• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2026

US House Democrats holding January 6 riot forum on Trump election ‘threats’

US House Democrats holding January 6 riot forum on Trump election ‘threats’ 150 150 admin

WASHINGTON, Jan 6 (Reuters) – Democrats in the U.S. House of Representatives will mark the fifth anniversary of a deadly attack on the U.S. Capitol by supporters of President Donald Trump with an unofficial hearing that will probe “ongoing threats” to elections and public safety.

Democrats, as the minority party in Congress, do not have the power to set the legislative agenda, but they can hold informal events to highlight their proposals and criticize Republicans.

“We will examine ongoing threats to free and fair elections,”  House Democratic Leader Hakeem Jeffries said in a statement announcing the forum. He said it also will look into Trump’s pardons of more than 1,500 people who were criminally charged with participating in the January 6 violence.

The Trump administration has sought states’ voter registration lists, leading to fears the information could be misused. Trump has urged states to abandon mail-in ballots and has hinted at running for a third presidential term in 2028, which would violate the U.S. Constitution.

The January 6, 2021 riot, a failed attempt by thousands of Trump supporters to overturn Trump’s 2020 defeat by Democrat Joe Biden, sent lawmakers running for their lives and injured about 140 law enforcement officers.

Four people died during the chaos, including a Trump supporter who was shot dead by police. One police officer, who was attacked by protesters, died the following day. Four other police officers subsequently died by suicide.

Trump insisted the election was stolen from him through fraud, even though he lost a series of court cases challenging the election result.

Some Republicans blamed far-left activists for the attack, and party lawmakers set up a new committee last year to “uncover the full truth” from that day.

“True accountability requires focusing on facts, not selective storytelling for partisan gain,” the chairman of the subcommittee, Barry Loudermilk, said in reference to the Democrats’ hearing.

Also on Tuesday, Enrique Tarrio, a former leader of the Proud Boys far-right militant group who was found guilty of helping to plan the riot, has announced a “patriotic and peaceful march” to honor the memory of protesters who died that day. He received a 22-year sentence for seditious conspiracy but was subsequently pardoned by Trump.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan and Nolan D. McCaskill; editing by Andy Sullivan and Lincoln Feast.)

source

Israel clears final hurdle to start settlement construction that would cut the West Bank in two

Israel clears final hurdle to start settlement construction that would cut the West Bank in two 150 150 admin

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel has cleared the final hurdle before starting construction on a controversial settlement project near Jerusalem that would effectively cut the West Bank into two, according to a government tender.

The tender, seeking bids from developers, would clear the way to begin construction of the E1 project.

The anti-settlement monitoring group Peace Now first reported the tender. Yoni Mizrahi, who runs the group’s settlement watch division, said initial work could begin within the month.

Settlement development in E1, an open tract of land east of Jerusalem, has been under consideration for more than two decades, but was frozen due to U.S. pressure during previous administrations.

The international community overwhelmingly considers Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank to be illegal and an obstacle to peace.

The E1 project is especially contentious because it runs from the outskirts of Jerusalem deep into the occupied West Bank. Critics say it would prevent the establishment of a contiguous Palestinian state in the territory.

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, a far-right politician who oversees settlement policy, has long pushed for the plan to become a reality.

“The Palestinian state is being erased from the table not with slogans but with actions,” he said in August, when Israel gave final approval to the plan. “Every settlement, every neighborhood, every housing unit is another nail in the coffin of this dangerous idea.”

The tender, publicly accessible on the website for Israel’s Land Authority, calls for proposals to develop 3,401 housing units. Peace Now says the publication of the tender “reflects an accelerated effort to advance construction in E1.”

source

Sneak peek: Tracking the Killer of Mary Catherine Edwards

Sneak peek: Tracking the Killer of Mary Catherine Edwards 150 150 admin

ENCORE: A schoolteacher is murdered in her own home. Years later investigators discover she was a bridesmaid at the killer’s wedding. “48 Hours” contributor Natalie Morales reports Saturday, Jan. 10 at 9/8c on CBS and streaming on Paramount+.
source

Nikki Glaser talks preparing to host Golden Globes

Nikki Glaser talks preparing to host Golden Globes 150 150 admin

Musk’s AI chatbot faces global backlash over sexualized images of women and children

Musk’s AI chatbot faces global backlash over sexualized images of women and children 150 150 admin

LONDON (AP) — Elon Musk’s AI chatbot Grok is facing a backlash from governments around the world after a recent surge in sexualized images of women and children generated without consent by the artificial intelligence-powered tool.

On Tuesday, Britain’s top technology official demanded that Musk’s social media platform X take urgent action while a Polish lawmaker cited it as a reason to enact digital safety laws.

The European Union’s executive arm has denounced Grok while officials and regulators in France, India, Malaysia and Brazil have condemned the platform and called for investigations.

Rising alarm from disparate nations points to the nightmarish potential of nudification apps that use artificial intelligence to generate sexually explicit deepfake images.

Here’s a closer look:

The problem emerged after the launch last year of Grok Imagine, an AI image generator that allows users to create videos and pictures by typing in text prompts. It includes a so-called “spicy mode” that can generate adult content.

It snowballed late last month when Grok, which is hosted on X, apparently began granting a large number of user requests to modify images posted by others. As of Tuesday, Grok users could still generate images of women using requests such as, “put her in a transparent bikini.”

The problem is amplified both because Musk pitches his chatbot as an edgier alternative to rivals with more safeguards, and because Grok’s images are publicly visible, and can therefore be easily spread.

Nonprofit group AI Forensics said in a report that it analyzed 20,000 images generated by Grok between Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 and found that 2% depicted a person who appeared to be 18 or younger, including 30 of young or very young women or girls, in bikinis or transparent clothes.

Musk’s artificial intelligence company, xAI, responded to a request for comment with the automated response, “Legacy Media Lies”.

However, X did not deny that the troublesome content generated through Grok exists. Yet it still claimed in a post on its Safety account, that it takes action against illegal content, including child sexual abuse material, “by removing it, permanently suspending accounts, and working with local governments and law enforcement as necessary.”

The platform also repeated a comment from Musk, who said, “Anyone using Grok to make illegal content will suffer the same consequences as if they upload illegal content.”

A growing list of countries are demanding that Musk does more to rein in explicit or abusive content.

X must “urgently” deal with the problem, Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said Tuesday, adding that she supported additional scrutiny from the U.K.’s communications regulator, Ofcom.

Kendall said the content is “absolutely appalling, and unacceptable in decent society.”

“We cannot and will not allow the proliferation of these demeaning and degrading images, which are disproportionately aimed at women and girls.”

Ofcom said Monday it has made “urgent contact” with X.

“We are aware of serious concerns raised about a feature on Grok on X that produces undressed images of people and sexualised images of children,” the watchdog said.

The watchdog said it contacted both X and xAI to understand what steps it has taken to comply with British regulations.

Under the U.K.’s Online Safety Act, social media platforms must prevent and remove child sexual abuse material when they become aware of it.

A Polish lawmaker used Grok on Tuesday as a reason for national digital safety legislation that would beef up protections for minors and make it easier for authorities to remove content.

In an online video, Wlodzimierz Czarzasty, speaker of the parliament, said he wanted make himself a target of Grok to highlight the problem, as well as appeal to Poland’s president for support of the legislation.

“Grok lately is stripping people. It is undressing women, men and children. We feel bad about it. I would, honestly, almost want this Grok to also undress me,” he said.

The bloc’s executive arm is “well aware” that Grok is being used to for “explicit sexual content with some output generated with child-like images,” European Commission spokesman Thomas Regnier said

“This is not spicy. This is illegal. This is appalling. This is disgusting. This is how we see it, and this has no place in Europe. This is not the first time that Grok is generating such output,” he told reporters Monday.

After Grok spread Holocaust-denial content last year, according to Regnier, the Commission sought more information from Musk’s social media platform X. The response from X is currently being analyzed, he said.

The Paris prosecutor’s office said it’s widening an ongoing investigation of X to include sexually explicit deepfakes after officials receiving complaints from lawmakers.

Three government ministers alerted prosecutors to “manifestly illegal content” generated by Grok and posted on X, according to a government statement last week.

The government also flagged problems with country’s communications regulator over possible breaches of the EU’s Digital Services Act.

“The internet is neither a lawless zone nor a zone of impunity: sexual offenses committed online constitute criminal offenses in their own right and fall fully under the law, just as those committed offline,” the government said.

The Indian government on Friday issued an ultimatum to X, demanding that it take down all “unlawful content” and take action against offending users. The country’s Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology also ordered the company to review Grok’s “technical and governance framework” and file a report on actions taken.

The ministry accused Grok of “gross misuse” of AI and serious failures of its safeguards and enforcement by allowing the generation and sharing of ”obscene images or videos of women in derogatory or vulgar manner in order to indecently denigrate them.”

The ministry warned failure to comply by the 72-hour deadline would expose the company to bigger legal problems, but the deadline passed with no public update from India.

The Malaysian communications watchdog said Saturday it was investigating X users who violated laws prohibiting spreading “grossly offensive, obscene or indecent content.”

The Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission said it’s also investigating online harms on X, and would summon a company representative.

The watchdog said it took note of public complaints about X’s AI tools being used to digitally manipulate “images of women and minors to produce indecent, grossly offensive, or otherwise harmful content.”

Lawmaker Erika Hilton said she reported Grok and X to the Brazilian federal public prosecutor’s office and the country’s data protection watchdog.

In a social media post, she accused both of of generating, then publishing sexualized images of women and children without consent.

She said X’s AI functions should be disabled until an investigation has been carried out.

Hilton, one of Brazil’s first transgender lawmakers, decried how users could get Grok to digitally alter any published photo, including “swapping the clothes of women and girls for bikinis or making them suggestive and erotic.”

“The right to one’s image is individual; it cannot be transferred through the ‘terms of use’ of a social network, and the mass distribution of child porn(asterisk)gr(asterisk)phy by an artificial intelligence integrated into a social network crosses all boundaries,” she said.

__

AP writers Claudia Ciobanu in Warsaw, Lorne Cook in Brussels and John Leicester in Paris contributed to this report.

source

Polymarket bettor wins $400,000 on Maduro's capture, raising eyebrows

Polymarket bettor wins $400,000 on Maduro's capture, raising eyebrows 150 150 admin

Just hours before news broke of the operation to capture Nicolás Maduro, an anonymous user placed a bet that Maduro would be out of power in Venezuela by the end of the month. The bet paid out more than $400,000. CBS News correspondent Jo Ling Kent reports.
source

Pennsylvania Gov. Shapiro has $30 million for his reelection bid, a new state record

Pennsylvania Gov. Shapiro has $30 million for his reelection bid, a new state record 150 150 admin

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Democratic Gov. Josh Shapiro set another campaign finance record for Pennsylvania with $30 million on hand as he seeks a second term this fall, his campaign said Tuesday.

Pennsylvania has emerged as the nation’s premier presidential battleground state, and Shapiro’s strong showing in the 2022 governor’s race elevated his profile within the Democratic Party, where he’s viewed as a potential 2028 White House contender.

In the general election, Shapiro, 52, is expected to face Stacy Garrity, the twice-elected state treasurer who has been endorsed by the state Republican Party. Garrity had yet to report campaign fundraising details as of Tuesday. The deadline to file campaign finance reports with the state is Jan. 31.

Shapiro isn’t expected to face a serious challenge in the May 19 primary election. The deadline to submit paperwork to get on the primary election ballot is March 10.

Shapiro’s $30 million dwarfs the previous state record for a candidate heading into an election year. Shapiro set the previous record, reporting $13.4 million at the start of 2022. Shapiro went on to smash the state campaign spending record that year, reporting that he spent more than $70 million on the race.

source

Sydney Sweeney box-office hit ‘The Housemaid’ to get a sequel

Sydney Sweeney box-office hit ‘The Housemaid’ to get a sequel 150 150 admin

NEW YORK (AP) — After just two and half weeks of release, the Sydney Sweeney box-office hit “The Housemaid” is getting a sequel.

Lionsgate announced Tuesday that it will start production on “The Housemaid’s Secret” later this year. The film will be based on the second of Freida McFadden’s bestselling trilogy of books.

“The Housemaid” has been a hit at the holiday box office, grossing more than $75 million and $133 million worldwide in 17 days of release. The psychological thriller directed by Paul Feig cost a modest $35 million to make.

Lionsgate said “The Housemaid’s Secret” is being developed with the aim of Feig and Sweeney returning, including Sweeney as an executive producer. “The Housemaid” screenwriter Rebecca Sonnenshine is writing the sequel.

“It’s clear from both the global box office and from the outpouring on social media that audiences have responded strongly — and audibly — to the totally unique and truly theatrical experience of The Housemaid and want to know what happens next,” said Adam Fogelson, Lionsgate Motion Picture Group chairman, in a statement.

“The Housemaid” has handed Sweeney a major box-office victory after a disappointing result for her awards-hopeful boxing drama “Christy” in November. That film grossed only $2 million worldwide. In “The Housemaid,” Sweeney stars a live-in housemaid hired by a wealthy couple played by Amanda Seyfried and Brandon Sklenar.

source

Brazil’s Bolsonaro awaits court approval to go to hospital after fall

Brazil’s Bolsonaro awaits court approval to go to hospital after fall 150 150 admin

SAO PAULO, Jan 6 (Reuters) – Brazil’s imprisoned former President Jair Bolsonaro was awaiting Supreme Court authorization on Tuesday to go to a Brasilia hospital for tests after falling and hitting his head, his wife said on social media.

“We are waiting for (Supreme Court) Justice Alexandre de Moraes to authorize it,” Michelle Bolsonaro wrote on Instagram, after saying earlier in the day that he would be hospitalized.

“We are going to the hospital. My love will undergo exams,” she wrote in the earlier post, adding that the 70-year-old right-wing leader fell while sleeping and hit his head on a piece of furniture.

Brazil’s federal police said in a statement that Bolsonaro received initial medical treatment on Tuesday morning, adding that a federal police doctor “found minor injuries” and saw no need for hospitalization.

“Any referral to a hospital depends on authorization from the Supreme Court,” it added.

Bolsonaro underwent a series of medical procedures in December to treat a hernia and hiccups.

He was discharged from hospital on January 1 and taken back to the Federal Police Superintendency in Brasilia, where he is serving a 27-year sentence for plotting a coup after losing the 2022 presidential election.

The former president was stabbed in the abdomen during a 2018 campaign event and has a history of hospitalizations and surgeries related to the attack.

(Reporting by Gabriel Araujo and Isabel Teles)

source

Delcy Rodríguez sworn in as Venezuelan president, but who is she?

Delcy Rodríguez sworn in as Venezuelan president, but who is she? 150 150 admin

With Nicolás Maduro in U.S. custody, who is Venezuela’s new acting President Delcy Rodríguez, and what are her chances of remaining in power?
source