Orleans Parish District Attorney Jason Williams tells CBS News the threat is not over and the investigation is active and fluid into Wednesday morning’s truck attack on New Orleans’ Bourbon Street.
source
PODGORICA, Montenegro (AP) — At least 10 people, including two children, were killed and four others were seriously wounded on Wednesday in a shooting rampage that followed a bar brawl in a western Montenegrin city, officials said. The shooter was on the run.
Police identified the attacker as 45-year-old Aco Martinovic. He killed the owner of the bar in the city of Cetinje, the bar owner’s children and his own family members, Interior Minister Danilo Saranovic said at a news conference.
“At this moment, we are focused on arresting him,” Saranovic told reporters.
Police dispatched special troops to search for the attacker in Cetinje, located some 30 kilometers (18 miles) northwest of the capital, Podgorica. All the roads in and out of the city have been blocked as police swarmed the streets.
Saranovic described the suspect as dangerous and appealed on the residents to stay indoors.
“The level of rage and brutality shows that sometimes such people … are even more dangerous than members of organized criminal gangs,” Saranovic said.
Martinovic was at the bar throughout the day with other guests when the brawl erupted, said Police Commissioner Lazar Scepanovic. He said that Martinovic then went home, brough back a weapon and opened fire at around 5:30 p.m.
“He killed four people” at the bar, before heading out and then continued shooting at three more locations, said Scepanovic. “He tried to take the lives of four more people, and then fled with the vehicle he was using, which we have found.”
He said that the suspect received a suspended sentence in 2005 for violent behavior and has appealed his latest conviction for illegal possession of weapons. Montenegrin media have reported he was known for erratic and violent behavior.
Small Montenegro, which has some 620,000 people, is known for its gun culture and many people traditionally have weapons.
Wednesday’s shooting was the second shooting rampage over the past three years in Cetinje, Montenegro’s historic capital. An attacker also killed 10 people, including two children, in August 2022 before he was shot and killed by a passerby in Cetinje.
President Jakov Milatovic said he was “shocked and stunned” by the tragedy. “Instead of holiday joy … we have been gripped by sadness over the loss of innocent lives,” Milatovic said on the social media platform X.
Prime Minister Milojko Spajic went to the hospital where the wounded were being treated and announced three days of mourning. He said “all police teams” were out searching for the suspect.
“This is a terrible tragedy that has affected us all,” Spajic said.
By Jihoon Lee
SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea’s factory activity contracted in December, with manufacturers’ sentiment turning pessimistic for the first time since mid-2020 due to uncertainty over U.S. trade policy and domestic politics, a private sector survey showed on Thursday.
The purchasing managers index (PMI) for manufacturers in Asia’s fourth-largest economy, compiled by S&P Global, fell to 49.0 last month from 50.6 in November, slipping below the 50-mark that separates expansion from contraction for the third time since August.
Output shrank for the fourth consecutive month in a row and the decline was steeper than the previous month, while new orders also fell, sub-indexes showed.
The deterioration in demand was linked to weaker client confidence in the domestic market, according to the survey, while export orders grew only marginally.
The gloom was reflected in manufacturers’ sentiment for the year ahead, which fell below the 50-threshold separating optimism and pessimism for the first time since July 2020 and marked the lowest in 4-1/2 years. Excluding the COVID-19 pandemic period, it was the worst since the data series began in April 2012.
Last month, South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol was impeached after his imposition of a short-lived martial law on Dec. 3, raising political uncertainty and dampening consumer as well as business confidence.
“Downbeat expectations often stemmed from concerns surrounding domestic economic conditions, as well as potential U.S. protectionist policies,” said Usamah Bhatti, economist at S&P Global Market Intelligence.
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump last year pledged big tariffs on the United States’ three largest trading partners – Canada, Mexico and China – which are also expected to affect South Korean firms running factories in the countries.
In the latest survey, firms noted that overseas demand weakness in China and the United States was offset improvements in Europe and some of the Asia-Pacific region.
The trade-reliant South Korean economy barely grew in the third quarter amid slowing exports. The country’s export growth is expected to slow to 1.5% in 2025, from 6.3% in 2024, according to the central bank.
(Reporting by Jihoon Lee; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)
New Orleans City Council Member Eugene Green spoke with CBS News’ Kati Weis about the traffic bollards that were being upgraded when a driver plowed through a group on Bourbon Street early on New Year’s Day.
source
The death toll from Wednesday’s truck attack in New Orleans has risen to 15 as investigators learn more about the driver who plowed into a Bourbon Street crowd. Officials believe the driver was not solely responsible. CBS News producer Elizabeth Campbell has more on the police presence at an Airbnb the driver had rented.
source
BEIRUT (AP) — Saudi Arabia said on Wednesday that the kingdom executed six Iranian men for drug smuggling, sparking strong objections from Iran at a time when the two countries are trying to mend relations.
The Saudi Interior Ministry said the six men had been caught smuggling hashish into the kingdom and were executed after an appeal was rejected by the country’s Supreme Court. It did not say when this happened.
The punishment was in line with Islamic law and aimed at protecting citizens and residents “from the scourge of drugs,” the ministry said.
In Tehran, the Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the Saudi ambassador in protest, the official IRNA news agency said. Iran would send a delegation to Riyadh to discuss the case, the report added.
IRNA quoted ministry official Mojtaba Shasti Karimi as saying the executions contradicted the general trend of judicial cooperation. He said the Saudi action, without informing Iran ahead of time, was “not acceptable under any circumstance.”
The Middle East rivals reestablished diplomatic relations in early 2023, after seven years of tensions.
President Biden spoke Wednesday night about the deadly truck attack on New Orleans’ Bourbon Street early on New Year’s Day. Major Garrett anchored CBS News’ special report.
source
With just a few weeks left in office, President Biden huddled with his homeland security team after the deadly attack in New Orleans that killed at least 15 people. CBS News’ Scott MacFarlane reports.
source
