• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

The world's largest working instrument is an organ in Philadelphia

The world's largest working instrument is an organ in Philadelphia 150 150 admin

The Wanamaker Grand Court Organ in Philadelphia is the world’s largest working instrument, and “CBS Saturday Morning” gets a special look at what keeps it going.
source

Exclusive-Trump appointee inspired by conservative media outlet to push for probe of Democratic congressman

Exclusive-Trump appointee inspired by conservative media outlet to push for probe of Democratic congressman 150 150 admin

By Chris Prentice and Marisa Taylor

NEW YORK/WASHINGTON, Dec 20 (Reuters) – A mortgage fraud probe of a Democratic congressman began last month after William Pulte, the Republican head of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, referred allegations from a conservative news site to his agency’s inspector general for possible criminal investigation, government emails seen by Reuters show.

On November 12, The Gateway Pundit published an article alleging U.S. Representative Eric Swalwell had improperly listed his Washington, D.C., home as his “principal residence” on mortgage paperwork. Swalwell, a critic of President Donald Trump who represents a Northern California district and is now running for governor of California, an office that requires residency in that state, has said he is a permanent resident of California. According to loan documents, however, Swalwell had listed his home in Washington as his “principal residence.”

An email reviewed by Reuters shows Pulte sent a link to the article to the FHFA’s acting inspector general that day, urging him to take all appropriate action “including – if warranted -engagement with the Department of Justice regarding potential mortgage, tax or other fraud related to the representations made in mortgage documents or other items in the below article.”

That same day, Pulte also referred the issue to the Justice Department, said a source familiar with the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The FHFA and Pulte did not respond to requests for comment. Pulte has previously defended the initiative, saying mortgage fraud undermines the U.S. housing market.

Ethics experts have criticized Pulte’s tactics in seeking to target individuals for mortgage misstatements, historically rare prosecutions.

The Gateway Pundit contributor who wrote the article said he is “happy to see more coverage” of the issue. A spokesperson for the Justice Department declined to comment.

Banks generally offer lower interest rates to principal residences when compared to vacation homes or investment properties, allowing owners to save money on mortgage payments.

REFERRAL FITS BROADER PATTERN

The allegation against Swalwell echoes those Pulte has leveled against several prominent Democrats and public officials, including New York Attorney General Letitia James, U.S. Senator Adam Schiff of California and Federal Reserve Board Governor Lisa Cook. All have come under sharp fire from Trump, a Republican, in his fierce campaign against perceived opponents.

“This has been part of the broader pattern of the politicization of the Department of Justice. It’s highly unethical to try to go after political enemies like this,” said Richard Painter, the chief White House ethics lawyer under former Republican President George W. Bush. 

“It’s an abuse of public office and an abuse of public trust.”

A congressional watchdog this month said it will open a probe to examine if Pulte abused his authority as he circumvented the FHFA’s traditional investigative process in what critics say are politically motivated attacks.

The FHFA office of inspector general typically investigates mortgage fraud and refers matters to criminal prosecutors as needed, but Reuters previously reported Pulte has bypassed that office in making such referrals. 

The communications between Pulte and the FHFA OIG were obtained by Democracy Forward, a legal organization with prominent Democrats on its board, and reviewed by Reuters. 

Swalwell in late November pushed back, suing Pulte and the agency for violating his privacy in retrieving his mortgage records and for retaliating against him for exercising his First Amendment rights. 

In the lawsuit, Swalwell has said that he is a permanent resident of California and “disclaimed any intent to occupy the District of Columbia home as his primary residence in a sworn affidavit attached to his mortgage agreement.”

“Trump and his team’s allegations against me are nonsense,” Swalwell told Reuters in a statement. “Pulte’s newly revealed conduct only reinforces why I brought this case. I intend to see it through.”

A federal judge has dismissed a fraud case against New York Attorney General Letitia James that emerged from Pulte’s referral, and two subsequent grand juries have declined to indict her again. James and the other targets of Pulte’s mortgage fraud campaign have denied wrongdoing.

(Reporting by Chris Prentice and Marisa TaylorAdditional reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; editing by Diane Craft)

source

Minnesota jury says Johnson & Johnson owes $65.5 million to woman with cancer who used talcum powder

Minnesota jury says Johnson & Johnson owes $65.5 million to woman with cancer who used talcum powder 150 150 admin

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A Minnesota jury awarded $65.5 million on Friday to a mother of three who claimed talcum products made by Johnson & Johnson exposed her to asbestos and contributed to her developing cancer in the lining of her lungs.

Jurors determined that plaintiff Anna Jean Houghton Carley, 37, should be compensated by Johnson & Johnson after using its baby powder throughout her childhood and later developing mesothelioma, an aggressive cancer caused primarily by exposure to the carcinogen asbestos.

Johnson & Johnson said it would appeal the verdict.

During a 13-day trial in Ramsey County District Court, Carley’s legal team argued the pharmaceutical giant sold and marketed talc-based products to consumers despite knowing it can be contaminated with asbestos. Carley’s lawyers also said her family was never warned about potential dangers while using the product on their child. The product was taken off shelves in the U.S. in 2020.

“This case was not about compensation only. It was about truth and accountability,” Carley’s attorney Ben Braly said.

Erik Haas, worldwide vice president of litigation for Johnson & Johnson, argued the company’s baby powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer. He expects an appellate court to reverse the decision.

The verdict is the latest development in a longstanding legal battle over claims that talc in Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower to Shower body powder was connected to ovarian cancer and mesothelioma, which strikes the lungs and other organs. Johnson & Johnson stopped selling powder made with talc worldwide in 2023.

“These lawsuits are predicated on ‘junk science,’ refuted by decades of studies that demonstrate Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder is safe, does not contain asbestos and does not cause cancer,” Haas said in a statement after the verdict.

Earlier this month, a Los Angeles jury awarded $40 million to two women who claimed Johnson & Johnson’s talcum powder caused their ovarian cancer. And in October, another California jury ordered the company to pay $966 million to the family of a woman who died of mesothelioma, claiming she developed the cancer because the baby powder she used was contaminated with asbestos.

source

China envoy visits Cambodia seeking to de-escalate fighting with Thailand

China envoy visits Cambodia seeking to de-escalate fighting with Thailand 150 150 admin

BANGKOK, Dec 20 (Reuters) – China’s special envoy for Asian affairs visited Phnom Penh this week to push for Cambodia and Thailand to de-escalate their fierce border fighting, Cambodia’s foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Deng Xijun’s visit comes as the U.S. and China renew efforts to bring the two countries to a ceasefire, ahead of a special meeting on Monday of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

Around 60 people have died and more than half a million have been displaced since the two nations resumed hostilities, ending a ceasefire that Donald Trump had brokered in July.

“Deng Xijun reaffirmed that China will continue to play a constructive role in facilitating dialogue between Cambodia and Thailand with a view to promoting the peaceful settlement of disputes,” the ministry said in a statement.

Secretary of State Rubio told reporters on Friday the U.S. was cautiously optimistic that Thailand and Cambodia could be back in compliance with the ceasefire by early next week.   

(Reporting by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by William Mallard)

source

Police can now take down drones at public gatherings, new defense law says

Police can now take down drones at public gatherings, new defense law says 150 150 admin

President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law on Thursday, approving a record $901 billion in military spending for 2026. The NDAA authorizes law enforcement to take down drones at public gatherings, something police and professional sports entities have been requesting ahead of events like Super Bowl LX, the FIFA Men’s World Cup, and the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics.
source

Rob Reiner's friends and colleagues share fond and funny memories

Rob Reiner's friends and colleagues share fond and funny memories 150 150 admin

Authorities seek motive in Brown University and MIT professor shootings

Authorities seek motive in Brown University and MIT professor shootings 150 150 admin

Authorities are seeking motive after the man responsible for the deadly shooting at Brown University and the murder of an MIT professor was found dead in a New Hampshire storage unit on Thursday.
source

Trump administration wants to ensure Mexican crews operating trains in the US can speak English

Trump administration wants to ensure Mexican crews operating trains in the US can speak English 150 150 admin

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — A number of Mexican train crews who had just hauled trains over the border to American rail yards in Texas had trouble understanding important safety information in English during recent focused inspections the Trump administration ordered.

Railroads Union Pacific and CPKC routinely rely on foreign crews at times to bring trains over the border to their rail yards in the U.S. before switching to American engineers and conductors. The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen union said handoffs used to happen right at the border. The engineers union has been worried about using foreign crews for some time because of safety, security and job concerns.

The Federal Railroad Administration sent letters to both railroads urging them to reexamine their practices and make sure that Mexican crews can speak English and don’t operate a train more than 10 miles (16 kilometers) inside America.

Union Pacific and CPKC said the railroads are committed to ensuring safety and security and will work to ensure they are complying with the rules.

The Trump administration has also been cracking down on truck drivers who don’t speak English to make sure crews can communicate in an emergency and understand crucial instructions.

“Whether you’re operating an 80-ton big rig or a massive freight train, you need to be proficient in our national language — English,” Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said. “If you aren’t, you create an unacceptable safety risk.”

The Transportation Department has already withheld $40 million from California for not enforcing the English proficiency requirement, and Duffy has threatened to sanction several other states for incorrectly giving immigrants who are in the country illegally commercial driver’s licenses. That became a key concern after several deadly crashes occurred involving semitrucks driven by immigrants who shouldn’t have had licenses.

FRA Administrator David Fink told both railroads they could face enforcement action if inspectors find additional occurrences of train crews operating in the U.S. without being proficient in English.

Inspectors found problems in Union Pacific’s Eagle Pass rail yard and CPKC’s facility in Laredo.

Union Pacific had a translator on hand to help its Mexican crews, but Fink said the railroad might try to remove that in the future, and inspectors worried about how well the crews understood operating rules and required brake tests.

At CPKC’s rail yard, Fink said inspectors found numerous instances of train crews having a hard time understanding operating bulletins and U.S. regulations that require information about hazardous materials and emergency responses to be maintained in English.

The engineers union and the SMART-TD union that represents conductors praised the Trump administration’s move because they say Mexican crews aren’t as well-trained and need to understand crucial safety information.

Earlier this year, the engineers union also highlighted two arrests of members of Mexican crews on suspicion of smuggling — one for helping migrants cross the border illegally and the other for trying to bring drugs into the United States.

“The administration should be commended for standing up for border security, public safety and American jobs by creating stronger safety standards for crews that bring trains from Mexico to the United States,” BLET National President Mark Wallace said. “It’s critical that locomotive engineers are able to speak to dispatchers and first responders in English when trains are moving on U.S. soil.”

“We have the same goals — a safe, secure border that keeps the supply chain fluid,” Union Pacific spokesperson Kristen South said. “Part of ensuring safe operations is good communication.”

CPKC spokesperson Patrick Waldron said his railroad — which operates one continuous network across Canada, the U.S. and Mexico — makes sure international crews at both borders do not travel more than 10 miles (16 kilometers) into the U.S.

“Safety is foundational to everything we do,” he said.

Union Pacific picks up and hands off trains to its partner, FerroMex railroad, at the border. It said changing out crews at its rail yard 7 miles (11 kilometers) over the border in Eagle Pass helps keep freight moving because previously the switch was done at a single-track bridge, forcing rail traffic to come to a halt. The railroad said it worked with U.S. Customs and Border Patrol to make the change.

source

This professional Santa's dream of spreading holiday cheer fuels stroke recovery

This professional Santa's dream of spreading holiday cheer fuels stroke recovery 150 150 admin

Brent Rasmussen had a massive stroke in 2023. Getting his “ho ho ho back” helped motivate his recovery.
source

Nick Reiner appears in court, arraignment set for Jan. 7 in killing of parents

Nick Reiner appears in court, arraignment set for Jan. 7 in killing of parents 150 150 admin