• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Serbia’s NIS gets US approval to negotiate sale of Russian stake

Serbia’s NIS gets US approval to negotiate sale of Russian stake 150 150 admin

BELGRADE, Dec 24 (Reuters) – The U.S. has granted Serbian oil refiner NIS until March 24 to negotiate the sale of its Russian owner’s stake, Serbia’s state-owned RTS TV reported on Wednesday.

However, RTS said NIS had not obtained an operating licence that would allow it to buy and process crude oil.

The U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control imposed sanctions on NIS in October, as part of broader measures against Russia’s energy sector, after granting a series of waivers since January.

The sanctions have halted crude supplies via Croatia’s JANAF pipeline, shutting down production at the Pancevo refinery.

Russia’s Gazprom has an 11.3% stake in NIS, while its sanctioned oil unit Gazprom Neft holds 44.9%. The Serbian government has 29.9%, with the remainder held by small shareholders and employees.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said on Tuesday that Gazprom was in talks with Hungary’s MOL over a possible sale of its majority stake in NIS.

(Reporting by Ivana SekularacEditing by Mark Potter)

source

North Korea’s Kim Jong Un oversees test-firing of long-range missile, building of nuclear submarine, KCNA says

North Korea’s Kim Jong Un oversees test-firing of long-range missile, building of nuclear submarine, KCNA says 150 150 admin

SEOUL, Dec 25 (Reuters) – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un oversaw test-firing of a long-range surface-to-air missile at a test site near the East Sea on Wednesday, state media KCNA reported on Thursday.

Kim also oversaw construction of an 8,700-ton nuclear-powered submarine at a different site, KCNA said, without identifying the location and the date of his visit to the yard.

(Reporting by Heejin Kim; Editing by Chris Reese)

source

Thieves use stolen SUV to rip ATM out of Texas store in destructive heist

Thieves use stolen SUV to rip ATM out of Texas store in destructive heist 150 150 admin

Thieves hooked an ATM to a stolen SUV and ripped the machine out of a Texas convenience store in a brazen robbery captured on video released Wednesday by the White Settlement Police Department. Police say the ATM later disconnected as the suspects fled and officers recovered it in a culvert. Investigators are searching for the suspects.
source

Ohio governor ‘reluctantly’ signs bill eliminating grace period for late ballots

Ohio governor ‘reluctantly’ signs bill eliminating grace period for late ballots 150 150 admin

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — The number of states that will accept late-arriving mail-in ballots during next year’s critical midterm elections continues to dwindle, as Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine “reluctantly” signed new restrictions into law Friday, citing the uncertainty of pending litigation to ban the counting of such ballots in his state.

President Donald Trump has also moved to eliminate the practice nationally.

DeWine, a term-limited Republican, had warned Ohio’s GOP-led Legislature in 2023 that a sweeping package of election law changes he signed that year would likely be the last voting restrictions he would let past his veto pen. Election integrity in the state, he said, had been amply assured.

But, despite having reservations, DeWine on Friday signed legislation eliminating Ohio’s four-day grace period for absentee ballots and making other voting changes.

“I believe that this four-day grace period is reasonable, and I think for many reasons it makes a lot of sense,” he told reporters. “Therefore, I normally would veto a repeal of this four-day grace period. And, frankly, that’s what I wish I could do.”

DeWine, though, said he his hand was forced, given the uncertain outcome of a Mississippi case that the U.S. Supreme Court is expected to decide next summer. Justices have taken up the state’s appeal after a panel of three judges nominated by Trump on the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in 2024 that its law allowing ballots that arrive shortly after Election Day to be counted violated federal law.

“No one knows how the Supreme Court will rule,” DeWine said. “However, if the court in late June upholds the 5th Circuit case and Ohio’s grace period for counting late ballots is still in effect, the election situation in Ohio would be chaotic.”

Such a ruling would create one set of rules for state candidates and a different set of rules for federal candidates, the governor said. Ohio lawmakers would lack time to square the two in time for November ballots to be prepared, causing confusion for voters.

With his signature, the number of states accepting mailed ballots received after Election Day as long as the ballots are postmarked on or before that date has fallen to 14, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Many states, including Ohio, continue to make exceptions for late-arriving ballots for certain eligible voters, such as overseas residents and U.S. service members and their families.

Democrats and voter advocacy groups in Ohio had urged DeWine to follow through on his earlier veto threat. They said the grace period bill also increases the number of sanctioned voter registration cancellations and forces more people to use provisional ballots.

“The bill puts thousands of voters at risk of having their ballots not counted simply because of mail issues, and it could cancel registrations for many, including women who might have changed their last names or newly naturalized citizens,” Democratic state Rep. Christine Cockley said in a statement. “Our efforts should be on making it easier for people to participate in our democracy, not harder.”

Republicans continue to amend Ohio’s election law despite post-election audits that show the state’s results are routinely tallied to near perfection, including after the 2020 election whose results Trump continues to dispute.

The Election Transparency Initiative, a conservative election reform partnership, thanked DeWine for signing the bill.

“By passing SB 293, Ohio lawmakers stood with the majority of states nationwide in affirming that Election Day should be treated as Election Day — a commonsense standard that strengthens trust in our elections,” Ken Cuccinelli, the group’s national chairman, said in a statement.

source

South Korean court rejects bid to block Korea Zinc share sale funding US smelter

South Korean court rejects bid to block Korea Zinc share sale funding US smelter 150 150 admin

By Hyunjoo Jin, Heejin Kim and Heekyong Yang

SEOUL , Dec 24 (Reuters) – A South Korean court on Wednesday rejected a request by two major shareholders of Korea Zinc – MBK Partners and YoungPoong – to block the zinc refiner’s plan to issue new shares to help fund a $7.4 billion U.S. smelter.

The ruling, which clears the way for the project, sent Korea Zinc shares up as much as 5%, while YoungPoong shares fell as much as 10.5%.

Last week, Korea Zinc, the world’s biggest refined zinc producer, said it would build a $7.4 billion critical minerals refinery in the state of Tennessee that will be largely funded by the U.S. government and aimed at reducing U.S. reliance on China for materials used in chips, electronics and weapons.

Under the plan, Korea Zinc will sell shares worth $1.9 billion to a joint venture controlled by the U.S. government and unnamed U.S.-based strategic investors, which would then control around 10% of the South Korean firm.

In a statement, Korea Zinc thanked the court for its decision, adding that it would proceed with its U.S. smelter project and work to enhance corporate and shareholder value.

“We will also seek to contribute to the national economy and South Korea’s economic security as a key player in the critical minerals supply chain,” it said.

SHARE DILUTION CONCERNS

Private equity firm MBK Partners and conglomerate YoungPoong, which together hold about 46% of Korea Zinc, said that they were disappointed by the court’s decision, reiterating concerns over potential shareholder dilution and the fairness of investment terms.

“Despite this outcome, YoungPoong and MBK Partners intend to support the U.S. smelter project so that it may deliver genuine ‘win-win’ results for the United States, Korea Zinc, and the broader Korean economy,” the pair said in a statement.

In a regulatory filing, Korea Zinc said the Seoul Central Court determined that the transaction was intended to support a U.S.-led restructuring of the global critical minerals supply chain, deepen cooperation between South Korea and the U.S. and secure stable global demand.

The filing noted that the U.S. government sought to take an equity stake through the joint venture to ensure the project’s success, concluding that direct investment or subsidies alone would not be sufficient.

Governance experts say a major beneficiary of the U.S. smelter deal would be Korea Zinc Chairman Yun B. Choi, who since October last year has been locked in a battle for control with MBK and YoungPoong. Issuing shares to a potential ally could tip the balance of power in Choi’s favour.

Korea Zinc has said the U.S. smelter project aligns Washington’s push to diversify mineral supply chains with the company’s goal of building a growth base by gaining an early foothold in the United States, the world’s largest critical minerals market.

Shares of Korea Zinc and YoungPoong were trading down 2.7% and 10.4%, respectively, compared with a 0.2% drop in the benchmark KOSPI as of 0529 GMT.

(Reporting by Hyunjoo Jin, Heejin Kim and Heekyong Yang; Editing by Ed Davies)

source

Body of missing 9-year-old California girl Melodee Buzzard found, mother arrested

Body of missing 9-year-old California girl Melodee Buzzard found, mother arrested 150 150 admin

Authorities said Melodee Buzzard’s body was found in a rural area outside of Cainville, Utah, and her mother was arrested Tuesday morning.
source

Supreme Court blocks Trump administration from deploying National Guard in Illinois

Supreme Court blocks Trump administration from deploying National Guard in Illinois 150 150 admin

The Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that President Trump cannot deploy the National Guard troops to Chicago as a legal challenge moves ahead. CBS News immigration and politics reporter Camilo Montoya-Galvez has the latest.
source

Asian markets are mixed after the S&P 500 hits record high, buoyed by strong US economic data

Asian markets are mixed after the S&P 500 hits record high, buoyed by strong US economic data 150 150 admin

HONG KONG (AP) — Asian markets were mixed on Wednesday after the benchmark S&P 500 closed at another record high following a report that the U.S. economy grew at an unexpectedly strong 4.3% annual rate in July to September.

The U.S. government’s first estimate of growth for the third quarter showed inflation remained high, while a separate report said consumer confidence faded further in December. The U.S. economy expanded at a 3.8% annual pace in April-June.

Trading in Asia was thin, with many global markets due to be closed Thursday for Christmas. Markets in the U.S. will end early Wednesday for Christmas Eve and stay closed for Christmas.

Tokyo’s Nikkei 225 fell 0.1% to 50,344.10 and South Korea’s Kospi slipped 0.2% to 4,108.62.

In Chinese markets, Hong Kong’s Hang Seng gained 0.2% to 25,818.93. The Shanghai Composite index edged 0.5% higher, to 3,940.95.

In Australia, the S&P/ASX 200 slipped nearly 0.4% to 8,762.70.

Markets in Hong Kong and Australia closed early due to Christmas Eve.

Taiwan’s Taiex picked up 0.2% while the Sensex in India gained less than 0.1%.

Gold and silver extended their rally after hitting record highs this week driven by heightened geopolitical tensions. The price of gold rose 0.3% early Wednesday to $4,525.20 per ounce, adding to gains of about 70% for the year. Silver rose 1.6%.

U.S. futures edged lower early Wednesday.

On Tuesday, big gains for tech stocks pushed the S&P 500 up 0.5%, even though most stocks in the index fell. It closed at 6,909.79. The Dow Jones Industrial Average added 0.2% to 48,442.41, while the Nasdaq composite rose 0.6% to 23,561.84.

Nvidia advanced 3% and Google’s parent company, Alphabet, edged up 1.5%.

Novo Nordisk jumped 7.3%, after U.S. regulators approved a pill version of the weight-loss drug Wegovy, the first daily oral medication to treat obesity.

The government’s update on the economy showed inflation hovering higher than the central bank prefers. The Federal Reserve’s favored inflation gauge — called the personal consumption expenditures index, or PCE — climbed to a 2.8% annual pace last quarter, up from 2.1% in the second quarter.

On Wednesday, the Labor Department will release its weekly data on applications for jobless benefits, which stands as a proxy for U.S. layoffs.

Investors are betting the Fed will hold steady on interest rates at its January meeting. Recent reports show high inflation and shaky confidence among consumers worried about high prices. The labor market has been slowing and retail sales have weakened.

In other dealings early Wednesday, the dollar continued to fall against the Japanese yen, after officials said they could intervene with excessive moves in the yen. The dollar was trading Wednesday at 155.96 yen, down from 156.17 yen.

The euro slipped to $1.1797 from $1.1796.

Oil prices edged higher as traders kept an eye on risks of supply disruptions in Venezuela and Russia.

U.S. benchmark crude oil added 20 cents to $58.58 per barrel. Brent crude gained 17 cents to $62.03 per barrel.

source

Coup leader expected to stay in power in Guinea presidential vote

Coup leader expected to stay in power in Guinea presidential vote 150 150 admin

Dec 24 (Reuters) – Guinea coup leader Mamady Doumbouya is expected to coast to victory in a presidential election on Sunday, buoyed by the launch of a long-awaited iron ore mega-mine and weak competition from a fragmented field of challengers.

Four years ago, Doumbouya, then a special forces commander, ousted President Alpha Conde in one of nine coups that have roiled West and Central Africa since 2020.

He initially vowed not to run for office, but a new constitution approved in September removed language that would have barred him and extended the presidential term from five to seven years.

Conde and longtime opposition leader Cellou Dalein Diallo are in exile and other potential challengers were disqualified for failing to submit required documents. That leaves eight challengers who are unlikely to give Doumbouya much trouble.

“Let’s not kid ourselves: there can be no other opponent who can challenge him,” said Guinean political analyst Bella Bah. “But that’s not the most important thing. (After the election) the president needs to take a step back and realise that he now has to exercise power,” Bah added, urging Doumbouya to engage in dialogue with actors beyond the military.

Political debate has been limited under Doumbouya, and civil society groups accuse his government of banning protests, curbing press freedom and restricting opposition activity.

MINING MILESTONE

Guinea holds the world’s largest reserves of bauxite and the richest untapped iron ore deposit at Simandou, which was officially launched last month.

Production at Simandou, originally scheduled for 1997, had been long delayed. Doumbouya’s junta ordered development to be paused in 2022, saying it wanted to review how national interests would be safeguarded once it came online.

Simandou is central to Doumbouya’s vision for Guinea: the country’s national development strategy is called Simandou 2040.

Annual production at the 75% Chinese-owned project is expected to peak at some 120 million metric tons, and supporters say Doumbouya will ensure Guinea gets its share of the proceeds.

“Dear Guineans, Guinea is no longer for sale,” government spokesperson Ousmane Gaoual Diallo declared at a campaign event this month. “Guinea is no longer up for grabs, Guinea is standing tall.”

Doumbouya’s transitional government also revoked EGA subsidiary Guinea Alumina Corporation’s license after a refinery dispute, transferring its assets to a state-owned firm.

The turn towards resource nationalism – also seen in other countries in the region with military rulers, including Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger – has bolstered Doumbouya’s popularity.

“The way politics was done before and now is different. We no longer have violent campaigns, but there is enthusiasm,” said Conakry resident Mohamed Keita, 65.

“People are out in the field, everyone expresses their opinions without violence.”

WARMING REGIONAL TIES

The campaign has unfolded peacefully, though Doumbouya’s tight grip means it is hardly a level playing field, said Gilles Yabi, founder of West African think tank WATHI.

“This is obviously a context that doesn’t allow for any hope of a free and fair presidential election,” Yabi said.

“The mere fact of holding a presidential election will not change the reality of power, which will remain primarily in the hands of the military.”

Despite such concerns, the West African regional bloc ECOWAS is sending observers, a sign of “growing rapprochement” even though Guinea has been formally suspended since the 2021 coup, consultancy Signal Risk said in a note.

About 6.7 million people are registered to vote, with provisional results expected within 48 hours of polls closing.

(Reporting by Guinea newsroom; Additional reporting by Portia Crowe; Writing by Robbie Corey-Boulet; Editing by Ros Russell)

source

Extended interview: Sean Ono Lennon

Extended interview: Sean Ono Lennon 150 150 admin