After the six-day state funeral, former President Jimmy Carter will be buried next to his wife, former first lady Rosalynn Carter, in Plains, Georgia. Rosalynn Carter died in November 2023. CBS News’ Jericka Duncan, Robert Costa and Mark Strassmann have more on the couple’s love story.
source
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — Venezuelan opposition leader Edmundo González, who the United States recognized as the winner of last year’s presidential election, kicked off an international tour on Saturday that will take him to Washington just days before President Nicolás Maduro is set to be sworn in for a third term in defiance of international pressure.
A crowd of a few hundred Venezuelan migrants broke into shouts of “Edmundo, Presidente” as González emerged from a meeting with Argentine President Javier Milei to wave to supporters from the balcony of the iconic Casa Rosada, or Pink House, in Buenos Aires.
“We are doing whatever the cause of freedom requires,” Milei, an effusive far-right supporter of the Venezuelan opposition, said as he welcomed González to the presidential palace with honors normally reserved for a head of state.
González, a retired diplomat, fled into exile in Spain in September after a judge issued an arrest warrant following the July 28 presidential election, in which Maduro was declared the winner by the National Electoral Council, which is stacked with governing party loyalists.
In recent weeks, he has been vowing to travel to Venezuela to be sworn in for the presidential term, which according to law must begin on Jan. 10. But he hasn’t said how he plans to return or wrest power from Maduro, whose party controls all institutions and the military.
“By whatever means necessary, I’m going to be there” on Jan. 10, González said.
On Thursday, Maduro’s government raised the stakes even further, announcing a $100,000 reward for information on González’s whereabouts and plastering the wanted-like bulletin with the retired diplomat’s photo on social media and the arrivals board at the country’s main airport.
González at a press conference said that he would travel Saturday night to the U.S., where he hopes to speak with President Joe Biden, following a brief stop in Uruguay for a meeting with President Luis Lacalle Pou. He also plans to visit Panama and the Dominican Republic as part of the impromptu regional tour.
González, who twice served as Venezuela’s ambassador to Argentina more than two decades ago, used his visit to highlight the plight of hundreds of Venezuelans who remain imprisoned as part of a post-election crackdown by Maduro.
During his meeting with Milei, the two discussed the well being of five Maduro opponents who have been sheltering in the Argentine ambassador’s residence in Caracas for nearly 10 months. Maduro’s government broke relations with Argentina and expelled its diplomats after Milei and other regional leaders refused to recognize Maduro’s reelection.
But it has denied the activists holed up in the diplomatic compound safe passage so they can take up exile in Argentina. As part of the diplomatic standoff, Maduro’s government last month also arrested an Argentine national guardsman as he was entering the country, accusing him of terrorism. Argentina said the officer, Nahuel Gallo, traveled to Venezuela to visit his wife and her family, who are from Venezuela.
An estimated 220,000 Venezuelans are believed to reside in Argentina — part of an exodus of more than 7 million who have fled political turmoil, economic chaos and political repression by Maduro since 2014.
Janet Avila, a 51-year old school teacher who left Venezuela two years ago, was among those gathered outside the presidential palace to greet González.
“I’m very grateful to the Argentines, they’ve been beautiful to me, but I want to go home, to be with my family,” she said.
The Biden administration and most European governments have rejected the election’s official results, pointing out that authorities didn’t provide detailed results as they have in past elections. Meanwhile, copies of tally sheets collected by the opposition from 85% of the nation’s electronic voting machines show that González prevailed by a more than two-to-one margin.
González, 75, was a previously unknown career diplomat when he was thrust into rallying the anti-Maduro coalition as a last-minute stand-in for opposition stalwart María Corina Machado, whom the government banned from running for office.
VIENNA (AP) — Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer said Saturday he will resign in the coming days after talks on forming a new government failed a second time.
The announcement came after the People’s Party and the Social Democrats on Saturday continued coalition talks a day after the liberal Neos party’s surprise withdrawal from discussions.
“Unfortunately I have to tell you today that the negotiations have ended and will not be continued by the People’s Party,” said Nehammer, the conservative party’s leader, in a statement on social media.
He said that “destructive forces” in the Social Democratic Party have “gained the upper hand” and that the People’s Party will not sign on to a program that it considers to be against economic competitiveness.
Social democratic leader Andreas Babler said he regretted the People’s Party decision to end the talks. “This is not a good decision for our country,” he said.
Babler said that one of the main stumbling blocks had to do with how to repair the “record deficit” left by the previous government.
“I have offered to Karl Nehammer and the People’s Party to continue negotiating and called on them not to give up,” he told reporters Saturday evening.
The next government in Austria faces the challenge of having to save between 18 to 24 billion euros, according to the EU Commission. In addition, Austria has been in a recession for the past two years, is experiencing rising unemployment, and its budget deficit is currently at 3.7% of Gross Domestic Product — above the EU’s limit of 3%.
Babler blamed the collapse of the negotiations on “forces within the People’s Party” that were against a coalition with the Social Democrats, while praising Nehammer for his readiness to compromise.
A coalition between the People’s Party and the Social Democrats was considered shaky from the beginning since the two parties together only have a razor-thin one-seat majority in the Austrian parliament.
It was not immediately clear what would happen next.
The People’s Party will have to search for a replacement for Nehammer, who has always ruled out the possibility of a coalition with far-right leader Herbert Kickl. But Nehammer’s expected resignation could now prompt the party to rethink its options under new leadership.
People’s Party officials planned to meet Sunday to discuss choosing a new leader.
The People’s Party and the far-right Freedom Party are close on economic policies as well as other issues such as migration and are already working together in five coalitions on the local level.
An early election would be another option. But given Austrian election laws, such an election would unlikely take place before May.
Coalition talks had dragged on after Austria’s president tasked the conservative chancellor in October with putting together a new government. The request came after all other parties refused to work with the leader of the far-right Freedom Party, which in September won a national election for the first time with 29.2% of the vote.
According to the latest opinion polls published in December, the Freedom Party increased its support to between 35% and 37%.
Party leader Herbert Kickl criticized Nehammer, Babler and Austria’s President Alexander Van der Bellen in a written statement on Saturday evening for having created “chaos instead of stability” and said the ball is now in Van der Bellen’s court.
Van der Bellen is expected to make a statement tomorrow, Austrian’s public broadcaster ORF reports.
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Donald Trump on Saturday named Stanley Woodward, an attorney who has defended several of the incoming president’s top aides and associates as well as people charged in the Jan. 6, 2021 attack, to join his White House legal team.
Trump’s transition team said in a statement that Woodward would serve as an assistant to the president and a senior counselor, and would work closely with Trump’s White House chief of staff, previously named as Susie Wiles.
Trump last month tapped David Warrington as his top lawyer leading the White House legal team, reversing course on his earlier pick of William McGinley, who moved to work with an outside group led by billionaire Elon Musk and entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy.
Trump is scheduled to take office on Jan. 20.
Woodward, based in Washington, has represented multiple people in Trump’s circle over the years, including adviser Dan Scavino, trade adviser Peter Navarro and aide Walt Nauta.
He has also represented some defendants charged in the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, including Oath Keeper Kelly Meggs.
Trump also said three assistants who served in his first White House term would be returning: Robert Gabriel, Nicholas Luna and William “Beau” Harrison.
(Reporting by Susan Heavey and Nathan Layne; Editing by Jacqueline Wong)
(Corrects paragraph 3 to insert dropped words “is” and “to”)
WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (Reuters) -Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni flew to Florida to meet with President-elect Donald Trump on Saturday, as the key European leader sought to buttress ties with Trump before his inauguration on Jan. 20.
Members of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort welcomed Meloni with applause after an introduction by the president-elect, according to videos shared on social media by reporters and others.
Her trip comes days before she is to meet U.S. President Joe Biden during a visit to Rome from Thursday to Jan. 12. Trump defeated Biden in the November election and is preparing to return to the White House.
While no details of their meeting have been disclosed, Meloni had planned to talk with Trump about Russia’s war in Ukraine, trade issues, the Middle East and the plight of an Italian journalist detained in Tehran, according to Italian media reports.
Meloni’s office declined to comment on the reports.
She is seen as a potentially strong partner for Trump given her conservative credentials and the stability of the right-wing coalition she heads in Italy. She has also forged a close relationship with billionaire tech CEO Elon Musk, a close Trump ally who spent more than a quarter-billion dollars to help him win the election.
“This is very exciting. I’m here with a fantastic woman, the prime minister of Italy,” Trump told the Mar-a-Lago crowd, according to a media pool report. “She’s really taken Europe by storm.”
Trump and Meloni then sat down for a screening of a documentary questioning the criminal investigations and legal scrutiny faced by John Eastman, a former Trump lawyer who was central to Trump’s unsuccessful efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss.
One of the biggest challenges facing Meloni is the arrest of Italian journalist Cecilia Sala in Iran on Dec. 19.
Sala was detained three days after Mohammad Abedini, an Iranian businessman, was arrested at Milan’s Malpensa airport on a U.S. warrant for allegedly supplying drone parts that Washington says were used in a 2023 attack that killed three U.S. service members in Jordan. Iran has denied involvement in the attack.
On Friday, Iran’s foreign ministry summoned Italy’s ambassador over Abedini’s detention, Iranian state media reported.
Meloni became the latest in the handful of foreign leaders who have visited Trump in Florida since the Nov. 5 election. He has met with Argentinian President Javier Milei, Prime Minister Viktor Orban of Hungary, and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
(Reporting by Francesca Landini in Milan and Nathan Layne in West Palm Beach; Additional reporting Crispian Balmer; Editing by Timothy Heritage and William Mallard)
Habitat for Humanity CEO Jonathan Reckford tells CBS News about former President Jimmy Carter’s work with the nonprofit organization. Carter’s six-day state funeral began on Saturday.
source
The 19-year-old suspect was arrested and held without bond after several homemade explosive devices were found in a vehicle believed to have been stolen, officials said.
source
PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) – A second group of 75 Guatemalan soldiers arrived in the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince on Saturday to boost a United Nations-backed mission tasked with restoring order amid chaos wrought by gangs, the mission said.
Another 75 soldiers arrived a day earlier, taking the total Guatemalan troop numbers to 150. All the reinforcements come from Guatemala’s military police unit, Guatemala’s government said in a statement.
A further eight soldiers from El Salvador also arrived on Friday.
(Reporting by Harold Isaac, Editing by Franklin Paul; Writing by Drazen Jorgic)
(Corrects paragraph 5 to remove extraneous ‘not’)
By David Shepardson
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The U.S. Department of Justice asked the Supreme Court late on Friday to reject President-elect Donald Trump’s request to delay implementation of a law that would ban popular social media app TikTok or force its sale by Jan. 19.
Last week, Trump filed a legal brief arguing he should have time after taking office on Jan. 20 to pursue a “political resolution” to the issue. The court is set to hear arguments in the case on Jan. 10.
The law, passed in April, requires TikTok’s Chinese owner, ByteDance, to divest the platform’s U.S. assets or face a ban. TikTok did not immediately comment.
The DOJ said in its filing that Trump’s request could only be granted if ByteDance had established it was likely to succeed on the merits but the company had not done so.
DOJ said no one disputes China “seeks to undermine U.S. interests by amassing sensitive data about Americans and engaging in covert and malign influence operations.”
The government asserted that “no one can seriously dispute that (China’s) control of TikTok through ByteDance represents a grave threat to national security: TikTok’s collection of reams of sensitive data about 170 million Americans and their contacts makes it a powerful tool for espionage.”
Trump lawyer D. John Sauer wrote last week the president-elect “respectfully requests that the Court consider staying the Act’s deadline for divestment of January 19, 2025, while it considers the merits of this case, thus permitting President Trump’s incoming administration the opportunity to pursue a political resolution of the questions at issue in the case.”
TikTok on Friday urged the Supreme Court to block the law on free-speech grounds under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. It said Congress had not sought to ban Chinese-owned apps like Shein or Temu, which strongly suggests “it targeted TikTok for its social-media content, not its data.”
If the court does not block the law by Jan. 19, new downloads of TikTok on Apple or Google app stores would be banned but existing users could continue to access the app. Services would degrade over time and eventually stop working as companies will be barred from providing support.
Biden could extend the deadline by 90 days if he certifies ByteDance is making substantial progress toward a divestiture.
Trump’s support for TikTok is a reversal from 2020, when he tried to block the app in the United States and force its sale to American companies because of its Chinese ownership.
(Reporting by David Shepardson; Editing by William Mallard)
Seventeen years ago today, Nancy Pelosi became the first female Speaker of the House. That Sunday, she sat down with Face the Nation Moderator Bob Schieffer to talk about her goals for the 110th Congress and what being the first woman to hold the office means to her. She will again join Face the Nation tomorrow, January 5th, 2025. Tune in.
source
