• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

A Colombian city swaps iconic horse buggies for electric carriages amid animal welfare concerns

A Colombian city swaps iconic horse buggies for electric carriages amid animal welfare concerns 150 150 admin

BOGOTA, Colombia (AP) — The Colombian city of Cartagena began replacing its iconic horse buggies with electric carriages Tuesday, following years of protests by animal rights activists, who argued that horses pulling 19th-century-like coaches for tourists suffered from exploitation and poor health.

In a sunny plaza lined with elegant colonial era mansions, Mayor Domek Turbay introduced a new fleet of 30 vehicles with large wheels and open tops that resemble the city’s traditional horse carriages. The new vehicles are powered by batteries and have steering wheels for their drivers, instead of reins and yokes.

“Times are changing,” Turbay said. “For many years locals and visitors alike had rejected the mistreatment that comes with using horses to pull buggies for tourists.”

Cartagena is one of Colombia’s most popular destinations, thanks to its location on the Caribbean Sea, and its well preserved historical center, where visitors can still walk along stone walls built in the 17th century to defend the city from attacks by pirates and buccaneers.

Since the 1940s, tourists have also been able to get around the city’s lantern lit streets on small buggies pulled by horses, whose clip-clopping sound became a quintessential part of the city’s life.

But over the past decade, animal rights activists have been lobbying the municipal government to axe the tradition.

Fanny Pachon, a local activist, said that while horses are pack animals, they are not meant to work in a city with cement roads, cars and motorbikes. She pointed out that on several occasions horses have collapsed on the city’s streets due to Cartagena’s heat.

“Their joints suffer from the pavement,” she said. “And the honking of cars can stress them out.”

The Colombian city, whose historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage site, is now billing itself as the first major tourist destination to replace horse buggies with electric vehicles.

The city government said that over the next few weeks, 62 electric carriages, which were custom built in China, will be introduced in the city center. The city is also building a warehouse with a small solar plant and a charging station for the new sight-seeing vehicles.

The move has been fiercely opposed by the city’s traditional horse buggy owners, who argue that their industry has already been regulated to improve animal welfare.

Coach rides were restricted mostly to night-time hours by regulations published in 2015, that also said that horses had to undergo inspection by the local animal welfare agency.

“We are one of the most regulated industries in this city,” said Jacqueline Gonzalez, the owner of two traditional coaches in Cartagena.

Coach owners have threatened to go on a hunger strike if the city does not compensate them for their losses. They argue that the city government is pushing them out of a business that working class families built up with decades of hard labor.

“This has not been a transition,” said Yesid Soto, the president of an association that represents horse coach owners and their employees. “It has been more of an imposition.”

A decree issued last week by Turbay prohibited the use of horse carriages starting Monday. It states that the electric buggies that will now take tourists around the city center, will be the property of the city.

Soto said there are 26 horse coach owners in the city who will be displaced by the new decree.

He said that coach owners are asking the city to compensate them for the horse carriages that will be taken off the city’s streets, but that so far, an agreement with officials has not been reached. Soto said that during the city’s high season for tourism, in December and January, a horse buggy can earn around $150 each day.

Cartagena’s municipal government says it wants to hire coach owners and coach drivers to operate the new vehicles. It has offered jobs to horse carriage drivers, but has still not spelled out how it could integrate coach owners into the management of the new fleet of electric vehicles.

Turbay has accused the coach owners of “sabotaging” negotiations.

source

Trump administration agrees to review stalled NIH research grants after lawsuit

Trump administration agrees to review stalled NIH research grants after lawsuit 150 150 admin

By Dietrich Knauth

NEW YORK, Dec 29 (Reuters) – The Trump administration on Monday reached a deal with researchers and Democratic-led states who sued over cuts to funding for diversity-related research, agreeing to review grant applications that were stalled or rejected during the legal battle.

A federal judge in Boston previously ruled that the National Institutes of Health unlawfully canceled hundreds of millions of dollars in research grants because of their perceived connection to diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives.

The U.S. Supreme Court in August partially put that decision on hold, ruling that legal battles over the terminated grants should be handled by a different court that specializes in monetary disputes with the government. The Supreme Court left unresolved a second piece of the litigation concerning the NIH’s processing of applications for future funding.

Monday’s agreement resolved part of the battle over the NIH grants, with the government agreeing to conduct new reviews of grant applications that were frozen, denied, or withdrawn after the new policy was announced. The agreement does not require NIH to fund any particular research proposal.

The researchers who sued NIH said Monday that the proposed grants will advance public health issues, including HIV prevention, Alzheimer’s disease, LGBTQ health, and sexual violence.

“This agreement allows my grant application, and many others, to move forward for review after an arbitrary and destructive freeze,” said plaintiff Nikki Maphis, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of New Mexico who is studying Alzheimer’s disease and alcohol use in the aging brain.

This agreement does not impact U.S. District Judge William Young’s earlier ruling in the case blocking the NIH’s policy of ceasing grant funding for diversity-related research. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has appealed that ruling, and has said it stands by its decision to end funding for research “that prioritized ideological agendas over scientific rigor and meaningful outcomes for the American people.”

(Reporting by Dietrich Knauth in New York and Nate Raymond in Boston; Editing by Stephen Coates)

source

Ukraine drone attack damages port, gas pipeline in Tuapse, Russia says

Ukraine drone attack damages port, gas pipeline in Tuapse, Russia says 150 150 admin

Dec 31 (Reuters) – A Ukrainian drone attack damaged port infrastructure and a gas pipeline in a residential area in Russia’s Black Sea port of Tuapse, the regional administration said on Wednesday, adding no injuries were reported.

Emergency crews were dispatched to repair the damage, the operational headquarters of the Krasnodar region said on the Telegram messaging app. The port’s berth had been damaged, it added.

SHOT, a Telegram news channel with sources in Russia’s security services, said a series of explosions was heard over Tuapse late on Tuesday and that residents in one district reported a fire.

Several Ukrainian media, including the RBC-Ukraine media outlet, posted photos on Telegram appearing to show a large fire burning in the distance at night, with a communications mast silhouetted in the foreground.

There was no immediate official comment from Ukraine about the attack. Reuters could not independently verify the report or the extent of the damage.

Tuapse is one of Russia’s key Black Sea outlets for oil products, anchored by Rosneft’s export-oriented Tuapse refinery, which has capacity to process about 240,000 barrels per day and supplies products such as naphtha, fuel oil and diesel.

The port and the refinery have been hit repeatedly by Ukrainian drone attacks during the war that Russia launched nearly four years ago, with past strikes reported to have sparked fires and at times disrupted operations.

(Reporting by Lidia Kelly in Melbourne; Editing by Chris Reese and Lincoln Feast.)

source

10/11: CBS Morning News

10/11: CBS Morning News 150 150 admin

Hurricane Milton leaves trail of destruction in Florida; Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Guardians face off for game five winner will take on New York Yankees.
source

Fed policymakers judged ‘ample’ levels of reserves warranted bill-buying, minutes show

Fed policymakers judged ‘ample’ levels of reserves warranted bill-buying, minutes show 150 150 admin

By Ann Saphir

Dec 30 (Reuters) – The Federal Reserve’s decision earlier this month to start buying short-dated government bonds came after a recommendation from staff to do so and a judgment by policymakers that the level of reserves had fallen to a targeted “ample” range, minutes of the central bank’s December 9-10 meeting showed on Tuesday. 

“Policymakers generally emphasized the importance of communicating that RMPs (reserve management purchases) would be made solely to ensure interest-rate control and smooth market functioning and had no implications for the stance of monetary policy,” the minutes said.

Fed Chair Jerome Powell used nearly the same wording to describe the operations during his post-meeting news conference on December 10, when the Fed cut its policy rate by a quarter of a percentage point. 

The technically oriented purchases were to commence on December 12 with an initial round totaling around $40 billion in Treasury bills, the Fed said at the time.

The move followed a decision at the Fed’s prior policy meeting to stop shrinking its balance sheet amid increasing signs that liquidity had tightened enough to potentially complicate the management of the central bank’s federal funds rate, its main tool to achieve its inflation and employment goals. 

At the December meeting, staff pointed to a range of indications, including tighter conditions in money markets, that reserves had fallen from previously abundant levels to the ample range, the minutes showed. Policymakers agreed, even as “various participants” noted that a more precise definition of ample would be helpful as the Fed tries to implement its ample-reserves rate-control framework amid shifting levels of demand for reserves. 

Some felt that an “ample” definition ought to focus on the level of money market rates compared to the rate paid on reserve balances, the minutes said. A couple worried that a definition that resulted in a larger-than-necessary supply of reserves could lead to excessive risk-taking among investors. The minutes did not reflect any consensus for a precise definition.

Staff told Fed policymakers it would be “prudent” to start reserve purchases soon at a “somewhat elevated pace” until late April when tax payments would put a particular drain on reserves, and then decrease the monthly pace thereafter. 

Policymakers “generally agreed” on the need for flexibility to adjust the size and timing of reserve purchases, the minutes said. 

(Reporting by Ann Saphir; Editing by Andrea Ricci)

source

Mexico to hike tariffs on China starting Thursday

Mexico to hike tariffs on China starting Thursday 150 150 admin

By Diego Oré

MEXICO CITY, Dec 30 (Reuters) – Mexico’s sweeping new tariffs on imports from mostly Asian countries are set to take effect on Thursday, in a move that will largely align Mexico with the U.S. as the neighboring countries place significant barriers on Chinese imports.

Approved by Congress in early December, the measure raises tariffs – most up to 35% – on countries without free trade agreements with Mexico, including China, India, South Korea, Thailand and Indonesia. China is expected to bear the greatest impact.

The hikes will apply to thousands of products, including automobiles, auto parts, textiles, clothing, plastics and steel.

The move has drawn strong opposition from China and some domestic industries concerned about rising costs.

Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum and members of her administration have said the tariffs seek to bolster domestic production and address trade imbalances, and insisted they are not directed at a particular country.     

“This tariff modification primarily aims to safeguard nearly 350,000 jobs in sensitive sectors like footwear, textiles, apparel, steel, and automotives, while contributing to sovereign, sustainable, and inclusive reindustrialization,” Mexico’s economy ministry said in a statement.

The levies will also provide an additional $3.76 billion in government revenue next year as Mexico works to reduce its fiscal deficit.

Many political and trade analysts believe the tariffs, which will primarily affect Chinese goods, are aimed at placating the Trump administration ahead of the upcoming review of the U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade agreement (USMCA). 

(Report by Diego Oré; Edited by Ana Isabel Martínez and Louise Heavens)

source

US government audits cases of Somali US citizens for potential denaturalization

US government audits cases of Somali US citizens for potential denaturalization 150 150 admin

By Kanishka Singh

WASHINGTON, Dec 30 (Reuters) – President Donald Trump’s administration said on Tuesday it was auditing immigration cases involving U.S. citizens of Somali origin to detect fraud that could lead to denaturalization, or revocation of citizenship.

“Under U.S. law, if an individual procures citizenship on a fraudulent basis, that is grounds for denaturalization,” Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said in a statement that was first reported by Fox News and reposted by the White House on social media.Denaturalization cases are rare and can take years. According to the Immigrant Legal Resource Center, about 11 cases were pursued per year between 1990 and 2017.

Since taking office in January, Trump has pursued a hardline immigration policy involving aggressive deportation drive, revocations of visas and green cards, and screening of social media posts and past speeches of immigrants.

Human rights groups widely condemn Trump’s policies, saying they curb rights like due process and free speech. Trump and his allies say the policies aim to improve domestic security.

Federal officials in recent weeks have portrayed Minnesota’s Somali community as a hotspot for fraud involving millions of federal dollars intended for social services. Immigrant-rights advocates say the administration is using the fraud investigations as an excuse to target Somali immigrants more broadly.

FBI Director Kash Patel said on Sunday the bureau has “surged” investigative resources and personnel to Minnesota in the latest instance of the Trump administration’s fraud investigations that have targeted the state’s Somali immigrants.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services separately said on Tuesday it has frozen all child care payments to Minnesota. It said that going forward all payments from the department’s Administration for Children and Families nationwide “will require a justification and a receipt or photo evidence before we send money to a state.”

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Washington; Editing by Caitlin Webber and Michael Perry)

source

Flu cases spiking this holiday season, CDC data shows

Flu cases spiking this holiday season, CDC data shows 150 150 admin

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 32 jurisdictions are showing “high” or “very high” levels of flu.
source

10/24: CBS Morning News

10/24: CBS Morning News 150 150 admin

Trump jabs Harris at rally for taking “time off”; Cardi B hospitalized due to medical emergency.
source

10/22: CBS Morning News

10/22: CBS Morning News 150 150 admin

Harris and Trump make push in battleground states; LeBron James and son Bronny to play together on the same team in historic first for NBA.
source