Don’t miss a single snap, pass or play in today’s Cotton Bowl as the Ohio State Buckeyes face the Missouri Tigers.
source
With Ukraine’s counteroffensive all but stalled, winter setting in and aid for Ukraine from its allies in some doubt, Moscow hit hard from the air.
source
The state of Maine has removed Donald Trump from its primary ballot, but his campaign is vowing to appeal. It is the second state, following Colorado, attempting to block the former president from running again, alleging that he is disqualified by the 14th Amendment for his role in inciting the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol. Scott MacFarlane reports from Washington, D.C.
source
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is calling for accelerated war preparations in response to confrontational moves he says are led by the United States. CBS News’ Shanelle Kaul has more.
source
By Nidal al-Mughrabi and Bassam Masoud
CAIRO/GAZA (Reuters) -Israeli forces attacked areas of the central and southern Gaza Strip where residents have been expecting a renewed ground offensive in areas crammed with tens of thousands of Palestinians already displaced by the Israeli-Hamas war.
With nightfall on Thursday, an Israeli airstrike on a house in the southern city of Khan Younis killed eight Palestinians, health officials said. Three Palestinians were killed and six injured in an Israeli missile strike on a house in Maghazi camp in central Gaza, the Palestine Red Crescent said.
“The task here is to dismantle Hamas – so that it no longer has military and governing capabilities,” Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant said at a press briefing on operations in Khan Younis. “We will be required to show a lot of perseverance and determination.”
A Palestinian journalist posted pictures of Israeli tanks near a mosque in a built-up area of Bureij in central Gaza.
The Islamist group Hamas released video it said showed its fighters targeting Israeli tanks and soldiers east of Bureij. Reuters was not able to verify the location or the date the video was filmed.
“That moment has come, I wished it would never happen, but it seems displacement is a must,” said Omar, 60, who said he had been forced to move with at least 35 family members. He declined to give his surname for fear of reprisals.
Yamen Hamad has been living in a school in Deir al-Balah, also in central Gaza, since fleeing from the north. He said people newly displaced from Bureij and Nusseirat were setting up tents wherever there was open ground.
In one of Israel’s latest airstrikes, 20 Palestinians were killed and 55 wounded in Rafah, a major town near the southern border with Egypt, Gaza health ministry spokesman Ashraf Al-Qidra said. Their bombed building was housing displaced civilians, according to local medics and residents.
A Palestinian was shot dead by Israeli security forces, Palestinian authorities said, after stabbing two security personnel at a checkpoint near Jerusalem on Thursday. Israeli police said the personnel were mildly injured.
Hamas praised the attack and in a statement said: “we call on our people in the West Bank and occupied territories to intensify operations and confrontations with the Zionist enemy.”
The conflict has also rippled across the Middle East, notably with Iranian-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen attacking commercial vessels in the Red Sea to show their support for Hamas.
On Thursday, the U.S. military said it shot down one drone and one anti-ship ballistic missile in the Southern Red Sea that were fired by Houthis in the 22nd attempted attack on international shipping since Oct. 19.
There was no damage to any of the 18 ships in the area nor reported injuries, U.S. Central Command said on X website.
SEARCHING THROUGH RUBBLE
Reuters video showed rescuers scrabbling frantically through rubble to uncover and pull out victims including a baby and several children and rushing them through milling crowds of dazed and weeping people to the nearby Kuwaiti Hospital.
Palestinian health authorities said earlier that 210 people were confirmed killed in Israeli strikes in the past 24 hours, raising the toll of Palestinians killed in the war so far to 21,320 – nearly 1% of Gaza’s population. Thousands more dead were feared to be buried or lost in the ruins.
Over the course of the war, the Israeli military has expressed regret for civilian deaths but it accuses Hamas of operating in densely populated areas and using civilians as human shields, a charge the group denies.
Hamas and its fighters are dug deep into the Gaza Strip’s dense cities and towns and their leaders are still at large.
Israel has reported 169 of its soldiers killed in its Gaza campaign after Hamas fighters rampaged through Israeli towns in a cross-border raid on Oct. 7, killing 1,200 people and taking about 240 hostages.
Some 110 hostages were freed during a Nov. 24-Dec. 1 humanitarian pause and more than 20 others have been declared dead.
U.S. President Joe Biden said on Thursday that Hamas killed an American hostage, Judith Weinstein, 70, on Oct. 7. Last week he said her husband Gadi Haggai, 73, was killed on the same day.
The Israeli military released findings of an investigation into the killings in error by its troops of three Israeli hostages in Gaza on Dec. 15. Soldiers mistook their cries for help as a ruse by Hamas militants to draw them into an ambush, the military said, concluding that the soldiers acted rightly to the best of their understanding.
EGYPT’S PLAN TO END CONFLICT
Egypt confirmed that it had put forward a framework proposal to end the conflict between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip that includes three stages ending with a ceasefire and said it was awaiting responses on the plan.
The proposal is an attempt “to bring viewpoints between all concerned parties closer, in an effort to stop Palestinian bloodshed and the aggression against the Gaza Strip and restore peace and stability to the region,” Diaa Rashwan, head of Egypt’s State Information Service, said in a statement.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel will keep some form of security control of all Gaza indefinitely, though he insists that this would not amount to reoccupying the enclave.
(Reporting by Reporting by Nidal al-Mughrabi in Cairo, Bassam Masoud in Gaza and Emily Rose in Jerusalem; writing by Grant McCool; editing by Howard Goller and Michael Perry)
By Rich McKay and Joseph Ax
ATLANTA -A federal judge in Georgia upheld a Republican-drawn congressional map on Thursday, rejecting arguments from voting rights groups and Democrats that the latest district lines illegally diluted the voting power of Black residents near Atlanta.
The decision from U.S. District Judge Steve Jones likely ensures that Republicans will maintain their 9-5 advantage among the state’s 14 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.
“The court finds that the general assembly fully complied with this court’s order requiring the creation of Black-majority districts in the regions of the state where vote dilution was found,” Jones wrote in the order.
The case is one of several lawsuits whose outcomes could determine which party controls the House after next November’s vote. Democrats need to capture a net of five Republican seats nationally to win back a majority.
Jones, appointed to the bench by former Democratic President Barack Obama, had ordered lawmakers in October to create a new map that included an additional district with a Black majority or near-majority in order to comply with the 1965 Voting Rights Act.
While the state filed an appeal, Republican Governor Brian Kemp also scheduled a special legislative session to comply with the order.
In early December, the Republican-controlled legislature approved a map that added a majority-Black district west of Atlanta. But in doing so, lawmakers also dismantled a nearby district — represented by Democrat Lucy McBath, a Black woman — comprised mostly of minority voters, including Black, Hispanic and Asian residents.
Democrats and voting rights groups had argued that the revised map violated Jones’ ruling, which had said the state could not remedy the problem “by eliminating minority districts elsewhere.” Republicans asserted that their effort complied with the decision because McBath’s district was not majority Black.
“Today’s ruling is a validation of what we put forward,” Jon Burns, the speaker of the Republican-controlled Georgia House of Representatives, said in a statement. “Now we’re going to get back to the work of lowering costs of living, improving education, expanding access to healthcare and delivering results for the people of Georgia.”
The American Civil Liberties Union of Georgia, which helped represent the plaintiffs, disagreed with the ruling.
“Federal law requires an end to vote dilution and a real change for injured voters, not reshuffling the same deck,” Ari Savitzky, a senior ACLU of Georgia attorney, said in a statement. “We will continue to hold the General Assembly accountable until Georgia voters get the maps they deserve.”
It was not immediately clear whether the plaintiffs would appeal the district court’s decision.
The Georgia NAACP, a civil rights group, called the new map an example of “racial gerrymandering.”
“All of Georgia has now been diluted of our voices,” said Gerald Griggs, president of the Georgia NAACP, who criticized the judge’s ruling. “We respectfully disagree and look forward to further litigation on this issue.”
(Reporting by Rich McKay in Atlanta and Joseph Ax in Princeton, New Jersey; Additional reporting by Jasper Ward, Ismail Shakil and Kanishka Singh; Editing by Rosalba O’Brien and Caitlin Webber)
2024 Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley is backtracking her comments that did not mention slavery as a cause of the Civil War. Political strategists Terry Sullivan and Joel Payne join CBS News to examine the impact this could have on her campaign.
source
The Colorado Republican Party is appealing the state’s Supreme Court ruling that found former President Donald Trump ineligible to appear on the primary ballot. CBS News campaign reporter Katrina Kaufman explains where the case stands.
source
NEW YORK (AP) — The signs of life shown by the IPO market, especially in the second half of the year, are giving analysts hope that more companies will be enticed to go public in 2024.
Overall, 108 initial public offerings raised proceeds of about $19.4 billion in 2023, according to Renaissance Capital. That’s up from a dismal 71 IPOs for proceeds of $7.7 billion in 2022, when high inflation and rising interest rates discouraged companies from hitting the market.
This year’s big IPOs included healthcare products company Kenvue in May, U.K. chip designer Arm Holdings in September and footwear company Birkenstock in October. They accounted for over half of the total IPO proceeds, according to Renaissance Capital. Instacart also had a splashy IPO in late summer.
A post-pandemic surge for IPOs was stifled by the highest inflation in four decades in 2022, raising concerns about the economy buckling under the pressure. The Federal Reserve then embarked on a historic round of rate hikes to tame inflation, which made borrowing more expensive and increased caution in the IPO market.
The Fed’s preferred measure of inflation, the monthly personal consumption and expenditures report, has cooled to a pace of 2.6% from a high of 7.1% in the middle of 2022. Other measures of inflation, such as the consumer price index, reached a peak of 9.1% in 2022.
The central bank fought inflation by raising its benchmark rate from near zero to a range of 5.25% to 5.50%. The Fed has held that range steady for several months and has signaled that it could start cutting rates in 2024. Wall Street is betting that could happen early in the year.
Cooling inflation and falling interest rates could push the IPO market back toward a more normal level of activity, which averaged about 170 IPOs with average proceeds of about $43 billion from 2017 to 2019.
“While the IPO market’s recovery is still somewhat tenuous, all signs point to a solid pickup in 2024,” said Renaissance Capital in its recent IPO review for 2023.
The IPO market is expected to grow along with an economy. Corporate profits are expected to rise after shaking off an earnings recession. Earnings gains of just under 2% during the fourth quarter of 2023 could be followed by a gain of more than 8% in the first quarter of 2024 and 10% during the second quarter of 2024 for companies in the S&P 500, analysts forecast.
The S&P 500 index is on track to close the year with a gain of more than 20%.
Wall Street is increasingly expecting the Fed to achieve its so-called “soft landing” goal by trimming inflation to the central bank’s 2% target without an ensuing recession.
IPO activity could speed up as CEOs gain more confidence that the “soft landing” will happen, according to a Goldman Sachs analysis.
