• 850-433-1141 | info@wpnnradio.com | Text line: 850-790-5300

Yearly Archives :

2025

Myanmar junta to free 5,864 prisoners under amnesty

Myanmar junta to free 5,864 prisoners under amnesty 150 150 admin

(Reuters) -Myanmar’s military government will release 5,864 prisoners, including 180 foreigners, under an amnesty marking the Southeast Asian nation’s independence day, state media said on Saturday.

Myanmar has been in turmoil since early 2021, when the military overthrew an elected civilian government and violently suppressed pro-democracy protests, sparking a nationwide armed rebellion.

The junta has said it will hold elections this year, but the plan has been widely condemned by opposition groups as a sham.

Among those still imprisoned by the junta is the country’s former leader, Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.

The 79-year-old is serving a 27-year sentence tied to 14 criminal charges ranging from incitement and election fraud to corruption. She denies all the charges, according to her lawyers.

(Reporting by Reuters staff; Editing by Clarence Fernandez and William Mallard)

source

Powerful winter storm to bring snowy, icy conditions to Midwest, Mid-Atlantic

Powerful winter storm to bring snowy, icy conditions to Midwest, Mid-Atlantic 150 150 admin

Starting Saturday, millions of people are going to be hit by moderate to heavy snow from Kansas City to Washington, forecasters say.
source

WWE ready to begin Netflix era with ‘Monday Night Raw’ moving to the streaming platform

WWE ready to begin Netflix era with ‘Monday Night Raw’ moving to the streaming platform 150 150 admin

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Nick Khan’s prediction becomes a reality on Monday night.

The World Wrestling Entertainment executive said during earning calls in the past that he saw a day when Netflix would continue to evolve and enter into live programming, much to the consternation of Netflix officials.

However, Khan saw the hires that Netflix was making along with the streaming service’s offerings that could appeal to all family members.

Now, one of those offerings is the WWE.

The 1,650th episode of “Monday Night Raw” from the Intuit Dome outside of Los Angeles officially kicks off WWE’s 10-year partnership with Netflix. The agreement, reached last January, is worth in excess of $5 billion with an option for Netflix to extend for an additional 10 years or opt out after five.

“We try to appeal the WWE to all 50 states and to countries globally. We think Netflix does the same thing,” said Khan, who is WWE’s president.

Netflix — which has 282.3 million subscribers in more than 190 countries — becomes the exclusive home of “Raw” in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom and Latin America, with additional countries to be added over time. The bigger component for Netflix though, is that the streaming platform will carry all of the company’s shows overseas — including “Smackdown” and “NXT” — as well as premium live events like WrestleMania, SummerSlam and Royal Rumble.

In the U.S., “Smackdown” moved to USA Network from Fox and “NXT” from USA to the CW three months ago. Peacock has a contract to carry WWE’s premium live events through March 2026.

“Raw” began airing on Jan. 11, 1993, and is the longest running weekly episodic series on television. Most of that time had been on USA Network with a run on Spike TV, now known as Paramount Network.

“It has great storytelling, characters along with memorable and surprising stories. And the idea of combining this kind of intense fandom with these characters and our reach globally just seemed like such a great opportunity,” said Bela Bajaria, Netflix’s chief content officer. “What we also love is the multigenerational fan base. At the end of the day, we have great things that our members love and this totally delivers on all of the things that we want. And to do it 52 weeks a year is super exciting.”

WWE’s global reach has expanded during the past year, with nearly half of its premium live events taking place overseas. The company will also embark on an extended tour of Europe in March to build momentum for WrestleMania 41, which takes place in Las Vegas April 19 and 20.

Khan said WWE first approached Netflix about its rights in 2018, but Netflix wasn’t ready to begin carrying live events. The streaming service has ramped up its efforts during the past year, not only with sports events, but with Chris Rock’s comedy special and the roast of Tom Brady.

Brandon Riegg, Netflix’s vice president of nonfiction series and sports, said the social media buzz around “Raw” each week as well as the stable audience WWE provides made it a natural fit this time when the company approached Netflix last year.

In turn, Riegg thinks Netflix can help expand WWE’s audience the way it did with Formula 1 and the “Drive to Survive” series.

“It really was just fitting in to the whole picture of we’re going to do these big events like the Tyson-Paul fight and the NFL on Christmas,” he said. “But then throughout the year, if we can have a steady drumbeat of those amazing live moments and live action and spectacle, that’s what we’re going to get with WWE.”

According to Nielsen, “Raw’s” final episode on USA Network averaged 1.6 million viewers despite going against the “Monday Night Football” matchup between the Detroit Lions and San Francisco 49ers.

Khan and WWE chief content officer Paul “Triple H” Levesque have also stressed that the three-hour weekly show will not hurt its rating due to being on a streaming platform. “Raw” was known for toeing the line on risky content during the late 1990s in what WWE called the “Attitude Era,” but that has changed over the years.

“It’s not pushing anybody away of what they want. It’s a safe place for families and everybody to be able to view. That will not change, but you don’t have to change that to expand and improve what you do,” Levesque said.

WWE’s storytelling and character development continues to excel even during external challenges. Former chairman Vince McMahon resigned last January after a lawsuit claiming sexual misconduct. In 2023, WWE was bought by Endeavor and merged with Ultimate Fighting Championship to create TKO Group Holdings.

According to WWE, there were 44 sellouts for TV shows and 66 overall, including house shows and premium live events, in 2024.

WWE champion Cody Rhodes credited Khan and Levesque for keeping the company on track, along with scaling back on some of the non-televised live events to make sure top talent does not get burned out during the year.

Levesque said Monday’s show will be on the level of a premium live event. John Cena, who is retiring from WWE at the end of the year, begins his farewell tour with three main event matches on tap. It also wouldn’t be a shock if Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson makes an appearance.

Roman Reigns, who will take part in one of the main event matches, said he is always trying to put his best foot forward, but he also knows how big Monday night is for the company.

“There’s no hiding that this is Netflix and this is huge and this is going to be on a global platform with a lot of people watching. I’m not sure exactly what that audience is going to look like. It’s going to be crazy, I know that.”

___

AP sports writer Dan Gelston in Philadelphia contributed to this story.

___

AP sports: https://apnews.com/sports

source

Emmy winner Kit Connor talks starring in Broadway's "Romeo and Juliet"

Emmy winner Kit Connor talks starring in Broadway's "Romeo and Juliet" 150 150 admin

Judge sets Trump’s sentencing in New York case for Jan. 10, but signals no jail time

Judge sets Trump’s sentencing in New York case for Jan. 10, but signals no jail time 150 150 admin

NEW YORK (AP) — In an extraordinary turn, a judge Friday set President-elect Donald Trump’s sentencing in his hush money case for Jan. 10 — little over a week before he’s due to return to the White House — but promised not to jail him.

Judge Juan M. Merchan, who presided over Trump’s trial, signaled in a written decision that he’d sentence the former and future president to what’s known as a conditional discharge, in which a case gets dismissed if a defendant avoids rearrest.

The development marks yet another twist in the singular case.

Trump was convicted in May of 34 counts of falsifying business records. They involved an alleged scheme to hide a hush money payment to Stormy Daniels in the last weeks of Trump’s first campaign in 2016. The payout was made to keep her from publicizing claims she’d had sex with the married Trump years earlier. He says that her story is false and that he did nothing wrong.

After Trump’s Nov. 5 election, Merchan halted proceedings and indefinitely postponed the sentencing so the defense and prosecution could weigh in on the future of the case.

Trump’s lawyers urged Merchan to toss it. They said it would otherwise pose unconstitutional “disruptions” to the incoming president’s ability to run the country.

Prosecutors acknowledged there should be some accommodation for his upcoming presidency, but they insisted the conviction should stand.

They suggested various options, such as freezing the case during his term or guaranteeing him a no-jail sentence. They also proposed closing the case while formally noting both his conviction and his undecided appeal — a novel idea drawn from what some state courts do when criminal defendants die while appealing their cases.

Trump takes office Jan. 20.

source

Breaking down judge's order for Trump to face sentencing in "hush money" case

Breaking down judge's order for Trump to face sentencing in "hush money" case 150 150 admin

The judge overseeing President-elect Donald Trump’s Manhattan criminal “hush money case” has ordered the president-elect to face sentencing on Jan. 10. CBS News political reporter and attorney Katrina Kaufman has the details. Then, CBS News legal contributor Jessica Levinson joins with analysis.
source

Major airlines offer storm waivers to passengers ahead of winter storm

Major airlines offer storm waivers to passengers ahead of winter storm 150 150 admin

American, JetBlue, Southwest and United are offering passengers waivers to reschedule flights ahead of Winter Storm Blair.
source

Goldman Sachs names Alex Golten as chief risk officer

Goldman Sachs names Alex Golten as chief risk officer 150 150 admin

(Reuters) – U.S. bank Goldman Sachs on Friday named Alex Golten as its new chief risk officer.

(Reporting by Prakhar Srivastava in Bengaluru; Editing by Mohammed Safi Shamsi)

source

At UN, Israel defends Gaza hospital raid, UN rights chief says its explanation is vague

At UN, Israel defends Gaza hospital raid, UN rights chief says its explanation is vague 150 150 admin

By Michelle Nichols

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Israel on Friday defended its raid on a north Gaza hospital last week while the U.N. human rights chief called the justification unsubstantiated and the World Health Organization urged Israel to release the hospital’s director from detention.

Israel’s U.N. ambassador in Geneva, Daniel Meron, posted on social media a letter he sent on Friday to the WHO and Volker Turk, the U.N. human rights official. It said the raid on Kamal Adwan Hospital a week ago was “triggered by irrefutable evidence” that Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad militants were using the hospital.

He said Israeli forces had taken “extraordinary measures to protect civilian life while acting on credible intelligence.”

Turk told the U.N. Security Council on Friday that Israel did not “substantiate many of these claims, which are often vague and broad. In some cases, they appear to be contradicted by publicly available information.”

“I am calling for independent, thorough and transparent investigations into all Israeli attacks on hospitals, healthcare infrastructure and medical personnel, as well as the alleged misuse of such facilities,” he told the 15-member body.

Israel’s Deputy U.N. Ambassador Jonathan Miller said more than “240 terrorists were apprehended, including 15 who participated in the Oct. 7 massacre” in southern Israel in 2023, which triggered the war in the Gaza Strip. The hospital’s director, Hussam Abu Safiya, was also detained in the raid.

“We suspect him of being a Hamas operative as hundreds of Hamas and Islamic Jihad terrorists were hiding inside the Kamal Adwan Hospital under his management. He is currently being investigated by Israeli security forces,” Miller said.

The WHO is deeply concerned about Abu Safiya, said WHO representative Richard Peeperkorn, adding: “We have lost contact with him since and call for his immediate release.”

The United States is gathering information about Abu Safiya, Deputy U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. Dorothy Shea told the Security Council.

Palestinian U.N. envoy Riyad Mansour broke down in tears as he recalled words that a doctor from Médecins sans Frontières, Mahmoud Abu Nujaila, wrote at Gaza’s Al Awda Hospital before he was killed in a strike in November 2023.

Mansour said that Nujaila had written on a hospital whiteboard used for planning surgeries: “Whoever stays until the end, will tell the story. We did what we could. Remember us.”

(Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

source

Trump must be sentenced in hush money case, judge signals no jail

Trump must be sentenced in hush money case, judge signals no jail 150 150 admin

By Luc Cohen

NEW YORK (Reuters) -President-elect Donald Trump will be sentenced on Jan. 10 in the criminal case in which he was convicted on charges involving hush money paid to a porn star, but is unlikely to face jail time or other penalties, a judge said on Friday.

Justice Juan Merchan’s ruling means Trump will be required to appear at a court hearing just 10 days before his Jan. 20 inauguration – an unprecedented scenario in U.S. history. Before Trump, no U.S. president – former or sitting – had been charged with or convicted of a crime.

The judge said Trump, 78, may appear at his sentencing either in person or virtually.

He wrote that he was not inclined to sentence Trump to jail, and that a sentence of “unconditional discharge” – meaning no custody, monetary fine, or probation – would be “the most viable solution.”

The imposition of the sentence would pave the way for Trump to appeal. Merchan acknowledged in his ruling that Trump has made clear he intends to appeal.

In a statement, Trump spokesperson Steven Cheung said there should be no sentencing in the case.

“This lawless case should have never been brought, and the Constitution demands that it be immediately dismissed,” Cheung said.

Merchan announced his plan for the sentencing in denying Trump’s motion to dismiss the case due to his presidential election victory. Trump’s defense lawyers had argued that having the case hang over him during his presidency would impede his ability to govern.

Merchan rejected that argument, writing that setting aside the jury’s verdict would “undermine the Rule of Law in immeasurable ways.”

“Defendant’s status as President-elect does not require the drastic and ‘rare’ application of (the court’s) authority to grant the (dismissal) motion,” Merchan wrote in the decision.

Merchan also rejected Trump’s argument in a Dec. 3 court filing that dismissal was warranted because his “civic and financial contributions to this city and the Nation are too numerous to count.”

While acknowledging Trump’s service as president, the judge said Trump’s public statements excoriating the justice system were also a factor for him in determining how Trump’s character would factor into the decision.

Merchan criticized what he called Trump’s “unrelenting and unsubstantiated attacks” against the integrity of the criminal proceeding, and noted that he had found him guilty of 10 counts of contempt during the trial for repeatedly violating an order restricting out-of-court statements about witnesses and others.

“Defendant has gone to great lengths to broadcast on social media and other forums his lack of respect for judges, juries, grand juries and the justice system as a whole,” Merchan wrote.

“Defendant’s character and history vis-a-vis the Rule of Law and the Third Branch of government must be analyzed,” the judge said, referring to the judiciary. “In that vein, it does not weigh in his favor.”

‘EXTREME REMEDY’

The case stemmed from a $130,000 payment that Trump’s former lawyer Michael Cohen made to adult film actor Stormy Daniels. The payment was for her silence before the 2016 election about a sexual encounter she has said she had a decade earlier with Trump, who denies it.

A Manhattan jury in May found Trump guilty of 34 counts of falsifying business records to cover up the payment. He had pleaded not guilty and called the case an attempt by Manhattan District Attorney Bragg, the Democratic prosecutor who brought the charges, to harm his 2024 campaign.

Trump’s sentencing was initially scheduled for July 11, 2024, but has been pushed back several times. On Thursday, Merchan said Trump’s request in August that the sentencing be pushed back until after the election implied that he consented to being sentenced during the transition period.

“Any claim Defendant may have that circumstances have changed as a result of Defendant’s victory in the Presidential election, while convenient, is disingenuous,” Merchan wrote.

Bragg did not oppose delaying the sentencing until after the election. Merchan in September pushed it back to Nov. 26.

After Trump defeated Democratic Vice President Kamala Harris in the Nov. 5 election, the judge delayed the sentencing indefinitely to figure out next steps.

Bragg’s office had argued there were measures short of the “extreme remedy” of overturning the jury’s verdict that could assuage Trump’s concerns about being distracted by a criminal case while serving as president, such as delaying the sentence until after Trump leaves the White House in 2029.

Merchan wrote on Thursday he found that alternative “less desirable” than sentencing Trump before the inauguration.

PRESIDENTIAL IMMUNITY

Trump on Dec. 16 lost a separate bid to toss the hush money conviction in light of the U.S. Supreme Court’s July 1 decision that presidents cannot be criminally prosecuted over their official actions, and that evidence of their official actions cannot be presented in criminal cases over personal conduct.

In denying Trump’s motion to dismiss, Merchan said the prosecution over “decidedly personal acts of falsifying business records poses no danger of intrusion on the authority and function of the executive branch.”

Falsifying business records is punishable by up to four years in prison, but incarceration is not required. Before his election victory, legal experts said it was unlikely Trump would be locked up due to his lack of a criminal history and advanced age.

Trump was charged in three other state and federal criminal cases in 2023: one involving classified documents he kept after leaving office and two others involving his efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss.

He pleaded not guilty in all three cases. The Justice Department moved to dismiss the two federal cases after Trump’s election victory.

Trump’s state criminal case in Georgia over charges stemming from his effort to overturn his 2020 election loss in that state is in limbo.

(Reporting by Luc Cohen in New York; Editing by Noeleen Walder and Daniel Wallis)

source