and killed at least three Palestinians in separate incidents in the southern Gaza Strip city of Khan Younis on Sunday, local health authorities said.

Medics reported that the dead included a 15‑year‑old boy, a fisherman killed outside areas still occupied by Israel in the enclave, and a third man who was shot and killed east of the city in areas under Israeli control.

The Israeli military had no immediate comment on the reported incidents.

Israel has carried out repeated air strikes since a ceasefire took effect in October, saying they are aimed at preventing attacks or destroying militant infrastructure.

Gaza’s health ministry says 420 Palestinians have been killed since the ceasefire began, while militants have killed three Israeli soldiers.

Israel and Hamas have traded blame for violations of the ceasefire agreement brokered under U.S. President Donald Trump.

Israel retained control of 53% of Gaza under the first phase of Trump’s plan, which involved the release of hostages held by militants in Gaza and of Palestinians detained by Israel.

The final hostage remains to be handed over are those of an Israeli police officer killed on October 7, 2023 – the day Gazan militants invaded Israel, killing 1,200 and taking some 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies.

Israel’s military assault on Gaza has killed more than 71,000 Palestinians, according to the Gaza health ministry, and led to accusations of genocide and war crimes that Israel denies.

(Reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

source